V6 outlaw EGR faults and limp mode

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harryk15

Reaction score
Hi thanks for looking at my post.
I have a v6 outlaw 2010 176 k miles
It is constantly going into limp mode soon after setting off but just before it does I normally get belching black smoke under any sort of load which only clears if you kick it down a gear.

The engine management light is on.

We have a relatively basic ecu reader which is saying EGR cooler failure.

I had the EGR blanked a few years back so is there anything else EGR related that could still be giving me problems. I’m willing to concede that the chap who blanked it for me won’t of mapped anything out of the system nor will he have gone to any great lengths to do anything about the cooler so instinct tells me there probably is something but I don’t know what.

I don’t think it can be anything DPF related as that’s all long gone as well 😆

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
You have a 2010 with a V6 - is it a diesel? Australia didn't get the V6 diesel until 2011.

Usually when we see odd error codes it's a result of a poor electrical connection (often the battery terminal itself, but sometimes the fusible links or the connectors to the sensors).

However, because yours is likely European and had to conform to different emission standards at the time, yours might have an EGR flow sensor in it and that's what's triggering the error.

Let's start with this: you tell us what exact engine you've got, and throw a good injector cleaner in the tank. With the V9X I don't recommend doing a diesel purge because they're so finicky to bleed the fuel system, so something like Liqui Moly Fuel System Treatment will do. You can put it in on a tank that's not full, it will make it more concentrated but I'm not sure if it will improve the effectiveness.

Latest posts

Back