Which winch are you using and why?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't forget not all winches are rope compatible. I know the premier and tigerz are

Woody is ready for ANY VNOG recovery that will be needed. !!!!! LOL
(it does seem a prerequesite these days for a VNOG outing)

When did the tilt tray go on?

tow+truck.jpg

Aido where are these pics coming from???
but on topic I'm using super cheap auto 'Ridge Ryder' yet to be used in anger.
why? price is the only reason you would pick this winch.

So you got your bars made then?

If not, I might be selling my Sahara bar soon if that interests you

You have got to be kidding....

I folded. Everyone was taking so long to get back to me about making a custom bar that I folded and bought a sahara bar. Getting it installed over today and tomorrow in fact. Why are you selling yours? Hey it wasn't you I saw in Pyrmont about a week ago was it?

Also it may be a good idea to put in a kill switch or something for a winch. Went hunting recently and a few farm boys decided to play a joke on some poor city bloke. ran his winch over the roof and onto his rear tow points and jammed the controller plug with a pin. It was a mess!

After many considerations, finally settled on a Magnum.
Apparently they are made by warn but are an entry level model and the price is good. $1k

Will winches other than the Warn fit on standard steel nissan bar.. (Thai built)

I would suggest that they would. The mounting holes would be fairly standard. From a business point of view, insisting that someone replace their bullbar so they can fit their cut-price winch isn't a good idea.

You have got to be kidding....

I folded. Everyone was taking so long to get back to me about making a custom bar that I folded and bought a sahara bar. Getting it installed over today and tomorrow in fact. Why are you selling yours? Hey it wasn't you I saw in Pyrmont about a week ago was it?

Also it may be a good idea to put in a kill switch or something for a winch. Went hunting recently and a few farm boys decided to play a joke on some poor city bloke. ran his winch over the roof and onto his rear tow points and jammed the controller plug with a pin. It was a mess!

Could quite easily have been me, i'm all over the city.

Why am I selling mine........... V6 Diesel baby!

After many considerations, finally settled on a Magnum.
Apparently they are made by warn but are an entry level model and the price is good. $1k

I'll be keen to see how this goes Vanguard. They are made by Warn as an option to compete with the new models around. 9000lb. Write ups I have read are good - solid components etc. When the time comes I'll be looking at one of these. I was quoted $1095 as "the book price" by my mechanic who supplies ARB gear also. I like the idea that it is made by a company with a lengthy reputation for quality.

I know a lot of blokes are going for the Tigerz11 and rope package but I'm sceptical of the cheap stuff - but that's just me and probably why I'm always broke! Horses for courses.

Woody - I thought your Ironman failed at Kurth Kiln - something electrical?

Xdyna winches are combined with innovation, new functions, more durability, more reliability, and high cost performance. The UNIQUE features of Xdyna winches are as following:

Powerful Series-Wound motor with Bidirectional Electromagnetic Brake (BE Braker);

Bidirectional Electromagnetic Brake (BE Braker) avoids heating the winch drum during no load operations;

PPCB(Permanent Pressure Carbon Brush Structure)prolong the motor life span nearly by 2.5 times;

Two-speed Clutch System (Two-Speed Series) enables a wire rope spool-in speed at 28m/min under no load or light load;

Automatic Clutch System (Top-Value Series) enables 100% gears engagement;

Adjustable Torque Limiter (ATL) enhances the machine’s reliability, and presents full consideration of emergency;

Presently, supplying five main series,
the Two-Speed Series ,
the Top-Value Series,
the auto cluth series .
the twin motor winch series
the Auto two speed series

Hey Guys

Pretty new to the 4wding game. I am looking into buying a winch. Was at the 4x4 show in Brisbane on the weekend and was asking around and gathering info. It was helpful to some extend, however thought it was a bit sales driven. Spoke to Ironman and ARB (Magnum winch).

I am also curious to get peoples ideas on rope or cable. Also why do some of you have a 12000lb winch when you only need a 9000lb to get a navara out?

Cheers
Nernstie

I got an iron man winch and it works fine. I fitted to my standered nissan bar. Just had to move the housing one eather end around.

Hey Guys

Pretty new to the 4wding game. I am looking into buying a winch. Was at the 4x4 show in Brisbane on the weekend and was asking around and gathering info. It was helpful to some extend, however thought it was a bit sales driven. Spoke to Ironman and ARB (Magnum winch).

I am also curious to get peoples ideas on rope or cable. Also why do some of you have a 12000lb winch when you only need a 9000lb to get a navara out?

Cheers
Nernstie

i use a 12000lb Kingone winch that "avenger" import they call them the "MACO TDS 12" I saw them win the 4WD action comparo (which doesnt always mean that much) and they were half the price of the warn,
The reason i went for the 12000lb is that when im fully loaded with all my camp gear and maybe a camp trailer i don't want to have any dramas. if you are on a hill and stuck up against a ledge or really stuck in some hell rut line you will be pulling allot more weight then if it were on the flat ground.
i look at it like this, if you can tow a 25ft ski boat with a Toyota Camry doesn't mean that i would trust it to do it for long, as you will end up flogging the arse off it.

I chose Rope over cable for more then a few reasons,
the rope is heaps lighter,
its easier to pull out especially when your on a hill and your clambering around looking for an anchor point,
it doesnt retain any memory,
if it snaps it is allot less likely to hurt or damage someone or something,
if it does snap you can just tie a knot it it to get you out of trouble,
you wont get steel spikes digging into you when it does fray,
its actually stronger compared to the same diameter steel cable,
Less to no maintenance,
wont get rusty,
Ect ect ect

Last edited:
I just run the 9000 warn that you can get as an option when you originally buy the nav, and it pulls hard, have never had a problem with it and have winched some hektik hills. Im just going to upgrade to synthetic rope as it is a bit more suitable for multiple use and lasts longer with not running risk of getting kinks and fraied steel.

HAlso why do some of you have a 12000lb winch when you only need a 9000lb to get a navara out?

I've recently fitted a Tigerz11 12,000 lb winch to the ARB bar on my Nav. I went with cable rather than rope simply because cable is cheaper and I don't expect to be using it much (hopefully not at all).

As for 12,000lb rather than 9,000lb I'm looking to buy a camper trailer and that will add another tonne or so and another axle for the winch to have to drag out if I do get stuck (which would be more likely with a camper on the back) so I figured the extra capacity would help to offset the extra weight of the camper.

I got Ironman 12000pd for price of 9000 wtih my ironman bar.
no longer have ironman bar as I used it to Rightoff a Lancer.
now have ARB But still have winch works fine.

Latest posts

Back