550 using more fuel than normal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizz007

Reaction score
ok so my stx v6 disiel was getting 730 k to a till the fuel light came on when i first got it which i was really happy with, so the it went in for its first service to nissan and now im getting around 600 to 630 till the light comes on , ive gone thru 5 tanks of fuel to see if it was how i was driving it but still can only get 600 to 630. what have nissan done to it,

If you're worried about what Nissan did ask them what they did, ask them for a complete run down of the service and the tasks carried out. There is some things they could do to change economy but with such limited information it would be nothing short of a lucky guess for anyone here to give you the correct answer.

Mate had the same issues with mine. Nissan will just bla,e some dirty fuel. the addition of a bull bar or roof racks or extra load in the rear... Mine also seems to get worse fuel economy the closer it gets towards the due service intervals. Don't know if they program the engine computer this way to help protect the extended service periods or not. Trying to get a straight answer out of an apprentice Nissan mechanic is impossible....

Mate I purchased an ST-X D40 brand new in 2007, had it log book serviced at Nissan from purchase until late 2009. That is when it became crystal clear! The only problems we ever had would always be just after a service. I started taking mine to my local opposite lock, never had an issue (major) after that. Sold the D40 late last year and purchased a brand new ST-X 550. I take the 550 to OL, the 550 will never see a Nissan service center.

I'm now getting 11.4 litres per 100 kms after a 2" suspension lift & 265/70/R70 Mickey MTZ's fitted. That seems to be what she has settled on, I've done 10,000 kms already.

Normally the first service is a inspection and basic checkover.10K is a oil and filter change and check tension on all bolts,that's what they say no form of ecu ajustment is made unless there is a problem maby you are driving harder the auto won't help i pulled out two 550,s a d40 2.5 and a auto hilux on last fraser trip give me a manual anyday the 550 and auto is not a good combo the one i test drove did not feel to me like the quoted outputs the thing worked in the gears shifting all the time that wastes power and fuel pehaps you are driving harder than when it was new

Happy John, Totally disagree sorry! The ST-X 550 is the best 4X4 ute I've ever owned (its my 3rd). Fraser is sand driving, sand driving is sand driving! Anything will eventually get bogged at some stage. Most who sand drive, love to push it a little as soon as they hit sand to try get bogged. In fact, it's no fun unless you do get bogged!
I just took my 550 to Mount Pinnabar in the high country for her first major outing last week. No troubles at all, manual mode work every well and with the MTZ's plus tough dogs plus 170kw & 550Nm, she preformed as well (if not better) then my mates 120 Prado, my father-in-laws 120 Prado, my brother-in-laws Pajero and my other mates SR5 Lux. I loved my 07 D40 but old Black Betty had nothing on the new 550. Out classed in all areas.

will find out what they did on monday what they did, it was the first 10,000k service not 1,000k one , my driving style hasnt changed infact i made sure i drove it steady to see if i could get 700+ to a tank , as far as off road it loves the beach cant fault it at all ,

Hey a2 you probably know how to drive better than most apologies for the negative comments re the 550 i felt it lacking on a test drive but that was 15mins on the tar my farm truck d22 has 152kw 526nm "at the flywheel" and not to stir up a hornet nest i reckon with the less weight it goes harder
and better on fuel my cost 29000 plus 3k to do my mods at the end of the day it's what you are happy with i don't wan't all that fancy crap get out and lock the hubs suits me getting 780km from 68ltrs even more

Hey a2 you probably know how to drive better than most apologies for the negative comments re the 550 i felt it lacking on a test drive but that was 15mins on the tar my farm truck d22 has 152kw 526nm "at the flywheel" and not to stir up a hornet nest i reckon with the less weight it goes harder
and better on fuel my cost 29000 plus 3k to do my mods at the end of the day it's what you are happy with i don't wan't all that fancy crap get out and lock the hubs suits me getting 780km from 68ltrs even more

Hey mate, nah fully understand, a mate of mine has a D22. He comes out with us all the time, it's definitely the work horse of the bunch. The 550 just seems to be getting a lot of bad press, unwarranted from my experiences with one.

Last edited:
well i spoke to nissan on friday and they said they didnt do anything apart from the 10000 k service , but have told me to bring it in for diagnostics check next week

Hi to reset the ecu is it a matter of disconnecting the battery on the 550 or is there more to it? Is the same as a relearn or only nissan can do it.

If the ECU is truly a constantly learning unit that will learn from each drivers habits and adapt to settings between what it knows and how the driver drives then at best the driver can influence the ECU through regular driving as much or more than the ECU reset. At worst the ECU resets and relearns all the drivers bad habits within a short distance.

ECU resets are far from dangerous but they are also not long term fix, if a fix at all, if common theory about their operation is close to correct.

Relearning or reprogramming can be done and several companies claim that can do it although I'm not sure anyone here has done it.

I bought a new STX in december, was running great, 10.4 ltr/100km, it then hit 1000km by the time it got too 1500km it had risen to 10.8ltr, due to work I couldn't get it in for a servive untill 3000km which it was up to 11.6ltr. service/check over done, dropped to 9.8ltrs which is where it's running at now for the last 500km's.
Nissans up to something

Things were show much simpler before they stuffed computers and sensors everywhere.10% improvement,30% more expensive, twice as much to go wrong and $130hr to tell you they don't have a clue.*

*estimates

my 550 is 6 months old and has just got 9000 on the clock i'm getting 9 litres per 100 and around 750 - 760k's religiously per tank knocking around town and when we had a run up to noosa i got 7.4 litres per 100, i cannot fault the thing the only gripe i have is with the gearshifts its up and down gears like a fiddlers elbow it shifts nice and smoothly and everything but my nark with it is how speed related the shifts are it is so annoying when driving at 60k's an hour!! but other than that its a great thing, quiet, smooth and deceptively fast.
There is no way the nimrods at nissan are touching it again for the 10,000k service twice they have had it in and twice it has come back scratched all the way through to the metal!! i lost the plot with them both times and as you would expect they said "we know nothing about the scratch, it can't of been us" last time it was there i told them not to wash it as i had done it myself that morning when i got back to pick it up it was in the wash bay with some young scrote with a spray gun on the airline hammering it in silicone spray the tires and side steps were dripping in the shit i just hope she never needs painting or the reaction will be off the scale!! that's it i've done talking about the dealers if i carry on i will just get angry this is just the tip of the iceberg!!

10% improvement,30% more expensive, twice as much to go wrong and $130hr to tell you they don't have a clue.*
*estimates

It's a good thing they are estimates. Realistically there has been a lot more than a 10% improvement in modern vehicles thanks to computer controlling, sure fuel economy might have changed by 10% but there is a lot more to a car than economy.

As for the hourly rate that's more to do with this country's unsustainable greed for higher wages but realistically belongs in another debate.

Mine has 3800km on it. Just drove from Melbourne to Katherine NT.
Was getting around 9lt/100km (highway) at around 100kmh, then I hit the NT (speed limit 130kmh) and it went out to around 12lt/100km. Still new and tight, but was looking for a little better. This is off the trip computer so accuracy is questionable.

Latest posts

Back