engine oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevor1985

Reaction score
hi guys got new st navara its just had its fist service didnt go through nissan because to dear and and oil and parts are crap. anyway my mechanic used 5w30 fully synthetic nulon because it calls for that weight im wondering can u use say a 10 w 40 slight bit thicker to take rattles out and quite it down bit.??

Thats a great oil they put in......if the truck hasnt got a DPF you could go to 5W-40
otherwise about the noise...its a diesel engine isnt it?

you could however try a search for the '2 stroke oil in the fuel' thread...they reckon it quietens down diesel engine to petrol engine quietness

:cheers!:

Could try searching full stop!!

Although Krankin is right whack some two stroke in and you'll be amazed at the difference...flabbergasted even.

hi guys got new st navara its just had its fist service didnt go through nissan because to dear and and oil and parts are crap. anyway my mechanic used 5w30 fully synthetic nulon because it calls for that weight im wondering can u use say a 10 w 40 slight bit thicker to take rattles out and quite it down bit.??

G,day Trevor,

Under the General Discussion heading, scroll down to the Main forum title; click into there and look for the Sticky titled: What oils are you using? By Dave. You will find a heap of info in that thread.

Over the years, I have used AMSOIL Full Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil in conjunction with a Franz oil bypass system.

I have used this system for 12 years with my old GQ, GU 4.2 Turbo diesels, D22 Navara and currently with my D40 2.5 manual diesel Navara. The oil is lot more expensive, however oil change intervals is at 20,000 ks. During the 20,000ks interval, I use a test kit to check my oil every 5,000ks, whilst replacing the oil bypass filter. I change main oil filter at 10,000 ks. When changing oil filters i just top up the oil that' required usually half a litre. Even at 20,000ks my oil test results still advise that the oil is Ok.

The reason why I use Amsoil is due to towing a camper trailer and boat up and down beaches and some of the serious tracks my mates and I use on the weekends at Coffs Harbour.

Mate, both the Navara’s 3 and 2.5 litre engines produce excessive heat under load, it is imperative to use engine oil than can help dissipates the heat and maintain engine performance.

Regards,

RLI,

Why take it to Nissan, anyway? Dealerships normally use whatever oil they get the best price with. You have to ask them to specifically use genuine oil otherwise they'll avoid it (save money).

Maybe go a 10w-30. You're dealing with a new car, remember, anything too thick is just a waste and not appropriate, and a thinner oil ensures your engine is lubricated properly (it's still young). Besides, the thicker the oil, the longer the warm up time.

Thats a great oil they put in......if the truck hasnt got a DPF you could go to 5W-40
otherwise about the noise...its a diesel engine isnt it?

you could however try a search for the '2 stroke oil in the fuel' thread...they reckon it quietens down diesel engine to petrol engine quietness

You're right, it's a diesel engine. They're always noisy.

2 stroke in a common rail? I'd avoid it, it's not healthy for common rail systems. Run something really thin, like a hydrolic oil, and only a little bit, IMO.

. Run something really thin, like a hydrolic oil, and only a little bit, IMO.

Hydraulic oil comes in many grades...which do you recommend????maybe another thread/poll is in order.

Well why not just run straight diesel, its made for it.........

Hydraulic oil comes in many grades...which do you recommend????maybe another thread/poll is in order.

Well why not just run straight diesel, its made for it.........
Please elaborate..
A thinner oil won't hurt a common rail too much. Running 2 strokes in common rail engines can start to clog things up where you don't want it. And it effects the ignition of a common rail engine. To run it with 2 stroke, I'd probably get a tune first as well. Maybe delay the intake by a notch or something (I'm not an expert on this, though). But when you strip down a motor, or well at least the intake, you can see that the common rail can get a few bits and chunks built up. Maybe they were using a crappy 2 stroke oil and that caused build ups?

But it's because common rails use a high pressure system that requires fuel to be thin as possible, not thick.

But anyway, anything that is causing a build up in the engine does not make me happy. 2 stroke in older engines (ie, my td27), is good, because it is attempting to mix the fuel to form a replicate of original sulfate'd fuel, which is what the engine is designed for. Newer engines that run off a common rail system have been designed to run with our standard of fuel, and so the lubrication in the engine is up to scratch for it to last.

There are going to be noise and a few performance benefits to running an additive, that's why I suggested a thinner hydrolic oil. Maybe do a bit of googling first, I'm not too familiar with what hydrolics are good and bad, and what other people have run.

Last edited:
I would think going from summer to winter blend of fuel would have a greater effect on the viscosity of diesel than mixing in 300ml. of two stroke to 80L of diesel.
Adding two stroke oil to diesel is about increasing the the lubrication properties of diesel not trying to quieten down the injection noise by increasing viscosity.
If I was ever to mix an oil in with the fuel (which is highly unlikely) I would rather put in two stroke over hydrulic oil. Two stroke is made to lubricate and combust. Hydrulic oil is made for diplacement and lubrication. Who knows what byproducts you would be leaving behind burning that in a diesel engine.

+1 on avoiding hydraulic oil. The whole idea behind 2-stroke oil is that 2-stroke oil is combustible. Particularly in vehicles fitted with DPFs, hydraulic oil would kill the vehicle in no time (I'd say 100-300km, or however long it takes the ECU to attempt - and fail - to conduct a DPF regeneration cycle).

Adding 2-stroke to diesel is all about changing the chemical composition of the fuel. Remember that diesel is an oil anyway - and also remember that anything you shove down the fuel pipe or into the crankcase (because of blow-by) needs to be 100% combustible.

I know each combustion cycle of a cylinder only receives a very small (few mm at most) of fuel, but I can't help but be fearful of a non-combusting incompressible hydraulic oil that builds up in the cylinder that eventually becomes substantial enough to cause a hydraulic lock on the cylinder - either blowing through the top of the piston, breaking a conrod or other such disastrous effect.

While I'm happy to experiment (generally), I'll only do so where there's not a great deal of risk involved and the general concept has at least some scientific merit.

Adding hydraulic oil to my fuel tank will just end up giving me TWO brake pedals.

Where do you get that idea? Diesel engines can run on almost anything (Although I haven't tested much with common rail engines). But hydraulic oil, transmission oil, engine oil, vegetable oil and I know there's more can all be thrown in a tank with results.

But anyway, since it's a new car, just use diesel.

Hydraulic oil and 2 stroke in diesel engine

I would think going from summer to winter blend of fuel would have a greater effect on the viscosity of diesel than mixing in 300ml. of two stroke to 80L of diesel.
Adding two stroke oil to diesel is about increasing the the lubrication properties of diesel not trying to quieten down the injection noise by increasing viscosity.
If I was ever to mix an oil in with the fuel (which is highly unlikely) I would rather put in two stroke over hydrulic oil. Two stroke is made to lubricate and combust. Hydrulic oil is made for diplacement and lubrication. Who knows what byproducts you would be leaving behind burning that in a diesel engine.

Has anyone got any oil analysis results of engine oil 'beefed up' with 2 stroke and/ or hydraulic oil? If so please share I would be intrigued to hear what byproducts are introduced and if wear is increased!

Has anyone got any oil analysis results of engine oil 'beefed up' with 2 stroke and/ or hydraulic oil? If so please share I would be intrigued to hear what byproducts are introduced and if wear is increased!

No no no mate no one is talking about adding anything to there engine oil

Latest posts

Back