intake noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok getting sick of posting !!!!

(Just want problem fixed).

Today I have resealed the airbox seal, replaced the hose clamps and about to give up.........

I have noticed that although my car has a loud whistle it seems to go ALOT better and doesn't blown as much smoke as it previously did (before the new whistle).
I am concerned that it is running two lean that is my only issue.

Is there a restrictor that could have come loose or moved to create a whistle and breath better ??

can't run a diesel too lean, not enough fuel just reduces power. on the other hand you can run too rich which gives lots of power but will end up melting pistons. don't suppose you can get it run up on a dyno and have a poke around the engine bay while it's under some load? only other thing i can think of is a leaking gasket somewhere, but it should run worse if it has a boost leak...

any of you guys with whistling issues done any egr mods or anything?

Just concerned it runs Fansatic at the moment rev's up so much faster !!!

Would pluging the car into the Nissan computer give me any more information ??

i doubt it. you could try, but there's not a lot of sensors that would pick up anything like that. i don't suppose you could get a sound recording of the noise?

whats happened to bluey????didnt you start this thread??????? have you been able to sort your problem out?
just wanted to know how you went because your thread seems to of been hijacked by micksnavara. bahaha

i doubt it. you could try, but there's not a lot of sensors that would pick up anything like that. i don't suppose you could get a sound recording of the noise?

Not sure if I it would be possible to record, MMMMM can only have a crack at recording it. Will try to record tomorrow.

There is a rubber pipe inside the front guard that the plastic liner covers. The hose may have come loose? I'm not 100% certain but some of the Safari snorkels have a small extension riveted on to the airbox's inlet, these are normally well sealed with silastic but if there was a leak it might whistle.

Id guess its making more boost that stock , hense the noise and extra power.
Check all vacum hoses and turbo boost controller or actualtor, i am not familiar with a d22 engine but it will have vacume hoses, a boost controller and the turbo actuator spring on the turbo, looks like a round shiny sorta yellow thing with a vacum hose going to it.

I did the egr and exhaust at roughly the same time and noticed the boost, lack of smoke and also the whistle, mostly low gears from 1400-2000rpm in both directions (ie accelerating and decelerating, not fwd and back!!) thought initially it was whistling from the dump pipe gasket but all bolts are done up well, no other apparent loose bolts around the turbo. Was kinda coming round to thinking it was normal, not got to the bottom of it yet but prob get the turbo looked at soon just to make sure, it has 180k on the clock and now finally the turbo is able to Work properly I would like to know it's in good nick. They talk about the whistle after the exhaust, snorkel and egr mod on the patrol websites as tho there is nothing to be too concerned about

I did the egr and exhaust at roughly the same time and noticed the boost, lack of smoke and also the whistle, mostly low gears from 1400-2000rpm in both directions (ie accelerating and decelerating, not fwd and back!!) thought initially it was whistling from the dump pipe gasket but all bolts are done up well, no other apparent loose bolts around the turbo. Was kinda coming round to thinking it was normal, not got to the bottom of it yet but prob get the turbo looked at soon just to make sure, it has 180k on the clock and now finally the turbo is able to Work properly I would like to know it's in good nick. They talk about the whistle after the exhaust, snorkel and egr mod on the patrol websites as tho there is nothing to be too concerned about

Quick update
Standard Exhaust nissan snorkel steinberner module and a whistle. Oh and only done 97000klm's

Last edited:
Whats to say it is now right and sounds like the rest of of our Nav's and had a blocked Cat before.

Hey Dave,
I get what you are saying !
BUT it sounds like a vacum type of leak ? That only apears at 2400 -3500 rpm.
Tryed to record the sound on my iphone seems it is to hard to hear.

So you have checked the intake hoses ?

If you were closer Id have a look.

Last Sunday,
I replaced the clamps on the turbo inlet and the airbox outlet .

Tightend the bolts on the exhaust side of the turbo.
checked the inlet and exhaust manifold for leaks. Tightned up all the nissan snorkel joins.
And then in frustration disconnected the battery for an hour to reboot the ECU.

Still not fixed !!!!

My god it goes heaps better though ! (spools up faster ) and minimal smoke !
Any other sugestions Dave ! HELP !!!!

have you done the egr mod, as soon as i did mine your exact symptons appeared on my nav and is not detrimental, i got turbo whistle, increased power and no diesel smoke and runs a heap quieter.

Last Sunday,
I replaced the clamps on the turbo inlet and the airbox outlet .

Tightend the bolts on the exhaust side of the turbo.
checked the inlet and exhaust manifold for leaks. Tightned up all the nissan snorkel joins.
And then in frustration disconnected the battery for an hour to reboot the ECU.

Still not fixed !!!!

My god it goes heaps better though ! (spools up faster ) and minimal smoke !
Any other sugestions Dave ! HELP !!!!

Probably blowing less smoke and going better due to the ECU reset.

Maybe its normal and sounds like the rest of our Navara's now.

Might have had a blocked Cat before.

Went to a deisel Mechanic today.

He is in agreeance that there is a extra whistle !
As he was to busy today to look at it properly asked me to reschedule it next week.

So whe I got home for the mechanic, I once agian went over and tightened all I could see.

May have made a slight difference, as it is more evident after it is at running temp.

Yet to get out much today.

Will advise tomorrow.

I am also getting this noise.. kind of a humming wining noise at around 2,000rpm only when under load. It sounds different to normal as I rev it out too.

I have a 2008 2.5L D22
the sound just started to happen on the way home from my last 4x4 trip.

I had some dried up what was muddy water in my air filter when I got home. im running a TJM snorkel so no idea where it got in. Il pull it down this weekend and check it out to see where it got in so i can seal it up and will put in a new air filter.

did you ever over come your noise proplem? and why would this noise start all of a sudden. I mean if the leak was already there why am i only hearing it now..

Latest posts

Back