Anyone done chip without exhaust?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey tbblitz,

Funny you should ask. I not long got off the phone to find out the story. They haven't got any info for me yet and the girl on the phone is going to check with the designer guru (Andrew) and give me a call back with an update tomorrow.

She said there may be an update in the programming or whatever but refused to give details which is fair enough. I guess we'll know more tomorrow.

I have a lame theory that DP Chip hasn't developed a chip specifically for the later model 2.5 D22 and that the programming has been taken from the D40 and Pathfinder and directly applied with little concern for model specific ECM differences. Problem is that both these vehicles have the VVT and bigger Intercooler among other things which makes a lot of difference. It's just a theory and I may be totally of course.

I'll let you know as I do. This really is a saga...... :suicide:

Cheers,

DJ

Your DP saga is starting to turn me off them a bit, might look at another brand.

Your outcome will depend on it.

You and me both Jason, I'm leaning towards the Taipan Chip to go with my Taipan 3" system. They actually send you out the chip, run it for 2-3 days then send it back, it stores all the data during that time, you then give them any extra mods you may have, Tyres, Snorkel etc and what type of driving styles you will be doing and they program it specifically for each individual..........sounds ok in theory anyway!

Deejay, unfortunately I believe your little theory to be correct. This is exactly what they did with the ZD30 chip. A mate had a dp dynoed on a ZD30 Nav. Results were not that great and his chip massively overfueled in the higher rpm range, so obviously not good for the egts. He was going to get it reprogrammed but the price was rediculous at $1500.

if the software is not perfectly suited to the cars, then that makes me wonder how they get such good dyno figures?

hmm...would of been good to see you dyno it and compare it to the figures they say it is supposed to make the car.

from 98kw to 125kw you definitely would see that on a dyno, let alone feel it when driving!

The dyno figures are a load of shit. I would love to know how they test it and what they add on because when you get your ute on a dyno and see what the rear wheel kw is, you will be severely disappointed as I was. I know my ute standard makes around 68 rwkw. The chip I've got punches it out to around 83 rwkw and the gas throws it up to 95rwkw. When you compare the Nav to the Ranger (110kw vs 115kw motor) the rwkw and torque of the Ranger puts the Nav to shame. I think Nissan way over state their power and torque figures.

Hi Guys,

I don't want to put anyone off the DP Chips, just want people to be aware of the trouble and lack of what I call "customer service and communication".

I'm still hoping the chip works out OK. If the chip ends up working the way I want, it will all be worth it, but if not, I want this to be a warning to all others who maybe interested to follow my path.

The YD25 had heaps more go with the chip wound to it's limits, but if it is wound that high, then I have no where left to go when I finally get the exhaust done.

If you spruke and advertise all that stuff and put doubt about other company's products on your website, then you better back it up with facts and make sure you "walk the walk" otherwise that could be considered quite misleading.

I hope this works out in a "hugs all round happy moment".

DJ

The dyno figures are a load of shit. I would love to know how they test it and what they add on because when you get your ute on a dyno and see what the rear wheel kw is, you will be severely disappointed as I was. I know my ute standard makes around 68 rwkw. The chip I've got punches it out to around 83 rwkw and the gas throws it up to 95rwkw. When you compare the Nav to the Ranger (110kw vs 115kw motor) the rwkw and torque of the Ranger puts the Nav to shame. I think Nissan way over state their power and torque figures.
I agree, rear wheel HP is the only figure that matters, because it's the only one we can easily test, Best to always get a base line power run before doing mods.
Your standard 68rwkw to 83rwkw is an excellent gain with a chip.

HI again guys,

I'm trying to remain calm and cool, but yet again the promise to call back and give an update has been broken. <Sigh>

I now have to call back again tomorrow and I feel like I'm hounding them but it's been two weeks now since I sent it overnight express post.

I think tomorrow I'll demand to speak to the guy in charge coz I'm getting a bit over it. Their customer service is poor and bordering on non existant and their product thus far, has failed to live up to their claims.

They also mentioned a couple of times that they have been trying to get other customers chips sorted that have also been returned so I'm getting a bit suss of the whole deal.

I need an answer tomorrow or I'll demoan my money back. I've had a gut full and have been more than patient.

Cheers,

DJ

Hi guys,

Just off the phone to DP Chip (they rang me!).

The chip tested up fine on all their tests so they reprogrammed the chip to have the output it had on the highest setting to be set on the middle setting. The highest setting now should be wicked. :victory:

I'll probably keep it set on the mid setting but wanted to have the additional grunt if needed. This is the result I was looking for.

They were apologetic about time taken to have the resolution sorted but they had been busy. OK, so now we wait, sounds like I should get the Chip back on Monday so will let you know how it goes once it gets plugged back in.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

DJ

it better bloody work well now!

makes me wonder of the power difference at full though...

i say test the car with no chip, get used to it, then put the chip on the lowest setting just to see if you can feel any improvement at all. then hop to half way and see how good it is. if it goes good then crank it up to full and get us a burn out video haha

Hi Guys,

I got the chip back yesterday and unfortunately didn't have time to test it until today. The two weeks it was away was good time to get used to the lack of the chip so I pretty much felt what it was like before. It also allowed my "go foot" to be a little less aggressive.

I whacked the chip back in at middle settings and it felt pretty similar to how it was on the high setting before. The Nav was pretty perky and as soon as boost comes on, it really shoots off. I'd say marginally better or equivalent to that of the ZD30.

I then tried it on setting "high", and it seemed to make no difference that I could feel, I then tried it on the lowest setting and it also seemed to make no difference so I put it back onto setting "middle".

I'm going to talk to them (dp Chip) again tomorrow after another drive. I am happy with the improved performance over standard, but it still didn't perform as I would have expected it to. I'm starting to think that the chip may well be being held back by the exhaust so I am looking into a custom dump pipe to help it breathe. I think the injectors are probably injecting more fuel but the restriction is clogging up the airflow so it may be overfueling a bit. We'll see in the next week or two.

I'll keep you up to date as usual.

Cheers,

DJ

i know you dont want to go busting money, but perhaps now would be a great time to test the before and after dyno results just to see the difference.

the torque should be up by around 90nm and the kw 25-30ish, thats according to the dp chip website...

maddog is on the money. Turbotech will do a dyno run for you for $110. They will test the car stock and then with the chip at a couple of different settings (I would suggest mid and high). They can also tell you how much fuel it is throwing in. From this info you can decide wether to keep the chip or not and what mods to do next. The dump pipe is definitely heading in the right direction though.

I know when I did my exhaust and not the dump pipe (with the chip) I noticed very little difference. As soon as the dump went in, it compounded the power difference.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the tip. I contacted Turbotech and the nav will be on the dyno by 11am today. Sweet!

When I told him I wasn't sure about the DP Chip, his response was "Not Surprised"

At least now we'll be able to see what the go is on paper.

Cheer again fellas,

As always, results will be posted after I return. (This is becoming like my own personal blog) :big_smile:

DJ

I will be interested in the dyno results. I think it will be the first posted results for a 2.5CR D22.

Latest posts

Back