Sports bar mounted lights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve1961

Reaction score
Here's a question for all you boffins
now i know its " illegal " to use sports bar mounted lights on the road , so question is whats their legality at all ? specifically the wiring , i figure if they are allowed to actually be there ( and iam sure they are if they have black outs over the lenses ) , they must not be wired in any way to the vehicles lights ?
think away boffins , looking forward to the ideas

not sure,dont see an issue unless you use them on road and they really aren't that good on road,
mine are wired direct and will only ever be used off road for flood light effect

I have mine mounted but not wired in as yet.
I intend on having them wired in so i can have them with high beams but ill also have a cut off switch under the dash so there is no accidental blinding of people.
i wont havethem working till i finish my second battery though. I forgot to mention that i was going to run a plug in the tub for when im in the city so i will have them disconnected.
i remember back in 06 i was told that its ok provided they were not powered or plugged in, dont quote me on that though as its was hearsay.

Last edited:
You cannot have a light source above 1200mm above the ground so yes it is illegal. Also even if you have a cover over it is classed as intent and you will cop a fine .

Wiring for you lights on the bullbar must have a switch and wired into the high beam active of the car also the lights must be in pairs of two so having 3 on the bar is not allowed i only found all this out after many times being pulled over and contesting the fines.

You cannot have a light source above 1200mm above the ground so yes it is illegal. Also even if you have a cover over it is classed as intent and you will cop a fine .

Wiring for you lights on the bullbar must have a switch and wired into the high beam active of the car also the lights must be in pairs of two so having 3 on the bar is not allowed i only found all this out after many times being pulled over and contesting the fines.

Cant believe that " intent my arse " my car does over 100 kph , does that mean i " intend " to use it on a public road ? NO but i can on a track , just as i can use the lights on private property , and i know the legalities for the bullbar ones , and i vaguely remember the covers must be fitted to high mounted lights on public roads

They will still get you for intent depends on the copper the fact is over 1.2 mtrs you cannot have lights if you drive on a public road you risk a fine cover them up and that's where they get you obviously private property is not a problem.

I first got done in 91 ended up in court after that i fitted a removable rack with quick connectors that i fitted when i got out of town i wired into the high beam with a switch via the relay.

On another note i got pulled over on my ttr250 it has rego for a single seater i almost got done because the footpegs for the pillion were attached i only use them for when i double the kids when we go bush still the respose was it shows you intend to have a pillion i had to remove them on the side of the road as he watched.

Well John , by that reckoning , every taxi in Victoria is illegal with their roof mounted spot lights , come to think of it that's Townsville and Rockhampton too , along with every LED light bar mounted in the same spot , not to mention any light bar mounted to the top brace of a bullbar ( i just measured mine and its 1250 to the lower of the top strut ) and half of the bullbar mounted driving lights period !!!! looks like we should park our trucks and obey the law , so i dont know what we do

Like i said Steve that's the law and if you have an arrogant member that dictates and fines you so be it in no way am i saying don't do it at the end of the day if you contest it that's the end of you.

This is just personal experience of mine look even the copper that booked me once had lights on both sides of his rack to see house numbers at night i mentioned they were over 1200mm i was told they were exempt being emergency services.

So the taxis the pizza delivery driver the newspaper delivery guy the after hours doctor that all have lights on the roof are breaking the law but seldom do the boy's book them they just pick on 4wd people but you might go for the bars up there and not have a problem for years.

I would just say stuff it and do it if you want to chances are you won't have a problem i don't think sparra has reported one so just do it remember i don't agree with the law one bit just sharing my bad experiences.

John

I know John , but in reality if that's their intention , your going to get done for tires etc etc etc , i still think if their covered they will leave you alone

Like i said Steve that's the law and if you have an arrogant member that dictates and fines you so be it in no way am i saying don't do it at the end of the day if you contest it that's the end of you.

This is just personal experience of mine look even the copper that booked me once had lights on both sides of his rack to see house numbers at night i mentioned they were over 1200mm i was told they were exempt being emergency services.

So the taxis the pizza delivery driver the newspaper delivery guy the after hours doctor that all have lights on the roof are breaking the law but seldom do the boy's book them they just pick on 4wd people but you might go for the bars up there and not have a problem for years.

I would just say stuff it and do it if you want to chances are you won't have a problem i don't think sparra has reported one so just do it remember i don't agree with the law one bit just sharing my bad experiences.

John

I many years ago used to work in an industry that fitted out Victorian police vehicles , and i know that comment that was made to you was crap , as the vehicles we fitted out had to comply with all relevant vic roads laws at the time , its even the same now with laws , regardless of what they tell you , their not allowed to use mobile phones whilst driving , they do have an exemption for 2 way radios however

ok well with a bit of lateral design , i can make the light bar mount comply , but that's another can of worms in its self , as i do know lights to comply with vic roads reg , lights have to be fitted in pairs , ie you cant have 3 spot lights on your bullbar , so how that works with light bars is anyone's guess

Think its big o fabrications in south oz, they have a pneumatic operated light bar to mount your roof lights on, lower it and your lights point skyward( not illegal as not forward facing ) raise it and your lights light the road ahead

Latest posts

Back