2005 D22 2.5D won't start. Immobiliser issue I think

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamond Dave

Reaction score
Hi All,
I really hope you can help.
My wife has had a D22 for the last 8 years and it has been a great workhorse for her honey farm.
Last test it failed for chassis rust so we now have a D40 to replace it.

Was moving on the D22 so drove it to the back of the yard so the guy with the trailer could reverse up to it for easy loading.
Once he was in place I hopped into the D22 to drive it up onto the trailer and it wouldn't start.
It drove there a couple of hours previously but now can't get it to start - apart from taking all the bits out of the glove box and door pockets nothing else was done.

We messed about for ages. It is getting diesel. It is turning over.

In the end I have realised that the immobiliser light on the top of the dash does not go out, nor does the glow plug light or the amber engine light.
The red immobilser light is off for a second or so and then flashes 7 times - is this a code that means something?
I took off the surround of the steering column and checked the connections on the key code coil pickup.
When this is moved away from the key, the red immobiliser light flashes 7 times immediately, whereas when it is reading the key there is a 1 - 2 second pause before it flashes 7 times.
I'm taking from this that it is reading the code on the key but there is something stopping it from using this to allow the engine to start.

Would anybody know where the NATS system controller is in a 2005 D22. This was just before the D40 replaced it.

The engine in this navara is an older non-common rail, so there is no ECU to control injectors. So how would the immobiliser work to stop the engine starting?
I presume there is some solenoid in the HP pump. Would it be too much to ask that if I powered this from the battery that it would start?

Anyway, If someone on the forum has any suggestions of how to solve this or bypass the immobiliser, I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Yesterday, had the battery on charge overnight. Put it in, no difference.
Went out today to continue to check fuses and relays after downloading and printing the diagram and list of fuses / relays.

1st thing was - Relay 1 main ignition circuits & pulled this.
Decided to check the ignition to see if nothing would come on - and the bloody glow plug light went out.
Panic! Put back in the relay and tried again, glow plug light went out again, cranked it to start and it started!!
Bit rough and sputtery as we had been testing for diesel to the pump so there was air in the line and it cut out.
Cranked a bit more and it started again, left it run for a minute, and decided to turn it off to take a video to send to the buyer.
This time back to the old non starting.

Did the ignition on - off - on repeat panic move and it just started behaving again.

Now it starts on the button.

Gremlins, Goblins, Pixies, Faries or my deceased father returning to play for a laugh - take your pick.
I certainly have no idea what happened or why it is running now, and I'm not questioning it!

Latest posts

Back