EGR Exhaust Sensor Problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were a batch of D40s with dodgy EGR valves, including the V6s.

Blocking the EGR might be illegal but it stops the combustion process from being dampened, allowing the full power of the engine to be developed (less waste). The newer models had sensors to detect flow through the EGR and would trip on that - if yours DOES trigger a warning light after blocking the EGR, drill a 4-6mm hole in the middle of the blank plate.

Flamin' heck, all these fancy new fangled electrickery parts going kaput. Think I might stick to my stone age 2008 model :)

5 years old in August, only 87 thou on the clock, and still humming along nice (fingers crossed).

Anyone aware of a fine that we could be up for for "tampering with emissions control" a customer of mine (also a mechanic told me vic roads could fine us up to something stupid like 10 grand!!!! Mind you, what vic roads is gonna look for a tiny little gasket that looks normal an says your blocking the egr, that's illegal.

It's just a crazy amount of money!!

Removing the EGR encourages the formation of NOx molecules - supposedly bad for the environment - which are actually responsible for the regrowth of hair in blonde airline hostesses making them less attractive. It's one of two places you don't want a GT-Stripe. The other place ... well, let's just say it's not a good idea to fart when you've eaten too many prunes.

Just to clarify, there is no such thing as an EGR sensor on the YD25 engine. the fault you have been referring to is EGT sensor (exhaust gas temp). it is fitted to the back of the exhaust manifold where the turbocharger bolts on and the wiring harness runs up to a bracket and multiplug at the back of the engine cover. These sensors are commonly failing and there is a countermeasure part replacing the failed sensors. P/N ends in 'B'. They are not a 'one use' sensor but are commonly damaged when removed because they seize into the manifold. Blanking EGR will have no effect on this sensor at all!

Just to clarify, there is no such thing as an EGR sensor on the YD25 engine. the fault you have been referring to is EGT sensor (exhaust gas temp). it is fitted to the back of the exhaust manifold where the turbocharger bolts on and the wiring harness runs up to a bracket and multiplug at the back of the engine cover. These sensors are commonly failing and there is a countermeasure part replacing the failed sensors. P/N ends in 'B'. They are not a 'one use' sensor but are commonly damaged when removed because they seize into the manifold. Blanking EGR will have no effect on this sensor at all!

We've had a number of people that fitted blanking plates to the EGR system, had the CEL come on, then after drilling a small (4mm or so) hole in the middle of the plate, the CEL went away. Explanation was a flow sensor (not an EGR sensor, just something that checks for flow) in the EGR valve to ensure that the EGR is actually working.

We know this isn't the case with all vehicles, but from memory the D40s from late 2010 through to mid 2012 at least had this issue. In the later models the only EGR issue was the V9X fault which we thought was just a faulty valve but as you've described elsewhere, there was a software error.

Can you confirm that the guys who have had to drill holes in their blanking plates to prevent the CEL from appearing were mistaken, and that the error must have come from elsewhere, or is there a flow sensor in SOME of the valves (not an EGR sensor, but a FLOW sensor) ?

I have only really had experience in blanking EGR valves short term for test purposes. What fault code has been causing MIL on vehicles with blanked EGR? V9X EGR valves are relatively common but in most cases the root cause for the fault code (p0488 from memory) was voltage drop across the valve when cleaning cycle was carried out (ign off/on) There is an ECM update to action this (which also allows the service indicator to be reduced to 10000k).
Saying this, valves requiring replacement after the patch are still relatively common.

Can you confirm that the guys who have had to drill holes in their blanking plates to prevent the CEL from appearing were mistaken, and that the error must have come from elsewhere, or is there a flow sensor in SOME of the valves (not an EGR sensor, but a FLOW sensor) ?

i've yet to hear of an engine with a flow meter in the exhaust/egr side. for fairly obviously reasons as exhaust temp would cook the hell out of any sensor.
a lot of engines use an egr valve position sensor and use the maf to determine egr flow.
when egr flows there is a drop in air flow through the maf. ecu is simply looking for that drop in airflow. which is why the hole in the plate works. there is still some egr flow which causes a drop in airflow.

what he said^^:) The only sensor present is a EGR valve position sensor. EGR flow is computed by the ECM using MAF output. This will typically give P0401 if no drop in airflow (blanked EGR) is detected. This is only a feature on the YD type 2 onwards.

G'day all
Received a recall from Nissan a few weeks ago to replace faulty EGR sensor on my 2013 Navara D40. The notice advised to get it done at the next service (10k)
Went to Sydney last weekend to pick up a caravan (1800kg poptop)
On the way out of Sydney heading south on M31 sitting on 110 doing it easy, overtook a semi and pulled back over to clear the RH lane just hitting a rise when it went into limp mode without warning, completely lost power, good thing I was well past the semi and the RH lane was empty.......
If it had happened 10 seconds earlier I might have had a semi ram the arse of the van, and it wouldn't have been his fault, or mine
Begs the question, if Nissan was aware of the problem surely they must also have been aware of the potential consequence, especially seeing that this forum has revealed it to be an ongoing problem for a few years
Are they going to let it go on until they have a serious accident, or worse a fatality? not good enough Nissan!!!
Cheers
John
2013 Navara D40

Bought my D40 in June this year and got a recall notice to change the sensor in about July, they did not have one in stock so they borrowed one from a car on the showroom floor. Never got to see which one it was or anything but have had no problems.
If you have not had a recall notice yet I would be asking about it in case you are affected, from memory mine has a build date of April or maybe March

Last edited:
I have 2013 D40 and they informed me on the 1000K service the sensor needed replacing but had none in stock. 3 weeks later i'm still waiting. Supposed to be doing a 1000k trip next weekend. Very concerned the Nav will go into limp mode.

....rightfully so, Nissan replaced the EGR sensor on our Nav yesterday at 10k service, missus asked to speak to the service manager and expressed our concern (in no uncertain manner knowing her)
Interestingly when she got to the dealership to drop off the car the service guy told her they only had one sensor in stock and that he wasn't sure if it was the right one, turns out it was so they replaced it.
Given that his has been an ongoing problem they should have stack of them on the shelf at all times
The other issue that needs to be resolved is the limp mode, it should NEVER EVER cut power without notice, IMHO that is more of a problem than the sensor itself, better to have some engine damage than get rammed up the arse by someone, or even worse losing power during an overtaking manoeuvre on a two way road, makes the skin crawl.... There are so many other ways they could program it.:pissedoff:
I am going to take this further
Cheers
John

navara d40 temp dramas

hey guys

new to the page but needing to know is there a way of bridging the egt sensor to stop limp mode on my 2012 d40 is playing up and I am moving to Armidale on Monday took it to Nissan today they said there is a recall fro this part but they don't stock it surprisingly!!!!! it is an 8 hour drive and I don't want to stop every 1 km and disconnect my battery to reset an make it go a bit longer if anyone knows or had try it please let me know asap!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers guys[email protected]

hey guys

new to the page but needing to know is there a way of bridging the egt sensor to stop limp mode on my 2012 d40 is playing up and I am moving to Armidale on Monday took it to Nissan today they said there is a recall fro this part but they don't stock it surprisingly!!!!! it is an 8 hour drive and I don't want to stop every 1 km and disconnect my battery to reset an make it go a bit longer if anyone knows or had try it please let me know asap!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers guys[email protected]
Is it a 2 wire sensor or a 3?...its quite possible its just a k type thermocouple but there are a few others..

Is it a 2 wire sensor or a 3?...its quite possible its just a k type thermocouple but there are a few others..

Im not sure im going to have a look today im not quite sure where the sensor is positioned on the engine im guessing it will be in the exhaust manifold somewhere..

Latest posts

Back