Oil catch can and egr

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noordam

Reaction score
Hi, I have put an oil catch can in my car, would I also need an EGR block? Or is that what the oil catch can does?

Also, do the Navara D40’s have a timing chain or belt? If so do they both need to be changed and checked or is it just the belt that needs to be?

Thanks in advance

EGR is a separate thing. Blocking it is actually illegal (in Australia, possibly elsewhere). EGR reduces combustion temps to reduce/prevent the formation of nitrogen oxides (which only form at high temps). Catch can just catches some of the oil vapour coming out of the crankcase breather (PCV, or Positive Crankcase Ventilation).

Navara D40's - the 4 cylinder diesel (it's actually called the YD25) has two timing chains, one that drives from the crankshaft to the fuel pump and vacuum pump and another that runs from the fuel pump's outer (and smaller) sprocket up to the camshafts. The harmonic balancer (4WD models) is gear driven off the crankshaft.

In my car - we somehow cracked the cylinder head and had to replace it (no, we didn't run out of coolant, and we didn't overheat). The mechanic that looked at the engine at 321,000km when this happened asked me if I'd had the chains replaced within the last 50,000km - because they, and the tensioners, all looked fairly new. I told him that he was the first to see the chains since the car was assembled.

The secret - most of the time - is servicing. I've never missed one. I've always used synthetic oils (my car has a DPF and needs ultra-low ash oil).

However, having a mechanic listen to the chains isn't a bad idea. He'll be able to hear if they're slapping (loose tensioners = bad for chains) or gliding smoothly. Otherwise, inspection requires removing the covers - water pump has to come off, so you're doing a coolant flush as well, and may as well give the radiator a really good look over while you're at it.

I am aware that blocking the EGR valve is a no no from a legal standpoint. From a engine longevity standpoint, is blocking off the EGR worthwhile? I wonder what percentage of people have done it? Of course I would always recommend keeping the car in its original stock condition as the engineers have designed all aspects of you car to perform at their best!

EGR inhibits combustion, so from that view alone, it probably contributes a minute amount to a reduction in stress during midrange operation. EGR is NOT active at idle, or at full throttle.

It does, combined with oil from the PCV, contribute to blocking up the intake manifold.

As for how many people have done it ... well, that's really hard to estimate. Being an illegal thing, how many people are going to admit to it? Not that it's easily visible, you'd be very hard pressed to see the blanking plate in mine.

I just passed a pink slip with two plates blocking the EGR. very visible. They don’t give a crap.

EGR inhibits combustion, so from that view alone, it probably contributes a minute amount to a reduction in stress during midrange operation. EGR is NOT active at idle, or at full throttle.

It does, combined with oil from the PCV, contribute to blocking up the intake manifold.

As for how many people have done it ... well, that's really hard to estimate. Being an illegal thing, how many people are going to admit to it? Not that it's easily visible, you'd be very hard pressed to see the blanking plate in mine.
I like that, how many people will admit to it? Well, at least one Old.Tony ! I think it will be something I am going to look into doing, and that will make two of us

Hi, I have put an oil catch can in my car, would I also need an EGR block? Or is that what the oil catch can does?

Also, do the Navara D40’s have a timing chain or belt? If so do they both need to be changed and checked or is it just the belt that needs to be?

Thanks in advance
yes get the egr blocked or disconnected also i would recommend that you get your manifold thken off and cleaned will make a HUGH difference.

I bought a D40 last month.
Within a fortnight I fitted a catch can and removed the EGR system. For me, it's not even a discussion.
Any modern turbo diesel should have a catch can. In fact, many other engines (diesel and petrol) benefit from them. Especially forced induction.

But I understand many people may be on the fence with the EGR. I get it.
IMO if you have a working catch can, then deleting the EGR is less critical because at least the gases should be pretty dry, so there shouldn't be much additional sludge in the intake.

But if you value better performance, reliability, simplicity, better fuel economy....and you detest poor design and idiotic regulations....you'll prolly end up removing or deleting the EGR. If you put aside the questionable benefit to our natural environment, there is no positive justification for sending exhaust gas back into a combustion chamber, in any engine. By that I mean it serves no other purpose....and it interferes with the "traditional" combustion process.
Again, just my opinion. Not looking to start 47 page forum argument.

Back