warming up your engine?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that my engine temperature doesn't rise very quickly when stationary,

Another reason for this is that the temp gauge in your dash doesn't measure 0C at the bottom and 140(ish)C at the top with equal segments in between. My needle doesn't begin moving until the water temp hits 50C (according to scangauge), it then rises gradually in accordance with what scangauge is showing. Once warm it sits at about half between the bottom mark and the next mark up, the distance in between is considered "normal operating temps" and different cars under different conditions will all sit at different points and still be normal.

On cold days in 50 and 60 zones I can be up to 5ks from home before the gauge begins to move, but scangauge shows me the water is slowly rising up until that point which gives me another reason to ignore the dash cluster

Last edited by a moderator:
While this threads name dropping, I once had Kylie Minogue lying on top on me.
The story goes.
I was walking through Dimmeys Harris Scarfe in Melbourne back in the late 80's, I turned around a corner and was bowled over by Kylie running flat chat straight into me, ended up sprawled on the ground with Miss Minogue staring straight into my eyes. She leapt up with out a word of sorry and took off again. This was back in the days when she was on Neighbours. No one believed me at school on Monday but I swear it is true.

It's being my greatest story to spruik to the boys at the pub.

Now back on topic!! LOL

In my dream she was on my face.....:dancing:

Time to wake up now:big_smile:

What Id give to have Kylie lay on top of me!......

I think I'd be happy just being a bear.

file.php

Sorry to interupt the 'dream session' of that magnificent creature of desire Kylie,
be my guest and go back there shortly,

but,

just came to mind that those pedandtic enough, one can fit a 'block heater' to the engine to keep the coolant thus case/engine warm overnight.
These are used on firetrucks [MFB] and Standby Gensets and also were available from GM as we/some use them on our drag engines.
They fit into the case inplace of a welch plug,
some guys went as far as fitting heaters to their sumps to heat the oil as well.

:cheers!:

I live in the middle of suburbia, it's a slow drive for some 10 minutes before you can find an 80km/h zone and at 50-60km/h even driving gently, by the time I reach those areas the car is up to temp.

I tend to start mine and warm it up for about a minute before moving off slowly. If I'm towing, I let it warm up for about 5 minutes while I go over the whole rig to make sure it's all hooked up, lights are working etc before moving off.

I find that my engine temperature doesn't rise very quickly when stationary, I have to get moving and work the diesel to get the temp up - so rather than waste fuel doing nothing, I just gently take it out onto the road and don't push it until it's warm.

I'm not a mechanic, although I do understand the basics, like which way you should bolt in seat belt anchors to bull bars and what kind of oil to put in your rear view mirror.

I'm much the same as above, but i am also confuseed like KraftyPg about the rear view mirror .... where is the dip stick to check the oil for this? i'm a bit concerned as i've never checked this on any of my previous cars .... didnt know you had too in the Navara.
:big_smile:

I'm much the same as above, but i am also confuseed like KraftyPg about the rear view mirror .... where is the dip stick to check the oil for this? i'm a bit concerned as i've never checked this on any of my previous cars .... didnt know you had too in the Navara.
:big_smile:

You'll find the dipstick is probably driving the Navara shown in the garage attached to this post.

I'm a bit worried about topping up the oil for the inside rear view mirror too, one slip and you could end up with oil throughout the cabin and the last thing we want is and OH&S issue in our salons.

It's no wonder we need those puddle lights, they show us when the outside mirrors are leaking or over full.

On the subject of warming the engine before starting - I saw a documentary (probably on Discovery back when we thought that Foxtel was actually worth having) about a place in Russia that was so cold they had to pour oil into long, shallow trays and light it, then slide the tray under the truck to warm it up. That's an extreme I hope to never experience!

i am of the "warm it up" school of thought. look at it this way, if you start it up, drive it out of your garage (if you have one), put seat belt on, idle to edge of driveway/street - you are giving your engine time to pump oil up to the top of the engine where it's needed to coat everything (when engines sit for even short periods of no use the oil drains down into the sump). then drive slowley and don't rev the engine high for a km or so. If you want to thrash it/work it hard, wait untill it is completley warm before doing so. remember heat changes make things expand and contract.

My last car (1997 Audi A4) said in the manual NOT to sit and idle the engine to warm up, but to drive it without racing the engine. my guess is that they didn't want idiots sitting in their garage's killing themselves with carbon monoxide fumes.

Another reason for this is that the temp gauge in your dash doesn't measure 0C at the bottom and 140(ish)C at the top with equal segments in between. My needle doesn't begin moving until the water temp hits 50C (according to scangauge), it then rises gradually in accordance with what scangauge is showing. Once warm it sits at about half between the bottom mark and the next mark up, the distance in between is considered "normal operating temps" and different cars under different conditions will all sit at different points and still be normal.

On cold days in 50 and 60 zones I can be up to 5ks from home before the gauge begins to move, but scangauge shows me the water is slowly rising up until that point which gives me another reason to ignore the dash cluster

Same thing with the '22.
Thats why i know the engine is actually warming up while sitting stationary,
and also why nissan provided the fast idle/warmup switch,
perfect for my cold conditions and probably not so important for areas with warm ambient temps.

just a thought but does the egr hav anything to do with the warming up or fuel ratio of the engine. because i blocked mine n it takes like 10 mins or more on some days, i was talking to a mate who did work at nissan for like 8 years n he said if i dont unblock it my engine wont last 2 years ?

egr is not on when its cold so it has absolutely no effect on warm up.
fuel ratio...diesels don't rely on a fuel ratio. however how you drive can effect how it heats up.
with a diesel the bulk of the heat comes from fuel being burnt. the more fuel you burn (ie use more throttle) the quicker it will heat up. so if you baby the motor when cold it will take longer to heat up. but using more throttle often means accelerating hard out which is not good. what you can do is load the motor up by using a higher gear. same fuel being burnt but less internal cooling of the motor so the motor heats up quicker.

Sorry to interupt the 'dream session' of that magnificent creature of desire Kylie,
be my guest and go back there shortly,

but,

just came to mind that those pedandtic enough, one can fit a 'block heater' to the engine to keep the coolant thus case/engine warm overnight.
These are used on firetrucks [MFB] and Standby Gensets and also were available from GM as we/some use them on our drag engines.
They fit into the case inplace of a welch plug,
some guys went as far as fitting heaters to their sumps to heat the oil as well.

:cheers!:
Im from Upstate New York.
Every truck I ever owned had a block heater installed and was plugged in every night during the winter. Some heated the sump, some went into the lower radiator hose and some went into the soft plug. I reckon it was the best thing for any engine in the frigid north. In some US States the parking meters are actually powered so you plug in your vehicle to keep it warm while you shop. Mind you at -30f and below it doesnt take an engine long to get cold.
Now that I live in Cairns my Navara gets about 10 seconds warm up before I start driving.
I reckon thats about how long it takes between the engine starting and me shoving it in gear and going...
Bill

Im from Upstate New York.
Every truck I ever owned had a block heater installed and was plugged in every night during the winter. Some heated the sump, some went into the lower radiator hose and some went into the soft plug. I reckon it was the best thing for any engine in the frigid north. In some US States the parking meters are actually powered so you plug in your vehicle to keep it warm while you shop. Mind you at -30f and below it doesnt take an engine long to get cold.

Bill

Bet ya dont miss that anymore.

i dont know anymore my neighbour is releasing the clutch as the starter motor is still disengauging he has done that for years ina hilux diesel no drama's i let mine idol for a minute then go

i dont know anymore my neighbour is releasing the clutch as the starter motor is still disengauging he has done that for years ina hilux diesel no drama's i let mine idol for a minute then go

Don't fret mate,
plenty of folk just doin the 'turn key, bang into gear and off they go'.

Read what you read, take some in or throw it all out,
make a choice and stick to it.......or change it.
Your choice.

Who starts with the clutch in anyhow? In gear, clutch out, turn the key off we go! :sarcastic:

Don't fret mate,
plenty of folk just doin the 'turn key, bang into gear and off they go'.

Read what you read, take some in or throw it all out,
make a choice and stick to it.......or change it.
Your choice.

Hey Krankin, it's not your Nav on the front page of the North Central Review is it? :devil:

Latest posts

Back