Advice please!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deano.langford

Lamingtonbro
Reaction score
Hey everyone! New comer here so go easy! First time posting and not the best mechanically minded! We all have different interests right?!

Had my 130k service done about a month ago.. included an alternator change out as well as I had a few fan belts eventually go after some chirping on and off for about a month.

Service done well! Alternator changed out.. worked great! Drove like a dream! Took it for about a 300km drive, check engine light came on (orange), so ferried it home. Called mobile mechanic out who did the service and change out. Did a load test on the battery (advised to change in the test), then ran diagnostics and found a glow plug fault had occurred in the past. Cleared the fault, retested and no active faults were present. Off we go.. happy days right?

Got the battery changed over for a new one. All good. After driving like a dream for a few days the handbrake light and battery light started illuminating on the dash

Intermittently for about 10-20 seconds then going off together. No trouble starting, no weird sounds, nothing out of the blue. Called mobile mechanic, more diagnostics and battery load testing. Found that the battery on the positive terminal side was only finger tight. (Surging power through the car or at least not a constant connection) Tightened up. No active faults in the diagnostic tools, happy days.

Rinse and repeat with the handbrake and battery light on the dash intermittently appearing at complete random times. Sometimes cold starts, sometimes after driving for a number of kms, sometimes when slowing down for traffic lights and even idling in the drive way. Load testing continued with no issues

We’ve now gone a few weeks with this occurring in the car although now I was having trouble starting the car as well. No problem with the car trying to turn over.. typically it was like the engine wouldn’t fire

On the weekend jsut gone I was sitting idling in my driveway and the car essentially stalled and cut out. I noticed the RPM dropping quickly as well as hearing it, then the engine turned off. Gave it a few mins to try and restart it.. dead. Turning over but not firing. Check the battery level with a load test, battery operational and fine

Same mechanic came out on Monday just gone.. yeah she was dead. Eventually after jump starting it and spraying something (assuming something combustible into the air filter (I think)) it fired and started. Drove into the drive way after parking in the street for 2 days. Had the alternator changed out, all the testing again, working fine.

Took the car to work the next morning, started fine. Drove it in the afternoon.. started on the third try with my foot on the accelerator. Had the car running at home yesterday afternoon (JUST started) and after about 2mins or idling the revs started to drop again. It didn’t cut out completely but there was a distinct drop in revs.. managed tk catch it on video!

Has anyone had this before?! The battery and handbrake light are not coming on anymore, I haven’t had the chance to drive it more than 20mins after having the alternator changed out on warranty

What could this be?! Could this be fuel filter related? Fuel pump maybe?

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Ps. I am taking the car to a Nissan dealer in the coming days for diagnostics

Attachments

• IMG_2929.MOV
    19.5 MB
G'day and welcome to the forum.

You might have a couple of problems occurring. Battery + handbrake light combined is sometimes a result of a faulty/failed/dirty horn fuse (I'm not kidding). It's in one of the distribution boxes in the engine bay (not going to go out and check it now, I'm actually camped waiting to go to sleep and be bussed in to the Newcastle 500 tomorrow where I'm working). It's labelled properly, pull the fuse and take a look at it, test it if you like, then pop it back in and see if it goes away.

Reluctant starting is very often caused by a small fuel leak (particularly if the car starts fine when warm but doesn't like starting in the morning). Well, since the fuel system is a low pressure system up to the pump, it's more correct to say that the fuel system has an air leak. This is caused by loose or overtightened hoses or (happened twice to me) a water sensor not properly in place. This has to be pushed in and rotated so the knurled knob lines up with the electrical connection.

The way to find one of these leaks is to prime the fuel system, and when the primer gets really firm just keep going. By increasing the pressure in the system you'll cause diesel to come out of the leak - all you need to do is look for the source and fix it.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Tony!

Great feedback and make sense. I actually thought there may be some water in the fuel filter potentially too, deff not experienced enough to attempt to drain that out if it’s the case.

Second option was pressure in a line somewhere through a tiny hole or line prick causing something to drop in pressure and not fire. Kindve what you’ve said there I guess to some point.

Frustrating and time consuming! Can’t get the video to load of the drop in revs while idling, it is district though which to me feels like fuel not getting through something

Latest posts

Back