oil catch can

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew_man

Reaction score
bought an oil catch can from autobarn today was a drift performance brand for $104 with all pipes clamps ect and installed it but in my hast to buy it and put in on got one with no medium in it and was wondering can i just put some steel wool in it like a scalera pads stuffed in tight and if so do you need some sort of filter on the outlet or am i best to cut my losses and get a different brand that comes with it.

would like to know everyones opinions ??

regards
drew

:3gears:

You can try those S/S "steelo' dish scrubbing pads.
They breath easier and still catch the oil mist, and are compatible with aluminium.

very few brands come with filters.

you can use stainless scubbers (but not stainless wool) but the big problem i ran into was sealing it so the oil/gas doesn't take a shortcut around the edges. fitting a hose to the inlet so it goes halfway down the can and filling it with scrubbers is not a bad way of doing it.
i put a hose through the centre and fitted a breather filter inside the can. it works reasonably well.

do you pack them in there to the top like softly pack them to the top and just put one or two at the bottom ?

sick so tomorrow i will grab some and just stack them to the top and not stuff them in tight

How do you feel about taking some photo's of your install and posting them....?

Would be nice ....!!

hi, ihave a calibre catch can on my d22,i used a very fine stainless steel mesh used in the building industry called termimesh rolled up and folded to form a baffle in the can, works really well i cleaned it out a while back its amazing the amount of sludge and crap it stops getting to your intake.

did u fold the termi mesh so it was layred from top to bottom or did you wrap it around the inside of the can ??

hey drewman, i just rolled it vertical in the can heaps of times and then made a few seperate folds to go over the top,slipped it all back in the can and screwed the lid on and worked ok as a prototype,might try and refine it a bit one day,do have any builder mates that you can get you some.

yer mate i am sparky and me old boy is a builder so should be able to get some from somewhere if he dont have some lying around

no worries mate,the good thing about it its a high grade stainless because of the enviroment its used in so it can stand all sorts of shit, if your old man can get you some great because its frickin dear to buy.

well inside my catch can is 100mm high say i just cut a strip up about a metre long and rolled it up and put it in the can and then made a few bits that sit over the top of them and fold down the side a bit.

Latest posts

Back