Engine dramas

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porter879

Reaction score
Hey guys im fighting a losing battle with my d40 2011 yd25
I was on my way home from work one night when I blew the heater hose to my ac and lost all the water circulating through the radiator and I didn’t notice until the car lost power due to overheating.
Following day I replaced the hose but the thermostat was toast and thus replaced that. a few days later it wanted to overheat again but this time I went to my mechanic which he pressure tested and checked for diesel or oil leakage through the linings indicating a cracked head gasket or blown.
He would strip it and charge us 700$ to check wether the linings were buggered or use the 700 and some more to buy a 2nd hand engine so we decided to just get a 2nd hand engine we brought from a wreckers. we installed that and then replaced all the hoses and radiator with brand new ones aswell as a overflow tank.

That engine needed replacing aswell because the people we brought it from thought it didn’t need inspecting after 6-8months of gathering dust due to a cracked headgasket which we got our money back from the engine but lost out due to labour in excess of 1400$ due to what they call the Capricorn standard repair times. (12-16h for mechanic to complete) but Capricorn standard times for engine replace are only around 6-8h).

After buying a new second hand engine (2nd one) the egr on it needed replacing straight away we replaced that and then a few weeks later that egr unit needed replacing which cost us 4h @ 135 ph and When seeking reimbursement from that wreckers this new mob also runs off the Capricorn standard and apparently should only take 1.2h to complete with a standard hourly rate of 77$ ph which were paid not even half of what we had to fork out for replacing a part we brought from them not 2 weeks later.
after all that I’m still losing water and blowing out white smoke, and losing power.
My dilemma is that I now seek 2nd opinions in hopes that there is a mechanic out there that can actually help me.
The money is not the issue I understand shit cost money but the hassle of recurring existing problems is the biggest headache
I’m at a point where I either give the car up or fight on and try to find help elsewhere.

Moral of the story is never seek out your own spare parts pay that bit extra for your mechanic to get them for you so the liability falls on them and you won’t have a problem if the mechanic needs to “re work”

It's never a good thing to hear of so many dramas with cars. It's not a Navara-specific thing - I think it's a vehicle thing, because it happens with motorcycles and cars and both petrol and diesels.

Although in fairness I've never heard of anyone complaining about a cracked head in their Tesla (I'm gonna wait ...)

So let's get the current symptoms straight:

- Blowing WHITE smoke
- Reduced power
- Losing water

Okay, questions:

1) Are you using a different turbocharger or the same one moved from engine to engine?

2) Is your car an automatic and do you know (if it has a DPF) if the DPF is functional? If memory serves, the 2011 Y25 autos had DPFs fitted. These can cause the symptoms experienced. You'd suspect a bad DPF if the white smoke happened only when the engine was at normal operating temp (so when you cold start the car in the morning, is there any smoke or just after it's warmed up?).

3) Have you installed any tools to monitor things like fuel flow rates, boost pressure etc? I use an ELM327-compliant Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and an Android app called "Torque", which allows me to monitor a whole host of things about the engine.

4) Is there any sign of coolant escaping from the reservoir on the engine bay's right hand side just forward of the wiper water filler (yellow cap)?

Let's start with that.

Latest posts

Back