New from the USA

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coop74

Reaction score
i am by nature a explorer. Be it by motorcycle, on foot or vehicle. I also like exploring ideas. My current truck, 2014 Nissan Frontier is your Navara. Yes there are some difference but close enough.

The reason I joined your forum however is in the US we dont have a many practical rigs as I have noticed in Australia and that is what I am wanting to build.

here is my start at this point...

IMG_20141021_093251.jpg

hopefully you guys can get me the rest of the way towards a real touring ride.

Welcome!!
You've come to the right place lots of helpful, friendly people on here that would be more than happy to help out! :)

welcome coop
enjoy your stay, better get you steering wheel fixed mate
its on the wrong side

welcome coop
enjoy your stay, better get you steering wheel fixed mate
its on the wrong side

you dont realize how much of an issue that really is... Thank god here in the US we also drive on the wrong side of the tract too... makes it seem like not as much of a problem. ;-)

Welcome mate. What have you got in mind to set her up for touring?

My end game is to add a in truck bed pop up camper. Currently i have a trailer (caravan) that i use that is a tiny toy hauler that my wife and I use for camping.

mjSfH0YBsTDgkLrzNpP5Detw71Rg0hGuN0tUG83w2Uc=w892-h556-no

it is very nice but is very low and is not what I want to take off the beaten path with. My wife however has suggested I put a lift kit on it. the only 4wd slang she knows...

In time i would like to have a good tourer that is capable of sleeping two adults and a big dog. Be that the in bed camper, or a capable caravan (the wife has vetoed the roof top tent idea.

In looking at your site there are just so many nice rigs to consider. In the US they tend to lean to extreme rock or mud trucks.

My end game is to add a in truck bed pop up camper. Currently i have a trailer (caravan) that i use that is a tiny toy hauler that my wife and I use for camping.

it is very nice but is very low and is not what I want to take off the beaten path with. My wife however has suggested I put a lift kit on it. the only 4wd slang she knows...

In time i would like to have a good tourer that is capable of sleeping two adults and a big dog. Be that the in bed camper, or a capable caravan (the wife has vetoed the roof top tent idea.

In looking at your site there are just so many nice rigs to consider. In the US they tend to lean to extreme rock or mud trucks.

Oh yeah nice.

Well there is a wealth of knowledge and plenty of helpful people about on the forum.

Lol yeah you guys build some awesome trucks. There are some pretty tough production line trucks that are marketed in the US that we don't see a whole lot of over here like the bigger Ford F350s and F450s, Dodge and Chev.

Lol yeah you guys build some awesome trucks. There are some pretty tough production line trucks that are marketed in the US that we don't see a whole lot of over here like the bigger Ford F350s and F450s, Dodge and Chev.

like these... love the tough trucks lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414544492.604291.jpg

From reading it appears your mildly lifted trucks might come from regulatory requirements.

Can you answer two questions for me. When they speak of or show people using radios in some of the videos is this what we call a CB radio or is it a what we call a Ham radio.

Also it would appear that a 32-33 inch tall tire is most common is this correct?

Ok really a third question, I am looking for a snorkel for my 2014 Frontier with the 4 liter gas engine. I understand this snorkel can be found as OEM equipment in Australia, does anyone have the part number. I am hoping i can get my local dealer to order one (as luck would have it the service mgr guy is a big off road fan).

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Big Coop

From reading it appears your mildly lifted trucks might come from regulatory requirements.

Can you answer two questions for me. When they speak of or show people using radios in some of the videos is this what we call a CB radio or is it a what we call a Ham radio.

Also it would appear that a 32-33 inch tall tire is most common is this correct?

Ok really a third question, I am looking for a snorkel for my 2014 Frontier with the 4 liter gas engine. I understand this snorkel can be found as OEM equipment in Australia, does anyone have the part number. I am hoping i can get my local dealer to order one (as luck would have it the service mgr guy is a big off road fan).

Big Coop

Hi Coop and welcome!

Your right, most lifts here do have regulatory requirements in mind. So most only 2 inch suspension and in most states 1 inch in larger diameter in tyres. Anything more requires an engineers certificate and sometimes a lane change test. This also doesn't require using after market UCA's. There expensive here. In fact most suspension parts are expensive.

The CB band here in Australia is mostly UHF, FM type transmission. About 477 Mhz. There is an 80ch allocation for the CB band. Hence the antennas can only be a 1meter long and have quite high gain. The old 27 Mhz is still legal but little used. Some Antennas you see will be high gain cell phone antenna's. It can be a very long way between some cells here. There is vast tracks of land that have no coverage what so ever and sat phone or HF radio the only way to go if you want to stay in touch.

As for the snorkel I don't know the part number but hopefully someone will.

Big Coop[/QUOTE]

hi coop and welcome!

Your right, most lifts here do have regulatory requirements in mind. So most only 2 inch suspension and in most states 1 inch in larger diameter in tyres. Anything more requires an engineers certificate and sometimes a lane change test. This also doesn't require using after market uca's. There expensive here. In fact most suspension parts are expensive.

The cb band here in australia is mostly uhf, fm type transmission. About 477 mhz. There is an 80ch allocation for the cb band. Hence the antennas can only be a 1meter long and have quite high gain. The old 27 mhz is still legal but little used. Some antennas you see will be high gain cell phone antenna's. It can be a very long way between some cells here. There is vast tracks of land that have no coverage what so ever and sat phone or hf radio the only way to go if you want to stay in touch.
I agree with tappet 100%...

As for the snorkel i don't know the part number but hopefully someone will.

Big coop
[/quote]

Big Coop

I never knew about a 4 litre gas engine. But on the plus side there are many fabricators that can possibly do a snorkel for you. I might be outta stainless steel though..

Welcome to the forum Coop. Earlier D40's here had a 4.0l in them but I'm not sure if it was in 2wd or 4wd. You may have to get a fabricator to make for you. With the suspension on your trailer, you can buy the independent suspension set up. Look on eBay Australia and have a look at
The independent set up. I'm sure someone over there manufactures it too. It's a great set up and I've just built a camping trailer with it on mine. It gives you heaps of clearance too as there isn't an axle to get in the way of
Things

Back