4WD trying to engage on its own

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMD

Reaction score
Hi all
We have a 2011 stx d40 manual, have had some problems develop overtime which we thought had all been resolved,, various things repaired /replaced , some general typical stuff ansd other major things
cllutch replaced by mechanic --followed by exhaust removed and new one fitted by my partner
but the most recent issues have been mostly abs sensor and 4wd not engaging at all--- abs sensor was replaced with a second hand one wghen clutch was done ,,but as expected didn't last long

just over a month ago rear RHS axle snapped -thankfully whilst turning onto highway at low speed
axle was replaced before xmas (second hand right hand side axle only along with the destroyed abs sensor --front sensor was not replaced then as part was delayed (but it has been now)

then on the 9th jan the 4WD light came on after a couple of unusual moments where its seemed car struggled to take off forwards , had to roll backwards to go forwards (hopefully makes sense, as i said things kind of developed so what we noticed that had occurred first didn't necessarily happen all the time)
the day the axle snapped the $WD light and handbrake light kept coming on as we drove along so to put it simply ,,having the 4wd light pop up more than once was enough for us to go .'nope we are getting it towed to mechanic!!'

so anyway car was inspected --transfer case sensors were also replaced
service carried out etc
picked car up yesterday and all was okay , then driving on highway and 4WD LO began trying to engage even tho the dial was still turned to 2WD ( I cant remember if it tried to engage4WD HI first or not as it was a fair few hours ago. but on the return trip home it was constantly trying to engage 4WD LO.
it would either stop on its own or turning the dial to 4wd then back to 2WD seemed to stop it ..
ended up pulling over and my partner jumped in the drivers seat and initiated a manual reset which appeared to do the trick for maybe 15mins ( cant tell you what distance travelled --but I'm sure someone could figure it out based on our speed of 100km )
it almost seemed it would try to engage when accelerating and stopped when take foot off., but I honestly cant say for certain that's exactly what happens as it also did it in cruise control on flat straight road.

anyway its really frustrating and is probably a simple reason for it and prob an even easier resolution but after what happened with the axle i dont want to take any chances ..

also given we drive regularily on gravel (really poorly maintained /pretty much NEGLECTED ) road through a Victorian national park would fitting these be a smart move for us ? does it actually work ? or would it trap the dirt and debris inside having an opposite affect

https://www.outbackequipment.com.au/roadsafe-4wd-abs-wire-protection-kit-for-nissan-na
look forward to hearing your advice !!
cheers Megan

Welcome aboard.

It sounds like there's a crossed (damaged?) wire on the transfer case. It's certainly one of the first things I'd check.

I'd also take a look at the engine bay, there are 3 black boxes: one behind the battery, one right beside the ABS unit and one near the ABS but toward the rear of the engine bay. The first one contains the transfer case relays, it would be a good idea to check these and make sure their contacts haven't fused or shorted.

Welcome aboard.

It sounds like there's a crossed (damaged?) wire on the transfer case. It's certainly one of the first things I'd check.

I'd also take a look at the engine bay, there are 3 black boxes: one behind the battery, one right beside the ABS unit and one near the ABS but toward the rear of the engine bay. The first one contains the transfer case relays, it would be a good idea to check these and make sure their contacts haven't fused or shorted.
goodo..will check those out!..

thanks for the quick response :)

How did you go with this mate?

I’m have exact problem right now, I replaced my he 3 switches on transfer with no luck. Thanks

How did you go with this mate?
I’m having the exact same problem right now. Thanks
yeah so it ended up being the 3 4WD switches under the car at the bottom of the transfercase. so just ordered them from nissan and was good to go. hope this helps

yeah so it ended up being the 3 4WD switches under the car at the bottom of the transfercase. so just ordered them from nissan and was good to go. hope this helps
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated

Latest posts

Back