turbo screaming. HELP PLEASE!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jardz91

Reaction score
In my 3lt 01d22 the turbo has started makeing an extremely loud screaming sound.
it happens around town or driveing relativly slow under boost. even only mild boost. the noise settles on the highway after a good run but once acceleration is backed of it starts screaming again when i accelerate again. . i noticed alot of oil around front of turbo where the air filter comes into it.
possible cause? Soloution. could a pipe be loose or will i be up for a new turbo? :( under a fairly tight budget so hopeing not.. any help please!

Have you made sure all your hose clamps are tight? And check for cracked/split pipes, Sounds like a boost leak to
Me

Check the EGR pipe all the way around, there has been more then a few people report the same symptoms as you.

You Can block it at both ends and put the pipe back and if it doesnt fix it you lost nothing, most people block the EGR anyway.

With the oil leak check the four small allan head bolts on the back side of the turbo cartridge, there has also been more then a few people including my self where they have come loose, and in my case one fell right out on the freeway and made a real racket.
When they come loose the turbo leaks oil everywhere.

Last edited:
Oh and you will need to cut the allen key down so that it fits in the gap for the bottom two

the best way to find it would be some pics, as i dont have the d22 anymore you will need to look through the forum in the d22 section.
there are heaps of threads and most have some pics

let me know if you cant find them and i might get Dave to post some up.

just check shaft play with comp wheel.

Otherwise a scream/screech noise is a boost leak. Get a boost guage as see when the noise starts. I have a gentle scream on 13-15psi. Need to get a better hose and some boost T turbo clamps.

Dont panic

Yeah Ide be cheakin if there's any play on the shaft in the turbo aswell. . Hopefully there's not

ffs if it sounds like a failing turbo, DO NOT DRIVE IT.
if its fails completely kiss your engine goodbye.

pull the front off and check how much slop there is. if there is some pull the whole turbo for a closer look.

i assume your not talking about some slight whistle noise which could be crack egr tube or split boost hose.

From memory I think it's only 3 bolts you take off the front of the turbo? Correct me if I'm wrong? My navs at work

Where the pipe from air box goes onto the turbo just under there. Hope this pic helps just got back to work

Attachments

• image-3804376960.jpg
    image-3804376960.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 50
Back