Anyone done chip without exhaust?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear OutBush
Most exhaust shops use 2.5" systems as it's an easier fit for them. We've proven with back to back testing that a 3" system produces more power. If you're interested we can send you dyno graphs of a Hilux with a 2.5" system and then a 3" system. Most factory systems are 2-2.25" systems by going to a 3" you're increasing flow by 65-70%. Also can send you a dyno graph for the 2.5 D22 if you'd like. Let me know

Dear OutBush
Most exhaust shops use 2.5" systems as it's an easier fit for them. We've proven with back to back testing that a 3" system produces more power. If you're interested we can send you dyno graphs of a Hilux with a 2.5" system and then a 3" system. Most factory systems are 2-2.25" systems by going to a 3" you're increasing flow by 65-70%. Also can send you a dyno graph for the 2.5 D22 if you'd like. Let me know

The problem is every one who manufactures an exhaust says the same thing.
Ring Beaudesert who say they have tested & tested and the best is 2.75", which makes it hard for us consumers to know who actually has done testing on all 3 sizes and can prove what is the best...

gday all Im new to this forum but have been following this thread for a while and was wondering if anyone has heard off Chipit chips they are only a new company based in Perth , they offer same type ofwarranty on their chip which is fully programmable for half the price of DP

gday all Im new to this forum but have been following this thread for a while and was wondering if anyone has heard off Chipit chips they are only a new company based in Perth , they offer same type ofwarranty on their chip which is fully programmable for half the price of DP

hey raigo
yes they are on this site also.
i have been researching chips for a while now and still not sure which to get..
they cant supply dyno graphs to prove the performance increases. the thing i dont quite like with the chip it chip is that they increase the boost pressure on the turbo, which might be too much if you do your exhaust aswell.
DP have not got a good wrap at all..
there are plenty of others around aswell..

sounds like to me, the exhaust is the way to go to start with.

Then maybe a chip after that.

I did block off my egr thing and it made a difference. deejay i reckon do that to your car.
No more smoke either.

its not a load of power but i can notice it. I am glad i blocked it off.

next for me i think is the exhuast and dump pipe.
then chip.

Hi Duck, welcome to the forum.

Can you confirm that it was the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) was the blocked filter? If so, and they had to do a forced regen, you should have lost the vehicle for a day while they went through the process (about 4 hours of hard running followed by a complete oil + oil filter change).

If it was the DPF, then perhaps the chip doesn't accomodate the DPF regen cycle, that might be something to talk to Steinbauer about.

Gday sorry for the long delay as we took off with the van again and did another 14,000 odd K/s we have just got back and havent had a chance yet to workout the fuel consumption. We had no problems on the trip and accoding to the dealer it was the the filter which they claimed they replaced long with the sensor, they did have the vehicle for 2 days and I had a sheduled service as well

14,000km - awesome! Good to see and glad it went well for you.

Maybe we should talk about DPFs over in the Mobile Salon (D40) forum though, there's already a thread there :big_smile: see ya over there!

Hi all, I bought a DPchip for my new ST D40 and started touring with 2.5T van. Couldn't notice any difference so tried to contact DPchip---well thats difficult to do. Eventually they told me to up the settings and top setting did not work either. Sent it back and about a month later it returned. Tried it again and put it in top setting but could not notice any obvious change. In desperation I had a dyno test done. 100kw before chip & 109.7kw after chip, 10% increase but could not notice this change. According to Turbotech fuel consumpsion remained the same.
I am still not happy & rang DPchip who are reluctant to do anything but eventually agreed to look at it again. They are very difficult to deal with & sometimes hard to contact. If Andrew dies the Co will die to. This saga has been going on for 4 months.

Hi all, I bought a DPchip for my new ST D40 and started touring with 2.5T van. Couldn't notice any difference so tried to contact DPchip---well thats difficult to do. Eventually they told me to up the settings and top setting did not work either. Sent it back and about a month later it returned. Tried it again and put it in top setting but could not notice any obvious change. In desperation I had a dyno test done. 100kw before chip & 109.7kw after chip, 10% increase but could not notice this change. According to Turbotech fuel consumpsion remained the same.
I am still not happy & rang DPchip who are reluctant to do anything but eventually agreed to look at it again. They are very difficult to deal with & sometimes hard to contact. If Andrew dies the Co will die to. This saga has been going on for 4 months.

If your not happy with the result, or service then ask for your money back. I personally think a 10% increase is pretty good, with what I'm guessing is the standard exhaust system.

After four months or so they are not happy to give me my money back. 10% sounds ok but there are no noticeable differences when I am towing the van. I have taken it out so I might have to put it back in and try it again.

hi guys, what was the out come in the end of the DP saga? A VERY intersting read i must say.

Hey maddogrc,

Business is hotting up for me at the moment and I don't get to drive my ute much when working so I'll start looking around as I get time. If I find someone decent, I'll surely let you know.

Cheers mate,

DJ
mate can you please let me know how your d22 goes after putting the dpchip in also what does nissan say with exhaust change and 3 year warranty....Stuie?

I have a 2010 D22 STR without an exhaust and with a chip, my temps have never been abnormal and the performace boost is HUGE. I do plan to get an exhaust eventually but I don't think it's completely necessary unless you are tuning the hell out of the chip.

Hi Guys,

Back again! It has been a most interesting morning and I've learned bloody heaps of stuff about heaps of stuff. This is going to be a fairly lengthy post so settle in and grab a coffee, or a rum!

Firstly, the guys at Turbotech are sensational and provide a great service many thanks to Jeff and Nathan.

Here are the FACTS ....

We tested the Nav as a stock unit with chip and harness completely removed.
Maximum Power on average was 69.9kw (three runs which progressively produced weaker results as the turbo and engine temp rose. The torque was around 213Nm all measured at rear wheels of course.

Second run was with the DP chip set on mid settings, now keep in mind that the chip had been reprogrammed to high output from mid settings. The runs produced (from memory) around 72kw and can't recall the torque but would have been around 226Nm.

Final runs on the DP chip were on max setting and the rear wheels measured ~74.2kw and Torque was ~ 237Nm

After having tested the chip and found it to be lacking considerably behind the stated power increases by DP chip, I asked the guys if they would put their chip to the test, they agreed as they hadn't done the D22 CRD Dyno test on their chip. If it was better I was going to purchase it there and then and talk to DP about a refund.

Their chip plugged in and tested ~2kw above standard power or around 70.2kw and ~222Nm.

Upon second runs on the higher setting they produced almost 72kw and 228Nm. It is interesting to note that the torque curve for the Diesel power chip produced it's torque much earlier in the rev range and tapered pretty quickly from 3000rpm whereas the DP chip created peak torque at just before 3000.

navdyno.jpg

At the end of the day, the reason I bought the ship was for overtaking of trucks fully loaded at highway speeds so I stuck with the DP chip. The Diesel power chip would suit a tradesman much better as the torque was much lower and would make the Nav drive heaps better at lower town speeds.

I paid for Turbotechs time and service and can't speak highly enough of their professionalism and customer service.

The discussion with the Dyno operator Nathan was interesting, he suggested that the latest model CRD engines are so sophisticated that despite the best efforts of chip manufacturers, the engine still ruled the roost. Ie, the figures dropped as the heat increased this was primarily due to the ECU sensing high turbo and engine temps, this lead to the ECU reducing fuel mixture as indicated on other pages on the Dyno. So, just adding more fuel doesn't increase the power, the engine decides how hot it will get and how much power it will produce, not the chip. I think this will be the same with all chips on these late model engines. Different story on the ZD30's and older engines. There was a serious drop in fuel/air mixture as heat and load increased.

He also mentioned that he had seen D40, stock pumping out around 75kw at the rear wheels, so I guess that was what I wanted in the first place, to be similar to D40 power.

On my way home, I got a call from a friend of a friend who does mufflers and exhausts and he wanted to have a look at the YD25 exhaust. He owns a Nad ZD30 ST-R a,d knows about the Dumps etc.

Bad news here, the Dump IS restrictive and it has an integral Cat. By removing the cat and dump, you WILL void warranty and that's game over, so no exhaust change for me. He wanted to replace the flange back for around $440, but the restriction in the highest pressure point and regardless how good the rest of the system is, the restriction is still there unless the restriction cumulatively is greater in the remainder of the exhaust, so I opted to forget about it.

The attached graphs show the stock run in Green, DP Chip in Red, Diesel Power chip in Magenta and then again at a higher setting in Black.

In summary, I'll be keeping my chip and am satisfied with the performance, but am pissed at the chasm between the results and the promises. I intend to speak to DP, but I don't know what I expect from that apart from self satisfaction of venting a bit.

I hope this has helped anyone reading this thread make a more informed decision as to what will be right for their particular situation.

I now open the floor to your comments,

Cheers,

DJ

Fantastic work DJ your time and effort will be appreciated by many, I thank you.

Mate that is pissweak customer service. It's stupid really, I wonder how many people have read this thread and will never buy one of their chips.....

It could have been solved so much earlier.

Me for 1.

Latest posts

Back