Is Unhooking One Battery Safe? - SOLVED

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch92

Reaction score
G'day

I have a '10 model D22, with the factory dual batteries. I'm just curious whether it is safe to disconnect the earth for the passenger side one for approx. 24hrs?

The passenger side positive goes straight to alternator, and earth to the body nearby the battery. Unsure on the other one. I need to re-crimp the cable for a different lug. For ease I want to disconnect it in the morning, take it in, crimp new lug, then re-install when I get home.

Is it safe to leave the positive on the battery and just remove the earth? The car will NOT be started or moved once removed, until re-installed.

If not, what about removing both earths?? Then no circuit so no juice, no risk. But one is easier/lazier.

You should be right.
I removed the passenger battery completely to start another car not long ago, battery was out for a good half a day, hooked it back up and the radio still kept it's pre-sets.

Not so much worried about totally out, more just leaving positive on but earth off on one battery, and other completely connected

Not so much worried about totally out, more just leaving positive on but earth off on one battery, and other completely connected

May be safe just to disconnect both and leave it off. Wrap the positive in some electrical tape just in case. It'll take an extra 30seconds to do. I'm sure you could leave it on as it is earthen on the drivers side to the firewall

Yea, was actually thinking of disconnecting both earths. Would reset ECU as well obviously.

Without a connecting circuit there's pretty much no drama. You should be more concerned leaving the battery connected than not because there's a circuit when it's all together!

Yep....disconnect ground strap....no worries what so ever....leave it off for a year if you like...no probs.

Hmm thinking about this it was a silly question on my part really, and I should have known better.

Back