intake noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1566

Reaction score
had a little trouble with air intake ,
d22 3ltr nissan snorkel standard set up and air filter but its seems to whine like a intake noise from inside engine bay, mechanic and myself can find any cracks in any of the pipes or hoses and nothing loose,
has anyone else come across something similar ..?????

yeah turbo is good no problems there i did clean out filter last time i herd the noise wiped it all down put back together and thort it was fixed but have a feelin it may have just quietened , how come u mentioned the turbo?

Well Id be checking the turbo out for shaft play.

Mine is fine, but I have a turbo timer.

Not being intercooled Id be check it out quick.

had a little trouble with air intake ,
d22 3ltr nissan snorkel standard set up and air filter but its seems to whine like a intake noise from inside engine bay, mechanic and myself can find any cracks in any of the pipes or hoses and nothing loose,
has anyone else come across something similar ..?????

is the noise like an air leak?
or is it like a screech sort of like the sound of a fan belt squeal?
when the turbo starts to go they sometimes screech under acceleration

no its not a screech sound more of air leak or in take sound mostly herd in lower gears and from take off, in say 4 th and 5th not really herd

no its not a screech sound more of air leak or in take sound mostly herd in lower gears and from take off, in say 4 th and 5th not really herd

well you have stumped me with it not doing it in 4th or 5th, was thinking you were like a few others on here including myself that have had the problem of loose or missing bolts at the back of the turbo that cause air to leak. i had a highly recommended diesel workshop look at mine and they didnt pick up on it as they are quite small and the bottom 2 are almost impossible to see.
i would check them anyway but i am thinking this is probably not the problem.
hope you get it sorted. Nath

Air intake whistle

Yes on Saturday,

The intake whistle started for my navara as well.

after a quick look I had a loose intake pipe from the air box to the turbo.
MMMM not that !!!!

well you have stumped me with it not doing it in 4th or 5th, was thinking you were like a few others on here including myself that have had the problem of loose or missing bolts at the back of the turbo that cause air to leak. i had a highly recommended diesel workshop look at mine and they didnt pick up on it as they are quite small and the bottom 2 are almost impossible to see.
i would check them anyway but i am thinking this is probably not the problem.
hope you get it sorted. Nath

Thanks for this post as this lead me in the right direction. I have just check my turbo bolts and surprise they were loose !! (yet to drive it ) Will confirm this afternoon if the problem is fixed !!

PS only done 87000 klms

Last edited:
Turbo bolts loose... Geez think ill be checking mine all out on the weekend!

I had an extensive whistling noise appear, little bit of power loss and high pitched air sound... Thought it was a boost leak and checked all intercooler pipes etc... Turned out my snorkel connection had come loose under my guard...

Easy fix...

Turbo bolts loose... Geez think ill be checking mine all out on the weekend!

I had an extensive whistling noise appear, little bit of power loss and high pitched air sound... Thought it was a boost leak and checked all intercooler pipes etc... Turned out my snorkel connection had come loose under my guard...

Easy fix...

Will have a look as mine still whistles on mid to full boost !!
"snorkel connection had come loose" Could be my problem. My truck goes even better / breaths better with the whistle. MMMM More posts shortly !!!

Mine makes the whistle sound in boost when its cold. Try not bringing it into boost before its warmed right up. But yeah, if i have to rev it when its cold, i get the whistle sound, warmed up i don't hear stuff all when putting the foot down.

Guessing where ever the sound comes from is closing up once the motor is warm due to expansion.

Checked the screws on the turbo, they seem fine, nipped the hoses up abit tighter tonight so will see how that goes. Hoses look in good nick still though.

Maybe its normal to get more induction noise when the motor is cold, stuffed if i know. Plan on doing the egr mod in the coming months so will check/replace a few gaskets when i do that.

Pete

MMMM Still looking

Tightened snokel hoses Check
Tightened the small bolts on exhaust side of turbo Check
Next thing is,
I noticed the air box doesn't seal 100 percent. I swap the bottom clip with a top clip, this seems to chosed the gap up a little .

Will update tomorrow.

OK latest detail,

Have now 2 new clamps on air pipe to turbo inlet.
tightend all the others. Still have a whistle noise MMM

Currently reseting the computer to see if it is just a turbo whistle as I do have a Steinberner power chip installed.

MMMM still has the noise GRRRRR.
Anymore suggestions.

This might sound silly, but have you checked the gasket around the lid on the airbox? I could feel air at idle pulsing out of mine, and on inspection a part of the gasket was gone, and the rest hard and brittle. I replaced the gasket with some new rubber and now it is air (and water) tight.
Mine whistled... but I am not sure if it was the blanking plate on the egr or the airbox leak as I fixed them both at the same time.
My truck is an '01, with 160K on it.
no more whistles...

hope this helps.

Ok getting sick of posting !!!!

(Just want problem fixed).

Today I have resealed the airbox seal, replaced the hose clamps and about to give up.........

I have noticed that although my car has a loud whistle it seems to go ALOT better and doesn't blown as much smoke as it previously did (before the new whistle).
I am concerned that it is running two lean that is my only issue.

Is there a restrictor that could have come loose or moved to create a whistle and breath better ??

Latest posts

Back