Concerning economy!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
econ

I have found my econ has improved a bit with canopy on[ironman]got 770klm last tank till fuel light[65L].Worst so far 725klms with only 3000ks since new,also has 2" lift.Hugh

Since seeing this thread I thought I would actually work mine out for comparison. Mine is also 2012 and is just about to click over 40000. My last fill was 504.1 km travelled and it took 61.59l to fill which comes in at 12.2L/100. That was just below the quarter line, no fuel light yet.

My ute has steel bullbar, winch, 2 inch lift running 265/75 km2's on steel rims. On top of that it lugged my chippy trailer for the whole tank which is about 700kg, and a shit load of drag. It was probably 250-300k's of highway driving at 110km/hr. I drop back to 4th on the highway when i get to hills when towing to try and save 5th gear a bit, so revs will hold 3000rpm or more for the length of the hill.

Comparing it to mine yours is probably a touch high but there is so many variables. Ill keep a record for the next few tanks and average them out for a better idea. Hope it helps

Cheers
-Tyler

G'day

That's interesting tyler cause I've just done another tank today. Filled up 62.64 litres for 512 Kay's for 12.23 litres per hundred.

The difference, I've only got about 200 kgs of weight in the back. Been sitting on 110 for this tank since Wednesday.

If ya can Tyler do a tank without ya tool trailer, b interesting to see the difference.

Cheers

G'day

That's interesting tyler cause I've just done another tank today. Filled up 62.64 litres for 512 Kay's for 12.23 litres per hundred.

The difference, I've only got about 200 kgs of weight in the back. Been sitting on 110 for this tank since Wednesday.

If ya can Tyler do a tank without ya tool trailer, b interesting to see the difference.

Cheers

is that 110 true speed or display speed??

Just to keep a log going, I filled up again tonight. Tank was Down to between half and a quarter ish. The filll was 50.12l for 416.2km so a total of 12.04l/100km so a little improvement. Same driving conditions as the previous. I'm going to drop the highway speed a bit this next tank and see how it effects the numbers.

I don't often get to do many k's without the trailer but if I can get a couple of hundred k's on the weekend ill fill before and after to get a bit of an idea.

-Tyler

I used to average 12.4 but since fitting free wheel hubs I'm back to about 10.5.

Remember too that they are not very aerodynamic, especially once you add Bullbar, roof racks, big spotties etc.

G'day

Well ute went to Nissan yesterday for a service.

I asked about the economy and was told there's nothing that can be done without keeping fuel receipts and writing the Kay's on each one for a month. I must fill up on the same bowser and try to do it on the same time each day I need fuel. Then they can make a claim to Nissan.

So I'm a bit annoyed really.

Maybe blocking the egr will help. They also told me that the black smoke it blows is nothing to worry about.

Cheers

lol, good luck with nissan Pane.
I save at least 1L/100km by dropping from 105 down to 100km/hr on the freeway, and probably 0.5L/100km between 105 and 110km. I drive 25km each way to work, 95% on the freeway with no load and get 10L/100km if i'm sitting around 100km/hr and bout 11.5L/100km when on 110km/hr. I'm running 32's and it doesn't seem to differ with the economy between the tyres but how hard the engine has to work at that speed. I've achieved much better economy with load while out camping driving for long distances at 70-80km/hr, economy goes up to 8L/100km.

It's sad but a lot of dealers will look at the economy problem and tell you you're dreaming. A small amount of black smoke is absolutely normal because the turbo hasn't finished spooling up to provide the expected airflow, but it should reduce to near zero visible smoke very quickly (our turbos are not the big old heavy units of yesteryear).

As stated in the previous post, speed is a major factor. We travelled to Melbourne at 95km/h and used 10.2LPHK. On the return we travelled at 110km/h and used slightly over 12LPHK. There was no difference in vehicle load (except a couple of shirts and hats and fridge magnets we'd bought). It's the way air flows around a square object - not very well!

Being as accurate as possible with your fuel economy recording does help. I always write down the trip meter value on the fuel receipt, then reset the trip meter (I also record the odometer as a check, just in case). I don't get to fill at the same bowser every time but the errors can't be too great and with a large capacity tank slight errors would be balanced out in the longer term.

Have found mine blows the least amount of smoke when using BP diesel. And it noticeably less happy on caltex when there is not much left in the tank. It's interesting. I generally drive about 50ks more from when the fuel light comes on.

It's sad but a lot of dealers will look at the economy problem and tell you you're dreaming. A small amount of black smoke is absolutely normal because the turbo hasn't finished spooling up to provide the expected airflow, but it should reduce to near zero visible smoke very quickly (our turbos are not the big old heavy units of yesteryear).

As stated in the previous post, speed is a major factor. We travelled to Melbourne at 95km/h and used 10.2LPHK. On the return we travelled at 110km/h and used slightly over 12LPHK. There was no difference in vehicle load (except a couple of shirts and hats and fridge magnets we'd bought). It's the way air flows around a square object - not very well!

Being as accurate as possible with your fuel economy recording does help. I always write down the trip meter value on the fuel receipt, then reset the trip meter (I also record the odometer as a check, just in case). I don't get to fill at the same bowser every time but the errors can't be too great and with a large capacity tank slight errors would be balanced out in the longer term.

But it's uphill coming up from Melbourne, that's why!

G'day

Your right tony it is pretty sad.

Anyway I've just gotta deal with it, they said I'm due for new tyres in 5000 Kay's so that will be interesting. I plan on going up a size to get the speedo right so economy should get a little better from that.

I plan on doing the egr mod soon so I'll report back on any changes once I've done it.

Cheers

You'll actually find that economy - particularly in the city with the stop-start driving - will get worse. Larger tyres mean it's harder to turn the wheel over (longer lever from axle to outside of tyre) so more juice is needed to get the vehicle going. It'll also feel a little sluggish. I went from 255/70R16 to 265/70R16 (that's a small increase, really - 10mm of width and 7mm of axle height) and wore nearly a whole litre per hundred km of extra fuel consumption.

Your speedo inaccuracy is all in the needle. If you query the ECU, and compare it to a GPS, you'll find that the car actually knows the speed fairly accurately, it just has a stupid dicky needle.

You'll actually find that economy - particularly in the city with the stop-start driving - will get worse. Larger tyres mean it's harder to turn the wheel over (longer lever from axle to outside of tyre) so more juice is needed to get the vehicle going. It'll also feel a little sluggish. I went from 255/70R16 to 265/70R16 (that's a small increase, really - 10mm of width and 7mm of axle height) and wore nearly a whole litre per hundred km of extra fuel consumption.

Your speedo inaccuracy is all in the needle. If you query the ECU, and compare it to a GPS, you'll find that the car actually knows the speed fairly accurately, it just has a stupid dicky needle.

Yep the needle is wrong. By adding larger tires your actual distance traveled will be more than the trip meter is recording. My trip meter on my dx reads 500 when the light comes on when my actual distance traveled is 550kms. This is all due to having larger tires on

G'day

95% of my driving is it at 100-110 on open country rds. Very little stop start at all. If I was still living in Melbourne I would REALLY disapoinnted with the economy because of the stop ad start driving.

My other car is a 4runner with a 5vz v6 in it, up here I actually gained economy with 32" maxis bighorns over the 31" hankooks I had before. Not by much, it gained on average about 1.2 litres per hundred on LPG and about .8 on petrol. Seamed stupid considering I hadn't changed anything else on the car.

The whole reason for this thread was to see how bad mine is to others, it seams some get better than others. I just thought mine seamed to high.

Cheers

Ok I have now added bullbar,winch, spotlights,antenna,snorkle & 2inch lift still getting 750-720 per tank,about 65L,8000klms since new.Hugh

So, after reading about it for a while, I finally checked my economy.
2012 with bullbar and winch on the front, and recovery gear and junk in the back.
Did a run down to Nowra and back, filled before and after from the same pump, and its dead on 10 litres per 100.
My old 2002 Disco with 2.5 diesel with the same stuff on it used to do 9's so I don't know whether to be happy with the number or not! I suppose the old Disco was lighter than the 22?

10L/100km exactly for the last tank, it had been up at 11.2 but since i've been behaving on the freeway and not going over 105 its dropped again so i'm happy.

Latest posts

Back