turbo screaming. HELP PLEASE!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alot of comments regarding EGR pipe. i read the links and butterflied it but cant see how to block off pipe. any hel? I cant work.out witch pipe need to be blocked off

degrease your engine bay too, so you can see if and how much oil is leaking and where from. plus it will help to have a clean bay if your working in there. it is normal for these motors to get a fair bit of oily build up around all the joins in the intake ducting after a while.

Take front of turbo off, If its a factory turbo then theres three 12mm bolts i believe.
Grab that wheel and give it a good shake, let us know what sort of play there is.

If there is play, grab one of those little adjustable mirrors and have a look around the circumference of the housing. You might see some polished/rough patches where the inlet comp wheel is rubbing. Also if there is oil through your "turbo to inlet manifold pipe" thats a good indicator that its leaking oil.

If not, then as people have said... still check hoses, they may have a split otherwise get some GOOD clamps. If still there, then check the EGR tube (left side of inlet manifold. Look for black weeping such as oil.

Also check the hose that goes from the boost sensor to the main turbo pipe. Can get brittle, replace.

Also check the turbo housing to waste gate tube aslo may leak get some good clamps or replace.

Final option, check exhaust side, dump pipe and "turbo to exhaust manifold gasket". Look around it, look for black soot.

best of luck

Last edited:
If the egr butterfly mod is done. wont the egr pipe still fill with gas so noise will continue if that is the fault?

Yes you will need to block at both sides providing the leak is from the other side...Its easy to get to, i didnt do mine as it was rusted... and looked like a pain in the ass to get off. Rule out the simply things before you do anything drastic.

If your set on the EGR blanking plate. Get plenty of good gasket goo and seal on both sides.

Last edited:
Before you do anymore with egr stop everything and do what people said above literally 5 minute job .... 3x 12 mm bolts on front of turbo and check the wheel for play.... Ad check for wheel marks where the turbo is scraping the housing.... In plain english the fan looking thing touching the alloy case it spins inside of

Second thing is the allen key bolts on the back side of the front alloy housing on the turbo there are 4 and commonly drop out

I wouldnt drive the car!

Mate mine was screeching for ages and no one could figure out what it was, diesel mechanics mad motor head mates denco diesel was the one who suggested the leaking EGR and low and behold they were spot on.
Since them i have read a few posts on here of the same noise and the same thing causing it.

I also would as others have said, check the free play and housing for any signs of wear or scrapping.

Last edited:
Cheers for all advice. ill have a look a t both options. really hopeing turbo is fine. guess the inspection of the tubo will tell

just to add
oil comeing out he joins after turbo is not often a turbo leaking oil. these get lot of oil through via the crackcase breather.

check turbo, if thats looks ok then pull the covers off the turbo and check the egr tube. they break on the joins. have a look around for any soot marks.

aw k well i take that as a no. So if you find oil in the tube it will be from blow by as tweak said. Other wse if you had one and still oil then i would lean towards turbo.

Look up DIY catch can. cost about 60 to make, Very important for turbo life.

If you really want to eliminate EGR just remove the pipe.
And make a decent blocking plate for the EGR section of the exhaust manifold.
This is something i am contemplating

Latest posts

Back