Safety Recall - Towbar

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got mine back, Dealer said there were one inch hairline cracks in the chassis. He said they weren't open cracks and were welded up. They ensured that it was definetly safe and done proply, but if not its only going to cost them more! But the new towbar looks good, definerly a lot better and supports the chassis well.

got mine back today

so the verdict is that ive got small cracks in the chassis and that nissan wont cover as its a non genuine towbar..

so it will be a cost of 300 to repair and if i dont want it to happen again i will need a new towbar

in other news, the Hood latch recall has been approved and i will be getting a new bonnet which is good as there is some chips etc

god it sucks being a uni student... i want a dual wheel carrier but alas no funds

Mine's booked in for Thursday. My Hayman-Reese came when I bought my Nav (now well out of warranty), so my fear is that I get the call the "Sorry, you got cracks, that'll be $300 to fix... And oh, by the way, that'll be another $1000 for a new Nissan replacement bar".

Has anyone heard about the after-marketers coming up with the their own replacement? I don't want to waste my money at Ni$$an if I have an alternative.

If you got a HR from Nissan then it will be recalled by Nissan. Aftermarket installs are handled differently but anything that Nissan provided whether it be as part of the delivery of post delivery no matter what the nameplate is should be covered under the recall. No point worrying about it until Thursday because there is a good chance you wont have to worry at all.

Thanks Krafty, I don't know where the HR came from, but just read this on another 4x4 blog:

"if it has mounting bolts that go into the chassis from underneath only (3 bolts on each side going up into the towbar). If your towbar has bolts going into the side (inside of chassis rail) you will be safe. Its only the 6 bolt towbars that are the problem, 12 bolts and all is good"

My HR has the 3 under plus 3 on the side, so looking a bit more promising. I guess I'll find out on Thursday...

Minchy, you've got the same bar as me then. HR made both the "Nissan" bars and their own bar that Nissan dealers could choose to fit. The Nissan-branded bar was chosen by some dealers because it was cheaper and probably gave them more profit (I can't see any other reason for the choice).

In my opinion Nissan (the parent company) should kick the asses of the dealers that were stupid - and greedy - enough to do it because now it's costing Nissan money it should never have needed to spend.

Call the closet one and see what they say, if that doesn't work call another. There are some limitations on 2nd owners (like only finding out about the recall from public announcements because Nissan don't know who owns the car) but it's a safety recall they have to look at it.

There are some scenarios that I could list that might not be favourable but that helps no one at this stage. Make a phone call first then only worry about the other scenarios if you have to.

I took mine in yesterday, and I was confident there would be no problems as I've done relatively little towing and nothing particularly heavy. WRONG. Chassis had cracks which were fixed and tow bar replaced straight away - including a new hitch and ball as well. It was an inconvenience to get the car in to the service centre, but worth it in the end.

Got mine back today.. All clear for cracks etc, as it apparently had the new Nissan one on it..

But i can't get over how useless Cardiff Nissan are! I'm never taking mine back there again! Just got raped on a the 60,000 service..
:jackoff:

i got back from a 9000km trip with the van to a recall, they where suprised that it wasnt totally stuff for the towing i have done. new bar coming up,

I just had mine replaced on my 07 RX. Also had cracks in the chassis which were sent to a local panel beater for welding.
I was surprised as I don't do much towing and never anything heavy.
Barossa Nissan in SA were really good to deal with and turned it around in the same day, along with a free loan car. They replaced the tongue also and had at least five ready for other customers and a pile of seven or so old ones on the floor.

Call the closet one and see what they say, if that doesn't work call another. There are some limitations on 2nd owners (like only finding out about the recall from public announcements because Nissan don't know who owns the car) but it's a safety recall they have to look at it.

There are some scenarios that I could list that might not be favourable but that helps no one at this stage. Make a phone call first then only worry about the other scenarios if you have to.

My Navara is currently in at the dealership with another problem(!) The service Manager called to let me know what they had done to fault find, and what else happened when they fixed one problem. He then went on to say that was I aware there was a recall on the Navara for the towbar. I replied I did and they I had not had time, and the dealer had been busy to book it in..

So he added it and said it would be taken care of while it was in the shop..

*Fingers Crossed*

Apparently i own 3 D40s because i was sent 3 letters all for different names and VIN numbers... Will take mine in next week after getting a company car. I will also ask them about the bubble rust that has formed across the front of my windscreen in about 5 or 6 different places.

In other news my D40 will be for sale in the coming weeks...

Received recall for towbar today booked in at dealership for inspection Told have to leave vehicle for whole day.Drop off at 08:00am pickup at 5:00pm
unless notified

Took mine in for some other stuff to be done and the dealers, and they flagged it had been recalled and would look at it when they where doing to other stuff..

Nothing needed doing.. 12 bolt towbar factory installed.. So that was easy..

I wish this other problem was though.. Starting to pee me off!

Credit due to Kloster Nissan ... went in for towbar inspection and found all gd.

Pleasantly I also walked out with 2 new wheels as the previous owner hadn't had it back for the recall.

Semi-win!

Latest posts

Back