Oil Separators and Catch Cans difference??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richNAV

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any difference between the Provent Oil Separators sold by Direction Plus and the Provent Catch Cans sold by Western Filters? There seems to be some difference in the pricing?

Also do these kits come with a filter element inside?

Ta,
Rich

Does anyone know of any difference between the Provent Oil Separators sold by Direction Plus and the Provent Catch Cans sold by Western Filters? There seems to be some difference in the pricing?

Also do these kits come with a filter element inside?

Ta,
Rich
Looks like they're the same product. Oil separator or catch can is a different name for the same thing, they separate and hold the oil from the crankcase gasses. Generally they are sold with a filter but it would be best to check that to make sure. You can get them a lot cheaper if you look around on fleabay. Also other items you'll need to fit, such as 16-25 mm reducers.

One of these, some reducers and some pipe from Bunnings or Pirtek is all you need. A mounting bracket is easy enough to make up, and will depend where you wish to fit it. A cheaper way to do it.

ps. Not sure if the outlet on tappet cover is 12 or 16mm (on zd30 anyway), the one on the intake appears 16mm though. Anyway, easy enough to sort out. I used 20mm pipe and 20-25mm reducers as I already had some bunnings 20mm pipe laying around. Was easy enough to make something to get pipes to fit over outlet/inlet then reducers at the catch can.

Awesome thanks @Horatius ...I managed to get a whole brand new kit for a Toyota Prado for 180 bucks, reason I asked if the Direction Plus kits were the real deal. So I got a Provent 200 Catch Can inc filter plus a load of reducers / hoses etc. I’ll open the box tomo and see what’s there and maybe a trip to Bunnings still as I’d prefer transparent hose to see the oil. Which hose did you buy from there buddy?

Last edited:
and maybe a trip to Bunnings still as I’d prefer transparent hose to see the oil.
You only need a transparent hose for the one that attaches to the bottom of the can. You'll also want to get a small tap to put on the bottom end of the hose so that you can easily drain it as necessary. You'll find those in the air tool section of the Bunnings tool shop.

Awesome thanks @Horatius ...I managed to get a whole brand new kit for a Toyota Prado for 180 bucks, reason I asked if the Direction Plus kits were the real deal. So I got a Provent 200 Catch Can inc filter plus a load of reducers / hoses etc. I’ll open the box tomo and see what’s there and maybe a trip to Bunnings still as I’d prefer transparent hose to see the oil. Which hose did you buy from there buddy?
That's a very good buy, paid that much for the provent on its own nearly 10 yrs ago.

I used this hose and it's been fine. Would have changed to proper heat/oil resistant hose only that Pirtek didn't have it, so I left this on. A bonus is that once installed the heat makes it set in place very rigid eventually, so no problems with kinks and so forth.

Latest posts

Back