Anyone done chip without exhaust?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guy's, the bloke I bought my chip off said all the makes do exactly the same thing, Got to say I'm also yet to be convinced otherwise. I just cant see what variables can be made different to make the chips out perform one or the other.

Hi Guys,

Yep, I tend to agree with you 08Kingcab.

When you think about it, seeing as many units go in downstream of the ECU, the chip can only fire the injector when it receives a signal from the ECU which means it can't alter the timing apart from retarding the timing. It can however, alter how long the injector fires for and maybe what pressure the rail runs at which effectively does the same thing (changes fuel quantity).

In reflection, is it likely that the engine will deliver up to 25-30% more power simply by adding more fuel? I don't think so. If Nissan were de-tuning their engines by 25%, couldn't they get away with a smaller motor and subsequently more economical and lighter.

When I had mine dyno'd, we tested two chips ; DP and Diesel Power, both underperformed from what they were supposed to put out.

They do work, but not to the stated figures I have seen thus far. Perhaps, the figures are more likely with a big bore dump pipe, modified Cat and clean straight through exhaust and muffler coupled with a chip. I'd like to be proven wrong.

After this saga, I offer this challenge to any diesel chip manufacturer. Send me your chip in any programming you think best suits my vehicle, I'll install it and have my car dyno'd. If the chip performs better than the DP chip, I'll buy it and pay an additional 10% above the RRP of the chip and pay for the Dyno and become the biggest advocate of your module. If it doesn't perform better, I'll send the chip back to you at your cost, and you pay for the dyno. I then post the dyno results on this forum.

I'm completely objective and only want to find a chip that works the best for my vehicle. I have no connections to any industry people and have no favourites.

It's an honest test, anyone confident enough in their product to take me up on it?

Cheers,

Deejay

Hi guys,

Back again <rolls eyes>. Update on the epic saga of the DP chip.

I rang the office again today and was told "Andrew is unavailable, please leave a message and we'll get back to you". Well, I spat it and blew up demanding he call back. Half an hour later Andrew was available and gave me a call. We discussed the issues with the Chip and it's performance. To quote an Allman Brothers lyric, "Gotta tell you baybeeee, we've come to the end of the line".

The black smoke is a sign of too much fuel and nothing more can be done without plugging into the ECU and fiddling with boost pressures etc. This also confirms my thoughts on the way the chips work, they just add more fuel, that's all. Once they start black smoking, the engine doesn't have enough oxygen to burn the amount of fuel in the cylinder. The only way to improve the performance now is timing advance (need to log into the ECU and do it via computer), increase boost (also through laptop) or bigger exhaust.

The point of maximum power has been reached without radical change which will void warranty, so there you have it, all chips will work pretty much the same and I don't think I can be bothered with trying another chip coz frankly I think it will be a lot of fucking around for no gain.

I'm pretty pissed off with the advertising of 20-30% power/Torque increases with better fuel economy. It's friggen rubbish. I got about 8% out of mine and will have to just settle for that. I still need to test mine towing and experiment now with different settings to achieve the best performance without black smoke and will do the exhaust at some [point later if I feel it needs a bit more of a kick. When I do that, I'll save my pennies and change just the Dump Pipe as the rest of the system is sufficient for a diesel IMHO. The STR ain't no high revving highly tuned sports car and doesn't need a big bore performance exhaust.

Will I ask for the refund? I'll let you know after the towing test. Problem is, some improvement is better than no improvement, but not as good as getting what you expected and were promised.

Saga concluded for the moment

Cheers,

Deejay

Last edited:
Hey Tony,

The chips load more fuel into the engine to produce the additional power. If you don't use the power, you may burn less fuel, problem is, when you have the power there, you tend to use it. I reckon I use about 5-8% more fuel and my output gain was around 8% so you aren't using tonnes more fuel to get a minimal gain, you are using corresponding percentages of fuel to power so long as the engine is burning it all completely. If it starts black smoking, you are no longer burning all the fuel and so are wasting unburnt fuel.

Hope this makes sense.

If you think about it, one millilitre of diesel will produce x amount of power. With a constant thermal efficiency factor, adding more fuel should theoretically produce that same additional amount of power until the engine reaches 100% thermal efficiency.

Cheers mate,

Deejay

wow - good work and top info DJ. I was being sucked in to the DP Chip as well with their advertising. Was never expecting to turn the Nav into a Skyline, but would have expected so much more from what they promised. Thanks for the info.

I have a local tuner who reckons he can dyno and tune the Nav with a chip for me for around $900. If he'll agree that I don't have to pay for the chip (will pay for the dyno stuff as needed) until I'm satisifed with the results (like a money back gaurantee) then he might get my business. But at least it won't take 3 weeks to hear back from the supplier if somethings not right.....

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your comments, but Jason is right, Nissan don't do an auto in the D22 and mine definately doesn't have the DPF nor does anyone on this forum to my knowledge. The D40 and D22 are completely different animals. Different ECU, Different dump pipe, differences between DPF and not, different turbo's, I believe different injectors and different Intercoolers.

Once you actually test one of your chips on a 2.5 STR D22, maybe then I'll be more of a believer, until then, you are making assumptions on a model you haven't even tested your chip on (much like DP Chip - They tested my chip on Andrews Pathfinder and they reckon it kicks arse). Forgive my scepticism, but I'm a little over "claims" by chip companies.

Regards,

DJ

THANKS DJ,

We have a kit available for the D22 2.5 that has been fitted, test driven and proven right here in Brisbane.
This system is without the DPF as per you comments. Tell me what you think.
Have you got a high flow exhuast on the Navara?
27193_106147672745171_100000498163472_165695_6931108_n.jpg

Hi Ben,

No I don't have the high flow exhaust. The 2009 2.5 CRD in the STR has a dump pipe which incorporates the catalytic converter bolted onto the turbo flange as I understand it.

I spoke to an exhaust mob over here recommended by all the diesel mechs and they said they wouldn't remove the Dump pipe because it will void factory warranty. They were happy to replace the exhaust from the dupm back, but it doesn't remove the major obstruction so there is no gain.

I'm sure the performance of my chip will be significantly lifted when I eventually replace the exhaust, but til then, I'm all for complying with the law and Nissan factory warranty.

Cheers,

DJ

G'Day Ben (4wdchip),
I'm more than happy to purchase one of your products if its at the right price to put in my
D22 STR Navara with my Taipan Exhaust system and put it through its paces on the dyno and get some real figures/graphs that I can post up on this forum to put a lot of members minds at rest...........mine including. Email or pm me [email protected], Cheers.

Hi all,

I have a 2005 D22 STR and I put in a DP Chip only. I have had no problems. However, I niticed an immediate increase in power and a small improvement in fuel consumption. Sometimes it's a bit embarrassing when I spin the back wheels!!

G'Day Ben (4wdchip),
I'm more than happy to purchase one of your products if its at the right price to put in my
D22 STR Navara with my Taipan Exhaust system and put it through its paces on the dyno and get some real figures/graphs that I can post up on this forum to put a lot of members minds at rest...........mine including. Email or pm me [email protected], Cheers.
Matt, I am happy to offer yourself and any senior members of the Navara Forum a $150.00 Discount on our RRP ($1,450.00) if they mention this thread.

Hi 4wdchip,

Just looking at your website and looks great, I have an 02' 3 lt D22 and looking around at various suppliers of 3" exhaust systems, DIY fitment.

Could you post a price for a
HPC Coated 3" Mandrel Bent Exhaust with dump pipe (price straight thru and price with muffler)
&
3" Mandrel Bent Exhuast 409 Stainless Steel with dump pipe (price straight thru and price with muffler)

Thanks in advance
STC

Hi 4wdchip,

Just looking at your website and looks great, I have an 02' 3 lt D22 and looking around at various suppliers of 3" exhaust systems, DIY fitment.

Could you post a price for a
HPC Coated 3" Mandrel Bent Exhaust with dump pipe (price straight thru and price with muffler)
&
3" Mandrel Bent Exhuast 409 Stainless Steel with dump pipe (price straight thru and price with muffler)

Thanks in advance
STC

Hey mate,
The 3.0 409 Stainless Exhaust is $1,450.00 and HPC Coating of the dump pipe is $125. (3" Mandrell Press bent system)

As A member of the forum I happy to offer you a deal of $1,400.00 all up including the HPC Coating.

What do you think?

THANKS DJ,

We have a kit available for the D22 2.5 that has been fitted, test driven and proven right here in Brisbane.
This system is without the DPF as per you comments. Tell me what you think.
Have you got a high flow exhuast on the Navara?
27193_106147672745171_100000498163472_165695_6931108_n.jpg

Hi 4wdchip, I'm keen to go a chip soon on my d22. I've got a 2 3/4 inch system from beaudesert with a new dump pipe etc. It made it better off the mark and tow up hills better as well. A few questions: Those dyno results you posted, was that with the standard exhaust or a high flow system? Also what brand of chip do you use?

Cheers Azza

after market chip

Gday I'm new to the forum and like to add a bit about chipping the Navara 2.5 D40 auto. I did as much research as I could on different brands checked as many forums before I decided I would go ahead. I was concerned that if something went wrong with the engine nissan may not cover the warranty. I eventually decided on a steinbauer chip which I now have done over 20,000 k's. I had not noticed a great improvement in power but it is smoother and doesnt rev as hard towing our 21' van weighing just on 2 tonne. I recently had what I thought was a serious engine problem when the engine light came on and loss of power and huge amount of white smoke from the rear of the ute. I did not want any issues with Nissan so I removed the chip before it went to nissan. It turned out to be a blocked exhaust filter which was covered by warranty. I have been driving the ute and done some towing without the chip on and have noticed that the ute does drive easier with the chip so I will reinstall it. As the chip is installed between the utes computer and the engine the data is not change on the utes computer. the chip can be turned off any time without drama

Hi Duck, welcome to the forum.

Can you confirm that it was the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) was the blocked filter? If so, and they had to do a forced regen, you should have lost the vehicle for a day while they went through the process (about 4 hours of hard running followed by a complete oil + oil filter change).

If it was the DPF, then perhaps the chip doesn't accomodate the DPF regen cycle, that might be something to talk to Steinbauer about.

D22 Module

Hi 4wdchip, I'm keen to go a chip soon on my d22. I've got a 2 3/4 inch system from beaudesert with a new dump pipe etc. It made it better off the mark and tow up hills better as well. A few questions: Those dyno results you posted, was that with the standard exhaust or a high flow system? Also what brand of chip do you use?

Cheers Azza

The Dyno graphs we Display are with a combined 3" Exhaust and Module tuned to match.
The module is Branded Roo Systems as we work at recalibrating the softwear inside the module. The original circuitboard, box ETC is supplied by a UK Based company called Tunit. They also supply a generic tuned module to the market.
You can expect similar result from your beaudesert exhuast with our module and it will come pretuned for you to fit easily.

The Dyno graphs we Display are with a combined 3" Exhaust and Module tuned to match.
The module is Branded Roo Systems as we work at recalibrating the softwear inside the module. The original circuitboard, box ETC is supplied by a UK Based company called Tunit. They also supply a generic tuned module to the market.
You can expect similar result from your beaudesert exhuast with our module and it will come pretuned for you to fit easily.

By looking on your website, the Dyno graph you displayed here is exactly the same as the one you use for the 3.0L D22. The power figures and curves are identical leading me to believe that you have not tested the chip on the 2.5CRD D22.

Ah righto thanks mate. I was just going off the D22 Navara graph on your website and its for the 3L, I couldnt find one for the D22 2.5L. Can i ask why you use 3" exhausts for all vehicles? All the exhaust people I have spoken to recommend a 2.5" for the 2.5CRD

Back