Help me spend my money!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleator

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Basically I've figured that I want to keep this ute for quite some time because it is a trusty little mountain goat. So basically I want to spend about $10,000 on doing the motor up etc. Im thinking Im going to spend majority of it on motor as ive done most of the other mods that I want on it.

I have a single cab 2006 DX 3.0Di with ally tray. I've done a few small things to make it better, I'll make a list of what I've done to it already so we know what we are working with.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Already Have:

-2" EFS Lift suspension Kit
-ChipIt Diesel Chip
-3" Mandrel Bent Exhaust from Turbo back. Straight pipe.
-80 Series Airbox
-EGR Mod
-LED Tail Lights Custom made
-Mounted Toolbox
-EGR Gauge
-Boost Gauge
-2 X 6" Type R's with a full depth 10" sub behind passenger seat.
-HID Headlights

So I'm thinking turbo, Injectors, maybe a pump check and tune, get manifold cleaned and polished after all that EGR goo has stuck to it. Maybe see if I can get some new pistons and get the motor rebuilt?? It has 115,000 KM's on it so I'm gonna say the motor is in pretty good condition.

It can normally blow away SV6's ATM haha, but I wanna be at the stage of monster motor, also want to make it reliable though, so if that involves changing pistons and rings then so be it.

Anyone experienced with doing up performance diesels and what my best approach would be?

Northside has built some powerful TD42's.

Highest HP ZD30 I know of is a CRD ZD30 making 200hp at the rear treads in a GU.

Good luck dude, keep us updated.

Keen to see how you go.

nice to see another single cab.

engine mods.....
intercooler
dual fuel filter and pusher pump
turbo upgrade
water/methanol injection system and as you have room under the deck for some big tanks you could use it a lot ;) it also will clean out intake etc.
wind up the fuel !

Sorry guys forgot to introduce myself as well!!

My names Ben! I'm 20, almost 4th Year Sparky apprentice. Live in Brissy.

So was just wondering even if anyone else had any experience in working any other kind of performance diesels? Just want to get a rough idea of what should be put in to support what.

Okay so to start this afternoon I went out and got a lifter pump this is the shit I bought... Carter P4600HP and all necessary fittings.

I read that this takes alot of strain off the lifter pump in the VP44 and that makes it more responsive etc so I thought why not.

Just wondering where to mount it... What do you guys recommend, In the photo where ive marked is where I want to put it, its on a Right angle bracket.

The instructions for the pump say to not mount it more than 24 inches above the top of the fuel tank... So I'd say where I want to mount it is okay then?

Well I Installed the lift pump today..

Heres a photo of the finished project.

This is a highly recommended upgrade, seriously made my engine run so much more smoother. Doesn't shake as much.

It feels like its added a fair donk of low down torque, was hard to tell though cause it was raining and that means 0 traction for me.

Revs out quicker.

Doesn't cost much to do..

If people are interested I'll write a Lift pump install tutorial with lots of pics that I have taken and make it simplified. Wiring was an absolute breeze

Nice work dude. What did the setup cost? I'm wondering whether the reason I'm getting poor economy is my fuel pump is trying to push fuel through 2 filters? I do have the yd25 motor so I think it may just be the injectors need a relearn.

Rusty

Nice work dude. What did the setup cost? I'm wondering whether the reason I'm getting poor economy is my fuel pump is trying to push fuel through 2 filters? I do have the yd25 motor so I think it may just be the injectors need a relearn.

Rusty

Hey mate.
If you have dual filters I would recommend a lifter pump upgrade, its probably not getting enough fuel pressure so its retarding timing and injecting more fuel to compensate, hence higher EGT's. If I were you I would investigate a lift pump install on the YD25 though, you would need to take into account intake pressure capabilities etc, because afterall it is a common rail and they are a very finicky setup. Do your research specifically for your motor. You don't want to be spending money on something that may damage your car! Good Luck!!

Setup all up cost me a touch under 200. So cheap really, especially for the peace of mind it gives you.

I did a fair bit of research on this before I rushed out and did it, even though it happened in a space of like 2 days.

From what I found for my ZD30 Engine. The VP44 Injector pump which is in the year range 2002-2006 (Only some 2002's need to check to verify) ZD30 Navaras, has no lift pump in it.

Every american diesel I have found that runs a VP44 just slightly different heads on it from what I understand, which is some Cummins (5.7L from memory) and Dodge Ram diesels that are running the exact same VP44 all have a lift pump.

The VP44 has an inbuilt lift pump but what I read on the Bosch website states that what causes this whole injector pump to become a common fail is that because the lift pump starts getting tired in the diaphragm because its not really designed to lift fuel from a tank so far away. This diaphragm then breaks and it causes a piston to rattle and eat away at the pump body. Meaning you have to replace it, not rebuild it = more $$$

(I was pretty hammered at the time so thats the best details I can remember haha)

I'm going to start writing a tutorial on how to do it, with wiring diagrams to make it easy in a couple hours. Just gotta go take some pictures outside.

theres a good write up on patrol4x4.

one thing you need to watch on the ZD30's is the spill line or injector return line. it connects to the inlet side of the IP. now one problem these engines get is fuel leaking out of the connections under the rocker cover, the engine doesn't last long with diesel in the engine oil.
normally the line would be under slight vacuum caused by the IP sucking fuel in.
the fix is to route the spill line to the outlet side of the IP or if your really keen is to route it all the way back to the inlet of your lift pump.

Do you reckon I could get a bit more information Tweak'e ?? Last thing I want is diesel in the oil when I added the lift pump for reliability of the IP, that way I can added it to the write up as well.. Helps everyone

Last edited:
Keep the info coming mate.

Ill Pm Northside to throw up some info.

If you wouldn't mind Dave that would be great!

If you want to spend some more money Benny I can help you with a set of sliders.

Oh yeah I think I've heard Bryce mention them, he has them on his nav, Made for the single cab scotty?? Price and anymore info please?

The light pump is a 6psi Pump, lowest pressure I could get @ 100gph.

Hmm I want to run big power but also reliably...

A water to air I reckon sounds good, been researching them quite alot.

I've been looking at turbos, I want boost to come on pretty quick so I don't want too big of a turbo. Just played around with a turbo calculator last night and reckoned for the quick boost that I want they recommended a GT25 300hp. Would the GT26 with 60 compressor be too big? I want the boost to come on quicker than the stock Hitachi.

Alright so do you do this kind of work at Northside 4X4? What do you reckon it would set me back for a Water to air intercooler system, Turbo upgrade and the programmable diesel and tune?

What pressure rating is that lift pump also? Should have no more than 4psi blowing into the injector pump or it will mess with the timing advance mechanism.
afaik i thinks its 15psi before the pressure starts to interfere with timing as thats the internal pressure the IP lift pump is set to.

Do you reckon I could get a bit more information Tweak'e ?? Last thing I want is diesel in the oil when I added the lift pump for reliability of the IP, that way I can added it to the write up as well.. Helps everyone

at the moment you spill line is getting the electric lift pump fuel pressure. the injector spill line seals are a known problem and are known to leak. being under pressure any leak will mean fuel in oil.

just need to reroute it so it feeds into the pump return line back to the tank or connect on the tank to lift pump line before the lift pump.

Latest posts

Back