2013 D22 lack of power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samt9892

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First post here!

I recently brought a 2013 D22 Navara 4x4 with the YD25 2.5CR engine (Australia).

The Car:
She had 220000kms (136700miles) at purchase and seemed in generally good condition, serviced every 15000kms as per logbook (seems a bit too long between services for me considering how ***** the fuel quality is in Aus) and EGR wasn't blanked, definitely had been used to tow previous owners boat and probably a trailer as he used it for doing fencework, clutch seemed a bit worn as expected but at $8000 aud still seemed a good deal for our market. First thing I did was blank the EGR off (plate next to the valve) and give her a full service - filters, all oils and all new belts and for the first 6000kms she seemed sweet as a nut, tackling a few decent 4x4 beach trips out here in Western Australia.

The problem:
Now sitting on 228000kms and for the last 2000kms she's seemed a bit down on power and seems to be getting progressively worse, the other day I couldn't make it up a reasonable hill in 1st, had to get a real run up to get up there. Real lack of power between 1000-2000rpm, at about 2200rpm the car picks up again, slight juddering and a bit of a grumble as the car accelerates through this range, especially in lower gears. Also doesn't get any sort of powerband in 5th gear >2000rpm, = about 100kmph and struggles to go above 110kmph (though it is rare that I need to). This lack of power is really noticeable on hills and she blows a lot of black smoke (visible in rearview) when climbing hills or when really putting the boot down on the flat or otherwise, its like there is no increase in power between half throttle and full throttle now when between 1000-2000, just more black smoke coming out of the rear, so I generally try and nurse her through this range, which means being overtaken by push bikes at the lights..

Troubleshooting:
I've tried cleaning the MAF sensor with contact cleaner, was a little dirty but nothing too bad - no improvement. I've dropped the engine oil a total of 3 times now in the 8000kms ive had her (with engine flush additive twice) and no noticeable improvement - oil still blackens immediately (damn EGR). Took the EGR valve off and cleaned that (bit pointless as blanked but ah well, stuck my hand in the intake manifold and its pretty dirty in there. Both diffs, transfer case and gearbox oils were in decent state when they came out so didn't do those again. Did the fuel filter and air filter a second time - no improvement, tried an injector cleaner and started filling up with BP ultimate instead of cheaper alternatives, slightly less black smoke but no power improvement. I've got a bluetooth OBD2 reader and no fault codes current or previous, and nothing untoward on the live diagnostics - rail pressure, temps and MAF seems fine, however no MAP / boost sensor on this D22 so cant rule out the turbo playing up..

Anyone had similar issues with their common rail YD25s? Seems like its a fuel-air ratio issue? Hoping its just the turbo and not the injectors, I have a friend with the same car in 2014 model with only 97000kms so hoping to get a drive of his sometime and compare power - cant imagine these engines are normally this gutless...

Here's OBD readouts from a trip I did today, 3 hours of flat motorway driving, looks pretty normal to me:

At a bit of a loss at this point, anyone got any suggestions for diagnosis before I seek out a local mechanic who is more likely than not to try and pull my pants down.. IF anyones got any decent diesel mechanic recommendations for Perth that would be sweet!

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

Cheers
Sam

Hi, I drive the same car, bought it new. I think $8,000 was indeed a good deal for that car, but a couple of things;
1. Everything that you've written in your "the problem" is normal for a YD25 D22. They don't spool up till around 2,000RPM - your lack of power between 1,000 - 2,000RPM is very normal. No power band in 5th gear is also very normal. Black smoke under load, or heavy right foot is normal too.
2. If you have any larger than stock tyres on it (265/70/R16) it will be even worse.

I like them, because they're very basic & that appeals to me, but they are the slowest dual cab Ute you'll ever drive. I've been in one for 10 years now (had another one before this one) & they've taken me all over the outback without any dramas. I get a bit over how slow it is around town, but out bush it shines!

I'll just add that if you've noticed a definite power decline - as in it's noticeably worse - you ought to check the turbocharger and the air paths between the turbo and the inlet manifold.

Examine all the joins between the turbo and the intake manifold for any black oily emissions. The black oil in there is expected (crankcase vent should be piped to the air pipe in front of the turbo) but a leak is certainly not! If you find a leak, give it a good clean and correct it.

If that doesn't fix it, pop the hose off the front of the turbocharger and wiggle the shaft - it shouldn't - and give it a spin, it should be smooth (no roughness at all, it can be a little bit "reluctant"). Also pop the hose off the intercooler, look inside (wipe your finger inside the hose) and examine your finger under a bright light looking for metallic flakes which will indicate an impeller/housing rub or a bearing that's letting go.

"Anyone had similar issues with their common rail YD25s? Seems like its a fuel-air ratio issue? Hoping its just the turbo and not the injectors, I have a friend with the same car in 2014 model with only 97000kms so hoping to get a drive of his sometime and compare power - cant imagine these engines are normally this gutless... "

Take that 2014 model for a spin Sam, they are just as you've described above!

Driving mine around town (stop/start traffic) towing an 8x5 cage trailer empty is a PITA, if I put any weight in the trailer & it really isn't much fun at all. It's OK when you're up & running, I can haul that trailer full of timber up the Grove Way, or up Macintyre Rd & it pulls like at train in 4th gear if i keep the revs up above 2,200RPM. But put it in 5th, or get held up by a slower vehicle & it will die.

I put up with it because I really like the reliability out bush.

We've driven a YD25 D22 along the Gibb River Road – the Bungle Bungles – Parry’s Lagoon - the Old Jim Jim Road in Kakadu – Rainbow Valley – the Oodnadatta Track 3 times – the Mereenie Loop – Palm Valley – Chambers Pillar – Mt. Dare twice - Dalhousie – the Old Ghan Heritage Track - The Painted Desert – Lambert’s Centre – Finke, twice – Old Andado – Santa Teresa - Cameron Corner – Innamincka via Epsilon – the Dig Tree – Milparinka - Tibooburra - the Warri Gate twice – Noccundra – the Dowling track – Hungerford to Eulo -Toompine - Betoota – Windorah – Birdsville – Big Red – Birdsville Track – Roper Bar – Nathan River Road- Lorella Springs – Borroloola – Savannah Way - Hells Gate – Doomadgee – the Gawler Ranges twice – the Flinders Ranges (Many times) - Kangaroo Island – the Arkaroola/Yunta Road – White Cliffs to Wanaaring via Peery lake – the Hamilton Gate – Haddon Corner – Bedourie – Boulia – Plenty Hwy – Binns track – N’dala gorge – Altunga - East & West MacDonnell Ranges, Nuccaleena – Morgan/Yunta Mail Run.................................

We also have a Pajero & it has done a fair amount of outback travel too, but they are chalk and cheese around town!

Back