All Smashed Up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to me it's a no brainer the d40 is piss weak compared to the ranger in the bush, if the ranger wasn't so dear at the time i bought my d40 i would of bought a ranger, i wore out everything except the motor in my last one and it only had 170,000ks.

Got the price down to $50k drive away on the ranger with all the bits i want, ARB or TJM bullbar, rear bar, under body bash plates, canopy with racks, roof rack for cab, snorkel, tint, weather shields, bonnet protector, mats, so pretty much everything excluding the lift $2k and the tyres

to me it's a no brainer the d40 is piss weak compared to the ranger in the bush, if the ranger wasn't so dear at the time i bought my d40 i would of bought a ranger, i wore out everything except the motor in my last one and it only had 170,000ks.

Yeah i am starting to lean more towards the Ranger especially because of the construction of the driveline, steel front housing for one and it can be spaced super easy for levelling out the cv angles ect after the lift not to mention the rear locker as standard.

Spoke to the guys at ultimate today and opposite lock and both of them said they think the Ranger is the stronger and easier truck to mod.

I know of two guys who bought the new style ranger both died 1st time off road. I have a friend who works for Isuzu he recons all the new duel are much in muchness. Just as long as the warrent pans out

I know of two guys who bought the new style ranger both died 1st time off road. I have a friend who works for Isuzu he recons all the new duel are much in muchness. Just as long as the warrent pans out

I think that there are those stories for every car ever made, look no further then this forum for eg we all have read about others horror runs, for me it really is the front diff that is putting me off and the fact that there isnt anything we can do about the ally housing, yeah you can put lockers in but the housing will still be alloy and still crack like an egg shell from time to time and after experiencing it first hand i now know it doesnt actually take much to go, it may be after allot of use they develop stress fractures then all of a sudden CRACK and oil is all over the ground.

I have been speaking to a ambo driver mate who owns a new Ranger and just come back from the cape and then across to the simo and he said he cant fault it, and he has owned allot of patrols over all sorts of models.

as i said i still love the D40 and my old D22 and very well may end up with a third D40, but after driving the ford and asking around i actually rate them.

Last edited:
how did they die,
One popped a tranfer seal and filled with water. The other set off the air backs going over a bump.

I think that there are those stories for every car ever made, look no further then this forum for eg we all have read about others horror runs, for me it really is the front diff that is putting me off and the fact that there isnt anything we can do about the ally housing, yeah you can put lockers in but the housing will still be alloy and still crack like an egg shell from time to time and after experiencing it first hand i now know it doesnt actually take much to go, it may be after allot of use they develop stress fractures then all of a sudden CRACK and oil is all over the ground.

I have been speaking to a ambo driver mate who owns one and just come back from the cape and then across to the simo and he said he cant fault it, and he has owned allot of patrols over all sorts of models.

as i said i still love the D40 and my old D22 and very well may end up with a third D40, but after driving the ford and asking around i actually rate them.

Very Ture.... I personly hate fords. In saying tho if you want comfort then a ford is the way to go. No 1 ever mangage to match the comfort that ford did at a reasonable price.

Considered bt50?

Not at all mate, i know they are esentially the same ute but mazda dropped the ball with the styling and i just cant stand the look of the front end especially with a bullbar which i want, looks like Dam Edna on a bad day and the rear end is just as bad.

The other thing is they seem to be asking for more $$ then ford?? i thought it would of been the other way around but apparently not.

This one is strong, stylish, macho.

Good load carrying capacity too.

Attachments

• Nathan's new ute.jpg
    Nathan's new ute.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Nathan's new ute fully loaded.jpg
    Nathan's new ute fully loaded.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 66
The Ranger is a big long heavy rig we followed one with a dickhead driver through the worst of the inland tracks on fraser he bogged on the towbar and side rails 3 times we pulled him out with a bit of lift it would be a good bit of gear,would i buy one...sure the 550 and the ranger stock can just get over a big speedbump after spending huge money i would not wan't a gearbox that is not yet refined to suit that motor give me the yd25 atm.

The Ranger is a big long heavy rig we followed one with a dickhead driver through the worst of the inland tracks on fraser he bogged on the towbar and side rails 3 times we pulled him out with a bit of lift it would be a good bit of gear,would i buy one...sure the 550 and the ranger stock can just get over a big speedbump after spending huge money i would not wan't a gearbox that is not yet refined to suit that motor give me the yd25 atm.

The XLT does have the most ridiculous tow bar that is nothing but a plough, and the side steps on any of the new utes are just plane dumb with the height they are set at.

Thats why im thinking of going for the XLS because it doesnt come with either of those things that i would just take off within the first 2min of it getting in my driveway.

Not at all mate, i know they are esentially the same ute but mazda dropped the ball with the styling and i just cant stand the look of the front end especially with a bullbar which i want, looks like Dam Edna on a bad day and the rear end is just as bad.

The other thing is they seem to be asking for more $$ then ford?? i thought it would of been the other way around but apparently not.

No worries.

My mate bought one as was cheaper then equivalent ford. But can understand if not your thing, no use buying what you don't want.

Ranger 4x4 XLS Double Cab Pick-up 3.2L manual from $43,990 drive away

just finished watching a heap of vids and promo's and reviews on the ranger
that's a good price for what looks on paper to be a good ute
the traction control looks complicated, but capable
love the rear locker, but makes me wonder how tight the rear lsd is
and there's a lot of electrickery and buttons and pretty lights that personally put me off
ford also don't seem to mention wty period on there website?

looking forward to having a closer look if you buy one mate

I have to ask
have you considered a dmax?
seriously

Last edited:
seriously[/QUOTE Something familiar about that the last time a long time navara owner upgraded he banned us all and abused the quality of the rigs we drove,maby it is a good thing.

Ranger 4x4 XLS Double Cab Pick-up 3.2L manual from $43,990 drive away

just finished watching a heap of vids and promo's and reviews on the ranger
that's a good price for what looks on paper to be a good ute
the traction control looks complicated, but capable
love the rear locker, but makes me wonder how tight the rear lsd is
and there's a lot of electrickery and buttons and pretty lights that personally put me off
ford also don't seem to mention wty period on there website?

looking forward to having a closer look if you buy one mate

I have to ask
seriously

Thats the one mate, XLS
im looking at getting it with
TJM bullbar,
TJM snokel,
ARB bash plates,
TJM rear bar,
Canopy (not sure yet looking at three different ones)
Roof racks, on cab and canopy
16 x 8 black alloy rims with 33" (prob cooper's)
Flared guards
Ultimate suspension 2" lift
Tint,
wether shields,
bonnet protector,
UHF,
all for $55k maybe slightly more depends on the canopy i choose.

The Nav owed me $54K

I also drove the Ranger again today and it seems really good, the gear box is very tight and shifts are super close together, something i may have to get use to.
The power comes on at really low RPM and you can take off in second on the flat, the power curve is shorter compared to the YD25 D40 but on paper the 3.2 has more torque and killer wasps.
also the standard height from chassis to the ground is ALLOT higher the the D40

Basically it seems to suit me a little better for the off road stuff i want to do.

Also the service intervals are every 15k, and the warranty is 100,000km

Im not going to bag the Navs as i still really like them and if the accident not occurred I would not even be contemplating buying the Ranger, but with the current situation i have the luxury of choice.

As for the Dmax, i just dont like them although they may very well be a good ute there just no my cup of tea nor are the BT50, Hilux, Triton, Holden or Amarok, the only two that i like and suit my needs are the D40 or the Ranger.

Sparra if I end up getting the Ranger your place may be a good drive to get the first 1000km up.

Nathan did you have a locker of any sort in the front diff.? I know you said you broke the alloy case, but I have not heard of anyone splitting the front diff with a locker installed.?

I thought the weak link was the 2 pinion centre which breaks teeth off and then these go into the ring and pinion and forces the diff to split when the gear mesh gets jammed up. Any photo's of your diff failures.

_

What's the space in the back of the ranger like - guess I should sit in the back of the one at work next week?

Back