D40 AUTO fuel economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well looks like I'm drinking beer by myself in the pub next time I'm down your way :eviltongue:

nah, not at all. I'm not fussy WHO i drink with. Even old farts like you. !!!

Hey ... i'm just quoting you ... i was never gonna say it first .... LOL

You and I are going to have a dust up when I see you next, better bring your boxing gloves unless you want a bit of UFC in the office.

Fuel economy 10.4 <------- on topic :sarcastic:

Nope mines pretty much standard except for a canopy and all the crap I cart in it.

Wow, 10.4 is a pretty good figure Krafty, do you have a DPF? I bought my car stock standard and the best I've ever had is about 12.2.

Yeah all autos have had the DPF for a few years now, never had an issue with mine and hope I never will but I've also never had issues with them on the CAT I've driven. There is obviously horror stories like any part but I don't know anyone who has had problems with DPF's

I've had my ST auto for 3 months and have so far racked up 12500km. Whilst the usage has come down I still can't get any better than about 13.9l/100kms. Whilst I accept the fact my 2 inch lift, bigger tyres, plus bullbar and slim roof racks (small rola style) won't help consumption, I still think my car is using too much fuel.

You're right, and the first and most important reason is that it's too young.

Petrol engines might loosen up after 500-1000km, but diesels can take up to 15,000km before they settle (mine took about 13,000). Diesels also last for 500,000 or more km, compared to a petrol that might make 200,000.

I think Nissan put a fuel map in from factory that's fairly rich, so that the engine doesn't run too hot in its infancy. There's an easy cure for that - the ECU reset.

Easiest way is this: empty the tub & cabin, write down the trip meter. Pop the negative battery lead off, press the brake pedal, put the negative lead back on, then take the car for a gentle drive - no more than 2500rpm tops, try to keep the peak revs at about 2,000 - get it into top @ 80km/h and let the torque converter lock. Do this for about 10 mins then pull over, turn it all off, job done.

You can't hurt the vehicle like this. It's designed to reinitialise itself with a basic default set of values for injector timing and duration (as well as fuel rail pressures etc). Get it back to defaults then let it learn a really gentle fuel curve and it should be a bit lighter on the juice.

Just anecdotally, very 500rpm you use increases your fuel consumption by 2.5LPHK.

Sorry to go on but there is a search button which will find the information your require

Simon, there is a thread with a lot of info about the EGR mod in the D40 section, but I'll simplify it here:

Running around the front of the motor from down behind the alternator on the left side is a gold-coloured pipe. This pipe has a thicker section at the front of the motor with two rubber hoses attached to the top, and it then turns around and connects to a widget on the driver's side of the engine.

That widget is the EGR valve, and the gold pipe connects to it with two bolts and a gasket to keep the thing sealed. You can't just unplug the EGR valve, you need to block the EGR tube somehow.

The most efficient (easiest) way is to remove the gasket and trace it out on a piece of 0.8 to 1mm stainless steel plate. Don't bother with the large central hole, just make the two bolt holes, don't bend the plate at all while making it. Use Permatex Ultra Blue Sensor Safe gasket cement ($17 at Supercheap Auto) and install your newly made blanking plate.

If you've made it well, it should be indistinguishable and never noticed by Nissan service techs. My car's been serviced 3 times since I blocked mine. They simply don't check the vehicle's emission control systems that closely as part of a service.

We had the sales manager from a local Nissan dealership address this month's meeting of the 4WD club I belong to. He came along to tell us about the new 550 and Patrol. Not sure why as the 550 is completely sold out until late this year and Nissan Australia can't confirm when the new Patrol will be sold here. However, Patrol likely to be $120k plus on roads and only in a petrol 5.7 V8.

Anyway, to my point when discussing the 550 he referred to diesel particular filters and stated that they had got the technology wrong. He went on to say that "injecting diesel into to get less [emissions] out did not make sense and the process certainly certainly used more fuel". I wish I had been able to record him!

Im sick of this can we change the ECU (auto to the manual) or can we put a new one in it.

I had drag cars years ago an i run MOTEC,EMS,MIRCOTEC will a new one help

Because when you go on a trip with a mate who has a manual an he fill up once a day an you fill up 2 times you get PISS OFF!!!!!!!!!

I doubt the manual's ECU will work in an auto. The TCM (Transmission Control Module) sits in the sump of the auto gearbox and feeds data to (and receives data from) the ECU. Without information from the ECU, the TCM may refuse to function at all - so while you might be able to kick the engine over, you won't get the wheels turning.

Don't let your mate pull a sneaky one on you too, he might be just trying to get a rise out of you by having a long range tank without telling you!

old tony i hope same one will fix it one day he will be a rich man when he does

ps i have got a 400 bow tie and power glide in the shead do you think it will fit lol

Latest posts

Back