exhaust for YD25

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex351

Reaction score
Hey guys
Looking at getting a new exhaust for my YD25.
Was wondering if anyone knew the most efficient/economical diameter pipe to get?
Also as most of you would know, the spare tire rides pretty close to the stock exhaust, has anyone got there new pipe to bend away from it so as to stow a larger tire under there?
Plus iv been looking around and some places offer "mild steel" or "stainless steel" whats the difference? is one that much better than the other? I know the price is alot different...

And would anyone know a good exhaust shop for 4wds somewhere in sydney they've delt with?

Cheers,
Alex

Just got a Taipan 3" Mild steel fitted Saturday. Got a D22 (08) YD25 aswell. No issues with the rear tire. Ive got a Cooper Discovery ST underneath.
I also had a DPChip put in, so i dont know if its efficient to get a 3" if your not planning on getting it chipped. I think some people might agree 2 1/2 inch might be best suited.

Cant help you find a good shop as i live over in WA.

Just got a Taipan 3" Mild steel fitted Saturday. Got a D22 (08) YD25 aswell. No issues with the rear tire. Ive got a Cooper Discovery ST underneath.
I also had a DPChip put in, so i dont know if its efficient to get a 3" if your not planning on getting it chipped. I think some people might agree 2 1/2 inch might be best suited.

Cant help you find a good shop as i live over in WA.

how does the 3" sound?

Its got a lot more bass to it and not too loud either so it wont driver other people nuts if your coming home late at night.
Havn't had time yet to put it though its proper paces yet but going 4x4 on the 1st week in September. So i'll let you know if the low-range torque is better.

Hey mate, mine is an 09 but still same motor. I have a 2.5" pressed mild steel system in mine with standard dump pipe. It was on the car when purchased and I am looking at changing but doing it custom 2.5" with mandrel bends. I have a 3" stainless steel dump going on soon which will clear that area up. then ill get onto my custom system with the 2.5" aluminized mild steel with 4" high flow metal cat and sports muffler. also allowing to fit a bigger tire under car aswell like you mentioned before.

2.5" is a good size and I wouldn't go any larger then 3". I am also getting a chip put in down the track.

Rustynav where was your navara built japan or thailand? Coz on th thailand model a 3inch dump wont fit. Because the turbo sits further back and it hits th firewall. I had this trouble with mine. And it is also a different stud pattern aswel on the bacl of the turbo. Instead of been 5 bolt is a 4 bolt pattern. Just info tht u should know so you can check

Alex351 where was yours built? Because ypu might hve this problem. They startd making these in thailand around mid 09 to current d22

Mine is 09 built so its the Thai built model. Reg53 has a stainless steel 3" dump on his and its a 2010 model and I think it fitted fine. So if it doesn't fit should I get them to reduce the dump size? Say go a 2.75" dump?

yeah just go a smaller dump then flage it out to a 3" if that is the size u want. but just get a a rule and measure from the back of the turbo to the firewall. mine was around 69 to 70mm so not big enough for a 3 inch. there are apprently 5 different turbos across the d22 range if not more. and also check if yours is the 4 bolt pattern.

Hey mate,
Ifyou are planning to take it offroad, get mild steel. I was told stainless can crack if it's very hot and you dunk it crossing water. There is much debate over 2-1/2 or 3 inch. Ive got a 3 inch (exhaust) and it's going great. If you're doing it, get it chipped too... huge difference when both done.
Enjoy.

hmm ill measure this tomoz.. i have pmed reg53 who has the 3" dump pipe into 2.5" system about his dump pipe and the firewall. ill aslo ring the exhaust company i was talking to about getting it in mild steel and 2.75" dump into the 4"cat then into the 2.5" exhaust system.

chip will be coming but further down the track. just bout to spend $$$ gettin canopy fitted this friday.

Stainless steel wont crack offroad it all a load of shit. Im a metallurgist and deal with a lot of stainless steels in weldin inspections and failure analysis. Te cracking the are talkin about is stress corrosion cracking and that only happens in a high chloride enviroment.

Stainless steel wont crack offroad it all a load of shit. Im a metallurgist and deal with a lot of stainless steels in weldin inspections and failure analysis. Te cracking the are talkin about is stress corrosion cracking and that only happens in a high chloride enviroment.

Don't know... I am not a metallurgist. Just passing on what I was told by Castle Hill Exhaust who are fairly well known in Sydney for their good work. As far as I am concerned, they are the experts when it comes to exhausts and different properties of metals used to make them. Lots of workshops deal with them and recommend them so I thought it may be a useful piece of information for someone about to spend good $ on one.

Rustynav where was your navara built japan or thailand? Coz on th thailand model a 3inch dump wont fit. Because the turbo sits further back and it hits th firewall. I had this trouble with mine. And it is also a different stud pattern aswel on the bacl of the turbo. Instead of been 5 bolt is a 4 bolt pattern. Just info tht u should know so you can check

Alex351 where was yours built? Because ypu might hve this problem. They startd making these in thailand around mid 09 to current d22

yeah mine was built in like December 08, probably one of the last ones ay haha

so what would you say would be best suited for offroad use? stainless steel is alot more expensive than mild steel..?

Stainless steel is apparently smoother flowing mild steel is cheaper and I don't see why it won't be good flow rate. Whichever you want to get is good. Off-road doesn't matter there is lots of off-road vehicles with stainless exhaust systems and have had no dramas. I can get a 3" stainless dump with no cat for $180 installed. I will get a 100cell 4" cat put in after the dump and before my muffler. Not sure on cat price yet.

If you go mild steel get it aluminized and make sure you spray the weld with cold gal then some heat proof paint. Maybe just the heat proof paint will do the job.

Goodluck

Ok so let's scrap all the previous posts that are in this thread and start again. This topic is discussed quite regularly and it's all about hearing others information etc.

My 2.5" system which contains mostly press bends except for the dump which is mandrel bent, has to go. I have been looking at a few companies and getting prices. So far I have looked at Beau system that's also containing a muffler delete section in 2.75". 3" from a few eBay companies containing just a muffler and catchall priced over the $1000 mark. I just dropped down to my local Muffler joint and he quoted me $650 for 3" turbo back with no muffler or cat.

Here comes my conflicting information. Apparentlying I have heard that a 3" dump won't fit behind my turbo it will foul the firewall. Mine is Thai built D22.

Who has what system and how do you like it. I have heard real impressive figures from the beau system and I'm certainly leaning that way. My mechanic thinks 3" dump is tl big and recommended the beau system for its size, he also asked if I was considering a turbo upgrade. If I was upgrading the turbo I probably would go a 3" system.

Let me know

Rusty

I have the 2.75" (feels weird mixing decimal and imperial) Beaudesert system and can't fault it.

I did some posts on it in my Ride Thread, link in my sig.

I have a 3inch inch dump and high flow cat and complete 3inch to the rear no clearance issues around the spare tyre.I would go mild steel cheaper and have also sighted well made stainless steel systems cracking. They say the 3inch system is good at keeping egt down when other mods are made. Scotts Rods $1095 for complete system with bung for pyro in the dump pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjvzFrCyfMM

Here's my exhaust mate, 3", new dump pipe, high flow cat and no mufflers, it's mandrel bent and finishes just before it gets to the spare..... I love the sound and have had shitloads of good comments from random people in the street. The extra power is great (also have a steinbeauer chip).... Wouldn't do it any other way if I had to do it again

Latest posts

Back