Cam Sensor fault AFTER just doing timing chain upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustys26

Reaction score
Howdy all,
I've had my 2013 D22 go through a timing chain change in 2021....then just last month had the issue again, so went for the upgrade to double row kit.

Then was just driving on highway yesterday and fully lost power at 100km/h. Pulled over to road and started it back up and was in 'limp mode' all the way home. Now I've done an ECU reset to check the codes and I have a p0340 (i.e. Cam Shaft Position Sensor [Phase]) fault. Also struggling to start up sometimes. This is similar to the symptoms before the timing chain upgrade that I just did FIVE WEEKS AGO!!!!! (Though I'm not sure if I was getting the p0340 code that time or not)

Please tell me this is just a problem with the sensor itself.....if I need a timing chain again (2nd time in two months, 3rd time in two years!), then I'm just going to push this thing into the river.

Appreciate any insight!
Cheers

I really don't think timing chains are that fragile. If they were installed correctly (and the tensioners are either new or thoroughly serviced, and oil galleys are clean - a good engine flush each oil change or so helps) then there's no reason to suspect the chains. You should be able to hear them anyway, if they're loose.

Check the sensor's wiring and also check the negative battery terminal plus its connection to the engine block.

I really don't think timing chains are that fragile. If they were installed correctly (and the tensioners are either new or thoroughly serviced, and oil galleys are clean - a good engine flush each oil change or so helps) then there's no reason to suspect the chains. You should be able to hear them anyway, if they're loose.

Check the sensor's wiring and also check the negative battery terminal plus its connection to the engine block.
Thanks mate, yeah I wouldn't expect that either...but it has 100% gone out on me twice and showing similar symptoms.

Negative terminal is good, and sensor's wiring *looks* okay. Just dropped it off at the place that just recently upgraded the timing kit to double row. Here's hoping that it is something simple. Cheers

FYI, just needed a new cam sensor. All good now, cheers. Was just not feeling happy after having dropped several thousand on the timing chain upgrade to get the same symptoms a few weeks later! What a relief.....

Latest posts

Back