D40 AUTO fuel economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete, you do have a fair bit of weight in yours, but better economy is possible.

How many RPM do you rev it to, when moving off? I try to keep mine between 2000 and 2500, because every 500rpm represents up to 2.5LPHK extra consumption ... I've had mine down to 10.46LPHK and that's with a full tub. I've had it down to 15.5 towing the van (and that was on fuel bought at Kings Creek Station in NT).

Pete, you do have a fair bit of weight in yours, but better economy is possible.

How many RPM do you rev it to, when moving off? I try to keep mine between 2000 and 2500, because every 500rpm represents up to 2.5LPHK extra consumption ... I've had mine down to 10.46LPHK and that's with a full tub. I've had it down to 15.5 towing the van (and that was on fuel bought at Kings Creek Station in NT).

Yeah Tony I've been experimenting with rpm/throttle settings in similar regions to what you are doing. I did get a 10ltr/100km way back when I had nothing much fitted but the best I get on a trip these days is around 13.3...... I haven't, as yet, blocked the EGR and am a little hesitant to do so until the warranty runs out. Certainly will do this and toss the DPF once the warranty has expired.

My car's been serviced twice since the EGR mod and nobody said anything to me. Stainless steel blanking plate is still in place too, so they haven't quietly repaired it for me.

I failed to mention that I also ensured that my cruising speed dropped to about 95km/h, which also reduced the fuel consumption.

i try to sit my foot in the one spot when driving. i all way do the speed even when towing and try to keep it at about 2000 when i can intill the auto drops down to 1500 when doing 60 or 80 or intill the auto warms up.

I've been experimenting with rpm/throttle settings in similar regions to what you are doing.

I've been watching my SG a bit more these days while taking off and it's not hard to see how easily influenced "average" fuel figures are. Even taking off light footed and not revving over about 2000 on your way up to speed it's not hard to see the so called real time figures go beyond 30 LPH, take off up hill and 50+ is easily possible. Given that these 30+ figures (even for the 4 seconds between readings) will be used in working out your averages it's not hard to see why a vehicle traveling in stop start traffic can get higher readings.

Hi Fella's. I have a 2010 D40 STX (140KW) - bought new in Aug 2010. I've done 19000ks & it has averaged 8.6l/100. I reckon I do 50/50 city/country driving.

Hi Fella's. I have a 2010 D40 STX (140KW) - bought new in Aug 2010. I've done 19000ks & it has averaged 8.6l/100. I reckon I do 50/50 city/country driving.

Thats awesome I have a 2008 auto and get about 13/100 Nissan must have fixed their stuff up in the 140kw version. wish they could fix mine don't think i will be getting another navara in a hurry!

Things will always be better with newer advancements in technology but better fuel economy is still very much reliant on the driver. I can't match 8.6 regularly in my 09 but I can do it on some trips if I try to and while you're 13's might be close to an average figure from those quoted on here there is probably still ways you can drop that without requiring a Nissan fix if such a thing really existed.

Things will always be better with newer advancements in technology but better fuel economy is still very much reliant on the driver. I can't match 8.6 regularly in my 09 but I can do it on some trips if I try to and while you're 13's might be close to an average figure from those quoted on here there is probably still ways you can drop that without requiring a Nissan fix if such a thing really existed.

What sort of average fuel economy figures are you getting?

Do you have a manual or auto Krafty and what sort of figures are you getting?

A little disappointing when Nissan claim the auto should get around 10.5LPHK when the majority of us get upwards of 12.5, yet the manuals are fairly close to nissan's claim of 9.8LPHK. How can they be so far off and why don't they have a fix?

Most of the time my auto gets between 10.2 and 10.6 but I can influence it alot depending on the trips I do. I have managed to get some trips in the mid 8's but that was penny pinching just to see what I could do.

Given one of the first things people do is start modding their utes it's not suprising we don't get the same figures as Nissan claim, Nissan (like every manufacturer) base their figures on calculations done on a computer they aren't even worked out in any sort of road test. Any mod that adds weight, changes tyre size, raises the vehicle or even lowers the vehicle is going to have an effect on your economy figures, what that change is will never be an exact figure but there will be an effect.

You also have to take into account the speeds you drive at, 110 is always going to use more fuel than 100, as some of us have found the sweet spot in our utes is about 97 so for economy some of us drive at 97 and accept that it is going to take us a few minutes extra to get places (and a few minutes even over several hours is all it will be).

The reason Nissan don't have a magic fix is because there is no magic fix, how you drive is obviously different to how I drive, it doesn't make one of us right and one wrong because there are just too many factors that can change between two drivers. It also doesn't make Nissan's quoted figures wrong because all manufacturers have the same criteria when it comes to calculating fuel figures and the figures are a guide only not a magical figure every car will obtain.

I've had my ST auto for 3 months and have so far racked up 12500km. Whilst the usage has come down I still can't get any better than about 13.9l/100kms. Whilst I accept the fact my 2 inch lift, bigger tyres, plus bullbar and slim roof racks (small rola style) won't help consumption, I still think my car is using too much fuel.

I do a mix of city/country driving and it never seems to make much difference.

To give you some comparison a mate of mine drives a 2008 auto petrol hilux with similar mods and gets better consumption than me both in the city & country. All while having 176kw at his disposal.....

Reading through this thread I'm not surprised to get a few guys jumping in to harp on about driving techniques blah blah blah. What you're saying is all good and well, but it doesn't change the reality which is that these auto navaras ARE using too much fuel. Period.

I'll probably end up doing 50,000kms this year, assuming a usage of 11L/100km (where I think it should be) that's an extra $2250 of fuel I'm burning.... Adds up

It would be good to get some feedback from nissan as to why these things are performing as they are, but I assume they'll treat it like the 3.0 litre patrol engine that enjoyed going bang (yes I had one but flicked it before it had the opportunity)

I'm toying with the idea of going the 'chip it' route as she clocks over 20,000km, complete with DPF delete pipe etc. Would be good to get a couple of people's feedback as to consumption change.....

Read the chip threads and decide for yourself if you think it's the solution to your problems there are plenty of threads about. Realistically, if you are adamant your driving habits have nothing to do with high economy then I can't see any chip making the kind of difference you are hoping for. 13.9 down to the mid 10's I'm getting out of and STX auto which most days sits on the road at over 2.5 tonne is a hell of a lot to expect from a chip alone.

Yeah fair call Krafty, will research and see what's going to suit me best.

I just fail to understand how the manuals and autos are so different. For what it's worth my old man had a manual navara which I used on numerous occasions and fuel consumption was around the 9-10 mark.....big difference

Well there is a lot of differences between an auto and a manual, however don't assume that all manuals are 9-10lph, over revving between gear changes, driving at faster speeds in 4th instead of 5th (or 5th instead of 6th) all make higher readings, just like short shifting and skipping gears (especially on hills) can make lower readings. In so many ways the driver effects economy, but because no two cars are identical no two cars can expect the same economy.

Krafty's right .

I have a manual, and i'm getting 14 or 15 lph most times around town. but i've got a lot of weight on my car with a bull bar and winch, long rank tank, underbody protection, high canopy, roof top tent and an extensive drawer fitout in the tub with a lot of tools and stuff in the back - including a 50l waeco fridge loaded with cans of coke, beer and burbon ... need i say more ?

Oh, i drive a little bit faster than old krafty - but i dont think i drive the car that hard overall.

I know it is possible to slow right down and 'nurse' the car on a longish trip and have got the mileage right down to 11 lph (on a 1.5hr test run) - but its pretty hard for me to be driving long distance at mostly 93km/hr and watching the SCII like a hawk to make sure i'm not doing anything that could spike the fuel usage right up to 17lph if i'm doing full hwy speed (between 100 and 110 km/hr).

Awe come on Woody don't be so hard on yourself, your bum might be big but you don't carry that much extra weight with you

Signed: The old fat who drives slow :ha:

Latest posts

Back