Which winch are you using and why?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanguard

Reaction score
There has been so much said on just about every forum and magazine about this, don't know what to believe anymore. Need to buy a winch in the coming week but don't know what to go for. Warn seem to be good, everyone raves about them but the price is a killer. Plus I'm not looking to get into competitions etc. Any good alternatives? Has anyone tried ironman? Or any others?

I've got an AutoXS (Aldi). Looks like it comes from the same factory as Tigerz, Ironman etc (or a closely related factory).

Warn get their reputation and price tag because they are rock solid. I do think the price might be a little too high, but that's their business.

I suppose the key thing to the winch is that it does what it claims to be able to do (fitness for purpose). If you install it correctly and maintain it, there's no reason why an Ironman or similar can't do what you need it to do.

Gday,

try this one same as an ironman and many of the others you will see and it 12000lb.
I was only really after a 9500lb but look at the price, dimensionaly no bigger,
has 265:1 gearing and its great.

Have a look around but I doubt you'll find a better price,
but I'm sure you'll find out soon.

4X4 12000lbs / 12000 4WD 12V Wireless Electric Winch (eBay item 150546993855 end time 14-Jan-11 21:00:58 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

Yes its up for bidding but i still got it for that 429 price

and dont bid more than 439 as it is 'buy it now' for 439.

Oh, almost forgot, mine came with a synthetic rope and hearse/aluminium fairlead.

Bloody bargain I reckon

:cheers!:

Last edited by a moderator:
Superwinch X9 (Toyota OEM )
Has worked well in the past few times I have needed it but failed last time out. Possibly full of mud and muck and in need of a service. Am going to drop it out this weekend for a look see.
Why? Traded it for a few boxes full of Kawasaki parts I no longer needed. Bloke happened to mention he had this near new winch in his garage when he came to pick up the bits and pieces. Since the sale of parts to him was to fund 4x4aholism it was a done deal.
Chinese goods are definitely getting better everyday and will do as claimed, longevity is getting better also. They are the new Japan of the 60's and 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post

"Plus I'm not looking to get into competitions etc. "

Yep that Patrol cost him an arm, a leg and a frontal lobe :sarcastic:

I was going to reply to it but gave him time to edit......
Dumbass! :big_smile:

Thanks guys.
Had a look at the ironman winch today. It has lots of features for the money.
Decisions, decisions.... Too hard...

if i was looking for a cheaper winch then the premier, i'd consider the tigerz11 over the ironman.

Superwinch X9 (Toyota OEM )
Has worked well in the past few times I have needed it but failed last time out. Possibly full of mud and muck and in need of a service. Am going to drop it out this weekend for a look see.

Might have something to do with trying to pull a nav with front wheels facing opposite directions, That must have been a big pull

iv got an tigerz 12000pd single speed, iv used it many times and it hasnt failed yet. been under water a few times and still runs, only issue i have is after the first use the wireless remote never worked again, and when under load backing the winch back out it makes some clunking noises that im yet to look into but im sure it just needs a good service. allot of people run the tigerz and swear by them, even on patrols that go out looking for bog holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post

"Plus I'm not looking to get into competitions etc. "

Yep that Patrol cost him an arm, a leg and a frontal lobe :sarcastic:

I was going to reply to it but gave him time to edit......
Dumbass! :big_smile:

Wow totally misread that one! First week back at work hasn't being kind to me at all, stressed out to the max.

iv got an tigerz 12000pd single speed, iv used it many times and it hasnt failed yet. been under water a few times and still runs, only issue i have is after the first use the wireless remote never worked again, and when under load backing the winch back out it makes some clunking noises that im yet to look into but im sure it just needs a good service. allot of people run the tigerz and swear by them, even on patrols that go out looking for bog holes

My brother bought a winch with wireless remote and the bloody thing turned on while driving it picked up a signal from something, lucky we got to the isolater in time not that it mattered he threw it out too dangerous, after that I got myself a TJM OX 9500P in the 4WD Action test this came in third and was still $600 cheaper than the Premier.

It has now been flogged numerous times and just keeps going for the price I paid I can by 2 to 1 Warn not that I'll need to just keep up the servicing great winch can't bulls&$t enough about it.

My brother bought a winch with wireless remote and the bloody thing turned on while driving it picked up a signal from something, lucky we got to the isolater in time not that it mattered he threw it out too dangerous, after that I got myself a TJM OX 9500P in the 4WD Action test this came in third and was still $600 cheaper than the Premier.

It has now been flogged numerous times and just keeps going for the price I paid I can by 2 to 1 Warn not that I'll need to just keep up the servicing great winch can't bulls&$t enough about it.

Can't bull$hit at all about my Warn XD9000......apart from running it out and in a couple of times I've never had a call to use it......someday :))

Good reason for an isolator...
I thought of that very same senario when installing mine so i put an isol in.

I have the Ironman 12K pound winch in my front Ironman winch bar - only used it twice for recoveries. performed very nicely for me both times.

I have just purchased a 12K single speed Tigerz11 winch and have it in a rear mount frame - and got the shop to put a large anderson plug onto the winch control main power cables. Realy easy to hook up to the rear 2nd battery and is ready to use in a couple of minutes of setting up. The Tigerz11 winch comes with rope as standard, instead of cable. very nice.

On friday, i pulled the rope out of the tigerz winch and run it back in with a bit of tension. I also did the same to the ironman winch which has the steel cable. I cant wait until i have a reason to pull the cable of the ironman and put rope on ... soooo much lighter and easier to use.

Woody is ready for ANY VNOG recovery that will be needed. !!!!! LOL
(it does seem a prerequesite these days for a VNOG outing)

just a note aswell with anyone with a tigerz winch, just check the lug on the end of the cable that atatches to the winch drum as i got mine installed by a 4x4 shop when my bullbar was fitted and on my first outing needed to use the winch and the rope pulled straight out of the lug as it wasnt crimped properly.

I thought the cable had some paint on it and you weren't supposed to pull it out past where you could see the paint. I think you have to leave 5 turns on the drum or something like that, crimping the thing into place isn't going to hold 4+ tonnes.

Back