Economy & Cruise Control

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh9359

Reaction score
Gday,went on a shooting trip around NSW over the past 4 days.Used 3 tanks of fuel,been getting average of 740klms per tank average[780 best to 720 lowest]but using cc was dropping down to 620 at best for first 2 tanks.Due to the roos on road on third tank didn't use cc,noticed straightaway better fuel econ got 100 ks to full mark instead of 60 with cc,any idea why????Hugh

This is common mate when you use your c/c it is maintaining say 100kph the throttle is working to keep it there so jerky on and off acceleration.When you are driving without it you may drop and regain speed over hills without working the motor more ie you aren't putting your foot down as hard as the c/c would make sense?.

The day we can get CC that can see ahead and preempt the road as even the most unaware driver can is the day we start seeing improvements in CC economy. Until then we just have to accept the fact that George is a stupid driver.

Hills, rises, dips, speed humps it makes little difference George is made to maintain a speed at all costs with little or no consideration for fuel usage.

It's not really a mystery.

Where a driver might see his speed dropping a few kilometers and gently ease the throttle down further to get back to the desired speed George is programmed to not let the speed drop below a certain speed then get back to the set speed as quickly as possible.

Even of a flat road George fluctuates as much if not more than a human driver because he can't see what is ahead and all it takes is for George to creep 1k over the set speed and his reaction is to slow down, by the time he's slowed down he's dropped 2 or 3 ks so he speeds up, rinse and repeat, even a bad driver is not that bad.

The extreme example of how inept George is is shown by having the speed set at 100kph and hitting resume whilst at 75kph, George's response is to pick up revs get to speed where as most human drivers will feed the throttle gradually rather than planting the boot and waiting for the engine to leap out from under the bonnet.

Another way to see how inept George is is to look at the fuel usage on something like a scangauge, or other such device, fuel usage with a human driver fluctuates enough but George who's only focus is the set speed will always be worse. Monitor the difference between the two for 5 minutes and it doesn't take much to realise why over a long distance George doesn't return great figures.

That's what i was trying to explain to hugh thanks for wording it so it could be understood better Krafty my te 20 fergy i mean d22 doesn't have c/c but when i drive the wifes dualis if i use it fuel goes from 5.6 per 100 to near 7 we just don't use it.
John

George has his limitations but he also has his uses. On long drives you either wear the disadvantage of few extra LPH and a more relaxed drive or you drive it yourself and save the fuel. Anywhere there is hills, even small ones but especially consecutive ones there is no argument unless you really want to be a lazy driver and ignore the fuel usage.

The worst ones are where you crest the hill set at 100kph descend into the dip and George backs off as you get to the bottom to maintain the 100kph and because he's backed off the second you start rising up the other side he's got to plant the boot and kick 1000 revs into the engine to keep the 100kph. Have several hills like that in short succession and you may as well punch a hole in the fuel tank because you'll loose less fuel out of it.

I wasn't disagreeing,just pointing out that part of world is flat as a tack,i notice my George when greeted with hill & dale isn't that good at keeping a speed particulary at 100k,can go up to 108 & down to 95,not the +=3ks advertised.Hugh

Mine will definitely drop 5kph on some hills, not sure it raises as much as 8kph though, I'll have to check it next time I use it.

Latest posts

Back