warming up your engine?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I let mine warm up for as long as I can every time I drive. Unless I'm on a call out (fire brigade) just jump in car and I'm off to the station.

Well from what i been reading, when diesels sit over night water tends to accumulate between the piston rings, that there is enough for me to never! drive it without warming it! first to rid the water, or condensation.

Start and drive right away here. Although the first few minutes is minimal throttle opening and least load as possible. Then again coldest temp I have ever been here is an extremely rare 8 degs one morning.
Most damage is caused on the initial cracking and fire-up.

My d22 2.5 can sit an idle for fifteen + minutes and the water temp gauge dont move at all. If i just drive it. gently only takes a min or two to be at full operating temp so for that reason it only iddles for a minute or so before i drive off. i think it would do more damage sitting there cold for ten minutes than it would gently driving it and getting to operating temp quick.

I posted in this thread ages ago, but my routine is the same as ever. Fire it up a minute or two before driving off if I can and drive gently until the temp gauge needle is well off the stop.

Bit of a problem with the R51 Pathy I have, the auto tends to hold gears a touch longer than I like when the engine is cold but we live on a busy 100kmh zone road. If there is plenty of space I work it up to 100 over a km or so but if there is a B double coming up behind you there is not much option but to get moving a bit quicker.

Well from what i been reading, when diesels sit over night water tends to accumulate between the piston rings, that there is enough for me to never! drive it without warming it! first to rid the water, or condensation.

Burning Deisel produces alot of water too.
Here's a forumula from Wiki.

4C12H23 + 71O2 --> 48CO2 + 46H2O

So every litre of diesel burnt produces more than 11 of water.

Thread was done not long ago bout this, appears that 2greedy is bringing up a few oldies today.

Burning Deisel produces alot of water too.
Here's a forumula from Wiki.

4C12H23 + 71O2 --> 48CO2 + 46H2O

So every litre of diesel burnt produces more than 11 of water.

pretty sure you quoted moles not liters in which case there are 55 moles of H2O per liter iirc, also that reaction doesn't take into account the air we breath is actually only like 12% oxygen and 79% nitrogen (which is where NOx gases come from) so yea reaction under test tube conditions not exactly whats happening in the engine.

sorry to be a pedant.

pretty sure you quoted moles not liters in which case there are 55 moles of H2O per liter iirc, also that reaction doesn't take into account the air we breath is actually only like 12% oxygen and 79% nitrogen (which is where NOx gases come from) so yea reaction under test tube conditions not exactly whats happening in the engine.

sorry to be a pedant.

Only did one yr of Chem a long time ago.

But I read it as 4 of C12H23 (diesel) reacts with 71O2 to produce 46 of H20, or about 11 times. I stuffed up with quoted litres for sure, Molar mass.

By the way 20.9 oxygen in air!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back