Dont buy 550 navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gearbox in the new V6 is awesome, very smooth and delivers the power to the ground nicely. the only problem is the way it's programed to upshift even though manual has been selected. It's should be no problem to rewrite the map as they've been doing it to commodores since the early 90's.
And it's not all D40's only the new V6 models.

hi crew,

new to the forum and just bought a v6 stx. Discovered this 'issue' with low range selection whislt our a month ago and I have been activley pursuing Nissan on the matter in WA. Whilst I can appreciate that 'this is the way the vehicle has been designed' I believe that its a fundemental error in a low range 4wd and also unsafe. Vechicle cannot be safely used down a steep decline changing up gears.

the basis for my discussions to date with nissan have been that firstly the balance of their range in d40 is the opposite and they market the car as a vehicle suitable for offroad use includeing low range decsents. if you look in the Manual (same one for v6 and 2.5lt) it actually states under "SAFE FOUR WHEEL DRIVING" to "select first gear M1 on steep decents and donot change gear as this may cause loss of control and vehicle damage"... basically they are openly stating that the current operation of the vehicle is not safe. Ill keep you all posted on the outcome as im not one to back down. If anyone else gets the 'issue' resolved in another way then please post the solution as I will be going ahead on this.

Ok so current status is that Nissan technical team is speaking with legal regarding the matter and will get back to me within a week. I have rang and emailed twice weekly for the past month so I think there will be some action now. Will keep you all posted.

So glad i stuck with my farm truck d22 hearing all these problems makes me pleased i didn't spend 60k for a bag of tricks once you get it set up to get over a large speed bump there goes more k

Would love copies of your e-mails sent so that I could have a crack at Nissan over here in Vic.

No problem jase send me your email address and I will send. I have approached from a safety point of view and I believe that the marketing of the vehicle does not match it's performance.

Ps. Pathfinder 550 gets downhill decent control... I said.. Just fit it to my nav...

Well I finally got a answer out of wholesale automatic transmission and they've pretty much but it in the to hard basket. So they will be get no more business from me if they won't even try.

nchamberlain that's great work mate. I was actually about to go visit my mate that works for Nissan to find out who I can complain to.
If more poeple complain they might listen.

So glad i stuck with my farm truck d22 hearing all these problems makes me pleased i didn't spend 60k for a bag of tricks once you get it set up to get over a large speed bump there goes more k

Maybe even stick with your Massey ferguson happy John, you would have even less tricks to deal with ...
:rofl2:

Come on zakka don't be silly, even our old 96 Massie with no cabin, slipping brakes and worn tyres rode better than a D22.

I posted back on page 3 of this thread, but I can tell everyone now that you can trick the transfer control unit into thinking its in high range and it holds first perfectly in low range. In manual mode it will drive perfectly and only change up when you tap the shifter.

EDITED***

See page 12 for details, as I made some changes on how to do it.

Last edited:
ATTENTION ALL 550 OWNERS
I have just spoken with Nissan Customer Service regarding the issue with Lo Range manual mode up shifting.
They are aware of the problem but also say that this is the normal operation of the vehicle.
Tristan, the customer service operator that I spoke with, agreed that the automatic upshifting is "not an ideal situation" and suggested that "the more people who phone customer service to complain, the quicker something will be done about it".

PHONE NISSAN CUSTOMER SERVICE NOW ON 1800 035 035 AND REGISTER YOUR SAFETY CONCERN TO GET SOMETHING DONE ASAP.

Latest posts

Back