oil catch can

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just to add a pic of what the intake looks like when the oil combines with dust and soot from EGR.
the butterfly is the swirl valve.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DIRTYINTAKE.jpg
    DIRTYINTAKE.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 955
Hi All picked up a colibra oil catch can today for $70 has anyone fitted a oil catch can to a 2009 2.5 str As I have just looked at drew mans photos and looked were he has mounted the can but on the 2009 there is no room in this spot as it has box with brake lines comming out of it. So i need help on where to mount the can. any idea's

thanks paul

Last edited:
That would be the ABS module.

Post up 2 pics, 1 of the can and 1 on the left side of the engine bay or you can check my members thread and see where mine is mounted.

Dave.

I was reading on another forum where some people are using an air compressor water trap as a catch can. As long as its not plastic and you check it often, it should work ok. And cheap too!

Alan

I was reading on another forum where some people are using an air compressor water trap as a catch can. As long as its not plastic and you check it often, it should work ok. And cheap too!

Alan

not always all that cheap, mainly because you need to use the big commercial sized ones. typical home use ones are way to small.
however some people did score some old ones that where being sold off dirt cheap. they work ok but had to change the filter in it as it clogged up rather quick.

Came across a site yesterday where some bloke used an aluminium water bottle for one. Reckon I've got a couple in the draw in the kitchen. Turn it upside down, and you've got an inbuilt drain - the pop top. Wonder how long that will hold up against the oil and vapours...

Last edited:
is this what makes the oil come down to the front of the turbo and leak everywhere or is that a different problem?

is this what makes the oil come down to the front of the turbo and leak everywhere .....
yes.
oil comes out the breather and comes out all the intake joins. oil comes out on the front of the turbo and out of the intake joins above the rocker cover.

thanks! sounds like i need one then
does it do harm to the turbo at all or just create a mess as i just had the turbo rebuilt along with the engine after the last one blew up and dumped everything into the intake

Must get off my arse and fit a can...

Dont like all that shit going through the intake.

thanks! sounds like i need one then
does it do harm to the turbo at all or just create a mess as i just had the turbo rebuilt along with the engine after the last one blew up and dumped everything into the intake

i doubt the oil would blow a turbo but what it can do is wear out the sharp edge of the turbo blades.
i used to see a puddle of oil just in front of the turbo, having liquid run down into the blades will certainly wear the edges out.

on a YD25 i would still haev a catch can. certainly anything with a MAF sensor. any oil mist in the intake pipes, after the engine shuts off it floats back up the intake (heat soak heats up the air and only way out is back through the air filter) and coats the MAF causing failures.

Hey guys, I got a catch can off a mate but it's a cylinder one, and has no lid or big access hole so getting a filter medium in there will be hard, was thinking of trying to make the inlet feed too about half way down the can and putting a bunch of marbles in it? Anyone got Any opinions on how stupid this sounds or if it'd work?

If I can't get a filter medium into it, is there any point putting it on? Or should i just wait and buy and different one?
Cheers

marbles, waste of time. an empty one i found collected very little and blew a lot straight through. you need some sort of filter inside it. the oil that comes out of the breather is very fine, you need a very fine filter to catch it. i would either make your own or buy something like provent.

This unit looks the goods but has anyone fitted it yet. I emailed them to ask what filter material was used and how the collected oil was emptied and 'Miranda' answered.

Hi
I really never open the filter before.

Exactly as your words.

to take the hoses off and drain it out through the connectors.

i sell a lot of oil catch tanks.
and every customer was satisfy.
you can also check my positive feedbacks.
Miranda

- carlab-design-tuning

Kinda makes me wonder. :dontknow:

Hi all

Is there any benefit in venting the 'can to return' line to atmosphere and then blanking off the flange where the return line would normally fit....or is it necessary to maintain the circuit?

cheers

Latest posts

Back