Fraser Island camp sites...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanguard

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have been wanting to go to Fraser Island to do some camping. There is lots of information on Resorts, but not that much really on the camping sites. Has anyone camped there? Any sites you would recommend? Any pictures? I have read that backpackers are a problem (apparently)...
In fact any info on what could come in useful there would be great. Thanks guys.

Hey everyone,
I have been wanting to go to Fraser Island to do some camping. There is lots of information on Resorts, but not that much really on the camping sites. Has anyone camped there? Any sites you would recommend? Any pictures? I have read that backpackers are a problem (apparently)...
In fact any info on what could come in useful there would be great. Thanks guys.

Hi Vanguard,
Fraser is an amazing place and I visit there every year for the past 25years. It all depends on what you would like to do on fraser? If you are keen to see the island and the inland lakes and rainforests than I would suggest to camp near eurong on the eastern beach as the main tracks across the island proceed through here. There is a camp ground close to Eurong which is called One tree rocks, I have not personally stayed here but on the DERM website Fraser Island, Great Sandy National Park - Camping information (Department of Environment and Resource Management) they have information about all the camps on fraser. You could also stay at Central Station campground if it is open, you will have to check with the rangers before going there.

If you want to fish and camp than the Eastern beach north of Eli creek to just south of Indian head is the best place to camp. I always camp a few kms north of Dundubarra. There are no amenities so everything needs to be taken. There are plenty of creeks to take water for showers and washing up but I would advise to take all drinking water. Most camp sites are a combination of sand and grass and the best spot is close to a creek. Generators are permitted between 9-9pm and there are no fires allowed :sad:.

If you are taking a boat than I would suggest to camp at Waddy on the North Eastern side. They are doing some work there soon so check with DERM whether the camp ground is open.

I would check out the DERM website as it has a fair amount of information on the campgrounds.

I hope this helps a little and have fun, Im jealous.

Joe has answered this brilliantly. Likewise, I go to Fraser every year. Per square kilometre, it would have to be the most diverse landscape you are ever likely to see, it's beautiful, and you're doing yourself a real favour by going there. Just make sure you allow yourself at least a week so you can see as much as possible from the bottom to the top of the island.

Thanks very much guys. Sounds like a great place. I was going to go for 3-4 days but will probably extend that now.
What I really wanted is nature. Tired of hotel rooms and resorts, just want a tent and some beautiful scenery, throw in some decent 4x4ing, fishing and sounds like a getaway that I am hoping for. Shame that there are no fires...
What about the 4x4 conditions? Anything out of the ordinary that needs to be taken along?
First time planning a trip that is more than a day so a little excited but don't want to forget anything either so a little worried.

It's pretty easy 4x4ing really, just let your tyres down to about 16psi and you'll get where you need to go without too much hassle. The main places people get stuck is getting around Waddy point, Indian Head and Nagala Rocks is a bit of a tricky one too. Basically just really soft, powdery sand. Just keep momentum, choose the right gear and you should be sweet.

August-November is the best times to go for fishing, and the temperature is good then too. Summer is bloody stinking hot, and winter gets bloody cold. Even if you're not a serious fisherman (like me) you can easily throw on a pippi and catch dart off the beach. They taste pretty good straight on the BBQ.

And a bonus is that mobile phone reception is non-existent in most parts of the island if you're lucky....

Hey mate, I went up to fraser around November last year, its an awesome place, like WIR35 said, let your tyres well down as it is very soft, a set of maxtrax might be a help, although I didn't have any, and a snatch strap, even if you get bogged on your own theres plenty of people passing by, and your bound to come across someone with no idea what they're doing well and truly stuck on one of the single lane tracks (mine was some kiwi bloke in a jeep cherokee who had let his stock tyres down to 30psi and was stuck to the chassis rails).
I aslo put a 95litre water tank with pump & dual battery on, best mod i've done so far.
I think you'll need more than 4days, I was there for a week and felt i'd only scratched the surface, next time i'll make a beeline north, away from as many people as possible.
Bush camping is available in designated areas all over the island, i'd stay away from the "camp sites" (people there too, not that i'm a recluse or anything), permits available from the rangers station on the way in.
Have fun, I can't wait to get back up there!

Also, jump on google earth to get an idea of the place, and when a sign says something like 15km, 2hrs believe it, the inland tracks are slow going, but bloody good fun.
A good camera would be good too

Keep an eye out for all the cute european backpacker girls too. When we were up there in September we were floating down Eli Creek on a tractor tube, came around the corner and here's this absolutely stunning swedish/german girl posing in the creek, not a stitch of clothing on, her boyfriend taking photos of her (lucky bastard). Without a doubt, the highlight of our trip!!

Keep an eye out for all the cute european backpacker girls too. When we were up there in September we were floating down Eli Creek on a tractor tube, came around the corner and here's this absolutely stunning swedish/german girl posing in the creek, not a stitch of clothing on, her boyfriend taking photos of her (lucky bastard). Without a doubt, the highlight of our trip!!

Nice... I'll have to leave the missus to guard camp while I go out to explore the island :). :rock:

Hey mate, I went up to fraser around November last year, its an awesome place, like WIR35 said, let your tyres well down as it is very soft, a set of maxtrax might be a help, although I didn't have any, and a snatch strap, even if you get bogged on your own theres plenty of people passing by, and your bound to come across someone with no idea what they're doing well and truly stuck on one of the single lane tracks (mine was some kiwi bloke in a jeep cherokee who had let his stock tyres down to 30psi and was stuck to the chassis rails).
I aslo put a 95litre water tank with pump & dual battery on, best mod i've done so far.
I think you'll need more than 4days, I was there for a week and felt i'd only scratched the surface, next time i'll make a beeline north, away from as many people as possible.
Bush camping is available in designated areas all over the island, i'd stay away from the "camp sites" (people there too, not that i'm a recluse or anything), permits available from the rangers station on the way in.
Have fun, I can't wait to get back up there!

Thanks a lot for the feedback. Got some good info from you and WIR35. There is a national parks website related to Fraser island and they are saying that you need to book in advance etc. Is that really the case or can you just turn up on the day?

I just turned up on the day, but that was for the bush camping, I think you need to book for the proper sites.

By the way, I saw you in traffic today, corner Princes Highway at St Peters, I was driving the Grey King Cab that is absolutely filthy at the moment. Man that thing of yours is huge, I want another couple of inches now............. (suspension lift fellas)!

We never book, just stop in at the QNPS station at Rainbow Beach and get permits. Pay for barge on the barge (make sure you take the yellow/green barge if you're leaving from Inskip, it's owned by locals. The blue & white ones are owned by Chinese.

If you're going in school holidays, I would try and do bookings online before you leave.
If you have an on board air-compressor that is always handy too because the line-up for air at the servos on the mainland is always massive. Try and take as much food and fuel as you can, it costs a small fortune on the island. But don't panic if you leave something behind as there are a few shops there now which carry the essentials.

I just turned up on the day, but that was for the bush camping, I think you need to book for the proper sites.

By the way, I saw you in traffic today, corner Princes Highway at St Peters, I was driving the Grey King Cab that is absolutely filthy at the moment. Man that thing of yours is huge, I want another couple of inches now............. (suspension lift fellas)!

Ahh that was you... I always notice the King Cabs, there isn't that many of them around compared to dual cabs. I was just going to see Mark at ARB in StPeters, getting more stuff done :). Soon it'll have an extra fuel tank and an air compressor and a UHF.
Yeah it is pretty big. Lots of work, and still not finished...

Mark is a good bloke, they did the bar on mine, always in there getting suckered into things I don't need! If your king cab is anything like mine you'll be needing the bigger fuel tank. I see you're after front/rear bars, if you need someone to fabricate them give my mate matt [email protected] a shout, he has a fabricator doing custom stuff on board

Mark is a good bloke, they did the bar on mine, always in there getting suckered into things I don't need! If your king cab is anything like mine you'll be needing the bigger fuel tank. I see you're after front/rear bars, if you need someone to fabricate them give my mate matt [email protected] a shout, he has a fabricator doing custom stuff on board

Mark always manages to sell something to me as well, it's usually something that i'll probably end up using anyway.
Thanks for the contact, I'll drop him a line and see what he says.
I normally see the guys at Overkill Engineering for my custom work, but they have been getting very busy lately.
I found a the bars (front and rear) that I actually want online, from Shrockworks, not expensive either. However I'm still trying to secure the freight cost. First quote I got for freight was around $2K. If I cant get that down I'll be looking for someone to give me a good price to manufacture in Oz.
Check it out...

Attachments

• d_608-1.jpg
    d_608-1.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 97
  • d_947.jpg
    d_947.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 84
I've read on the US forums that the shrockworks gear has a few delivery issues too, those bars don't look too complicated to manufacture here either, especially the rear one.
Give matt a shout or post up on here, might be someone who can do them/knows someone who can.
Very cool though, but if you're going to ship them from the US a set of fiberwerx guards while your at it would swallow those 35's nicely

Hey,I go to the island every year for end of season trip with the boys{no women},must see places include champane pools eli creek and lake mackenzie,these are some of the best spots in the world.Iwent over last month after a couple inchs of rain had fallen and only put navara into 4wd once,the tracks and beach were so hard.

When I was up there a couple of months ago the champagne pools were almost completely covered in sand, I was devo!! Usually it's full of scantily clad backpackers!!! haha. I was up there as a kid about 15 years ago catching 30-40cm Bream in the champagne pools...

Hey all,

Just opening an old thread instead of making a new one. Heading off to Fraser after easter for 2 weeks and was wondering where people have camped and what you thought? Will be my nav and a mates patrol towing a ultimate camper. We will be heading for day trips but would alsp like somewhere where we can just walk out for a fish

Thanks

Back