What car alarm and why? also recovery gear

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkeymagic77

Reaction score
Hello all!

just wanted to ask a question to everyone.. what car alarm did you choose and why?

Recently since i got it wanted to add more security to it by adding a car alarm with shock and tilt sensors?

Also when it comes to recovery gear i.e. straps... what rating is good for beginners or just do it once do it right with bigger the better?

thanks all :) im still learning hehe

Sorry I can't help you much with car alarms etc. but with your recovery gear don't skimp with cheap stuff. Make sure it's all rated. Snatch straps aren't always bigger the better because your car will be to light to stretch it properly in a recovery. I think they are ment to be roughly 3 times the weight of your car. 4.7 tonne shackles are what I use plus have a 6.5 tonne because its big and fits snatch block/straps etc easily. I think my other straps are 12000 lb. also as your still learning NEVER snatch off your tow ball get rated recovery points.

As above.

You can use over-rated shackles, hooks, winch extensions, tree protectors (in fact, any non-elastic item) but not snatch straps. Keep track of how many times you use 'em and try to keep them clean.

Rated recovery points (one per chassis rail) and an equalisation strap is good sense, using towballs is sheer stupidity.

Be careful of the cheap stuff. Buying cheaper isn't a bad thing, but make sure that you're getting something near the tried & tested stuff. Walk into an ARB store and look at some of their recovery gear - it's pricey, but they use it in competitions and it IS good stuff.

I bought some genuine Hayman Reese 3T 'D' shackles and wanted a couple more - I happened to be in Supercheap and found some 3T ones that were half the thickness and had miserably thin 'handles' on the bolt. I don't believe that they'd perform satisfactorily. Take care that with any recovery gear - including the hooks and the bolts that mount them to the chassis - are actually strong enough.

oh cheers for that..i figured its like a motorbike helmet u just dont skimp on it cheers

so with snatch straps best to times the weight of my car by 3 to find which is best?

oh cheers for that..i figured its like a motorbike helmet u just dont skimp on it cheers

so with snatch straps best to times the weight of my car by 3 to find which is best?

Yeah I think so. Arb I'm pretty sure do 3 size snatch straps. I have the small 1 which i think is 6 or 8 tonne cant remember and it is fine. I have mates who have cheaper ebay ones and they are crap plus they are falling to bits and mine is still fine. Although I'm sure other good quality gear will hold up.

Generally snatch straps are 8 or 12 tonne. An 8T one will do ya.

Just make sure you have BOTH chassis rails fitted with recovery hooks and you always use an equalisation strap. This spreads the shock load across both chassis rails so you don't do something disastrous like put about 4-5T of strain on a single chassis member and bend the bloody thing!

12 gauge shotgun out the bedroom window will do the trick , and should be legal too !!!!! effin nancy dudly do rights in this country have put the ball in the criminals court , and law abiding people have zero rights , they want it ? cool , lets see if they can drive it away with no legs

12 gauge shotgun out the bedroom window will do the trick , and should be legal too !!!!! effin nancy dudly do rights in this country have put the ball in the criminals court , and law abiding people have zero rights , they want it ? cool , lets see if they can drive it away with no legs

Good thing about living in the middle of nowhere, no witnesses :rofl2:

<<< takes out corncob pipe , spits straw , puts moonshine down , i live in the hills , * wink , can you hear a tree fall in the forest if theres nobody listening ;)

Last edited:

:love sign:

cheers ill save up for a recovery kit from arb or tjm... i guess its the just different colours and brands?

first aid kit? should i get a road use one then mix it up with other kit or just buy a good one?

if it was me, i'd Rambo it with a gunpowder burn to the wound and harden the f* up... lol jk id cry and pass out lol :rofl2:

Roll & triangle bandages in abundance plus bandaids and saline wash is about all you need. Add tweezers, antiseptic wipes and scissors & you'll be able to handle most problems.

Latest posts

Back