Take off Lag, 1st gear..

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nissan Nut

Reaction score
Hey all, since i brought my Nav, i've been having issues with take off lag. ("Turbo Lag") I know a ton of Nav's the same.. Especially when it's cold.. Once the turbo kicks in it's a different car, and Flys. :rock:

Getting sick of riding the new Exedy Clutch, at Steep Traffic Lights, my driveway, etc. I understand First gear is High Geared..

Do you think a pedal box would help?

http://www.ecuchips.co.nz/pedalbox/

Or do any of you have any ideas how to fix it..

It's the only frustrating thing with the car.. Apart from that, LOVE IT!

Actually just put new ARB sidesteps on it today.. :rock:

i dont ever ride my clutch in either the Thai or Spain built D40's.
when im at a stop on a very steep hill i raise the revs to around 1500rpm before i even stat to let the clutch out, then as i lift my foot off the clutch a give it a few more revs and away it goes.
I have found if i dont pick the revs up first it is a slug and then it feels as though the clutch needs to be feathered, BUT knowing how the DMF can get hot and stuff up i just stop and start over with higher revs first.
Works for me anyway.

i dont ever ride my clutch in either the Thai or Spain built D40's.
when im at a stop on a very steep hill i raise the revs to around 1500rpm before i even stat to let the clutch out, then as i lift my foot off the clutch a give it a few more revs and away it goes.
I have found if i dont pick the revs up first it is a slug and then it feels as though the clutch needs to be feathered, BUT knowing how the DMF can get hot and stuff up i just stop and start over with higher revs first.
Works for me anyway.

Hey that's what I do , its like taking off in power band,
occasionally I don't quite get it right though (doh!)

Hey that's what I do , its like taking off in power band,
occasionally I don't quite get it right though (doh!)

Yeah if you do miss it you know about it,
I drive these things different to any car ive driven in the last 28yrs, BUT the Thai built D40 now has 130,000km on it and still has original clutch even with my brother in-law (new owner) towing his massive ski boat, and my new one almost has 60 with stock clutch so method must work.

Yes, they need more revs at take off, there's no easy way around it. I'm very surprised just how exteremely gutless these things are until the turbo kicks in. To me they feel like they're only about 1400cc's, very underpowered.

My Nav is my 2nd diesel, the first was a 1984 2.4 litre diesel Hilux with 400,000+ on the clock. In a way that was easier to drive as you had to give it a bootful to get going, but it didn't blast off like turbo's do, it had a much more linear response.

Another problem with the damn turbo lag can be encountered when you're going up a steep hill offroad. You're going up, up and up some more but you need a lower gear, the thing just dies when you down shift, so you're left with a completely turbo lagged situation.

The best way I've found to get around this is to double clutch the thing, this makes a massive difference and if you can get it into gear quick enough (not always possible offroad) you get zero lag and the thing just keeps going, it's as good as petrol motor.

And the Nav's aren't geared high in first, first gear is actually very low, I reckon they chose a ratio that low to try and help get around the lag problem.

And, this isn't a Navara problem, it's a turbo charged motor problem. I think superchargers give you zero lag, so do petrol motors.

After coming from a modded D22 to the D40 i found the same problem, i was stalling it a lot and had to learn to give it a bit more of the mark, i did find that after i fitted the EGR mod it moves off a hell of a lot better and i found a lot of the lag has gone.:happy::happy:

And, this isn't a Navara problem, it's a turbo charged motor problem. I think superchargers give you zero lag, so do petrol motors.

+1. Turbochargers have to wait for some exhaust flow before they can spin up. Superchargers provide more air as the revs increase linearly. Petrol stinks, but because it's not dependent on something spinning up to a certain RPM before it works, it's virtually lag-less.

We get a little extra lag from the ballooning of our charge air hoses, and from the distance between turbo & intake manifold, plus there's the pressure losses across the intercooler and the car won't adjust the vanes of the turbo to bring boost on earlier (it could).

+1 On the EGR mod, totally changed the low rpm feeling of the engine. I believe this is how it was meant to be.

Latest posts

Back