Dont buy 550 navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speed sensor is usually a detectable fault. Don't be surprised if it throws a code every time you flick the switch. What happens if you hold the selector in the downshift position whilst going down the hill?

They told about the possible fault thats why they need the car for a couple days to work around it.
I havn't tried holding the selector in the downshift but I dout it would work as it wont change down from 2nd to 1st unless you have almost stopped !!!

I also hate how it does this but I am pretty sure it's a simple fix. There are 4 switches in the transfer control actuator box and depending on the logic table as to which one is open or closed the transfer control unit knows what range it is. I've looked at the workshop manual and will try a 3 pole switch to trick the TCU into thinking it's in high range. The logic as to which switch is open or closed is all documented in the workshop manual.

I have removed the Transfer control Actuator and know exactly how it all works.

From 2WD a 1/4 turn clockwise selects 4H a further 1/2 turn clockwise selects low range.

I dont think the ECU needs a wheel speed sensor input as it uses the output shaft speed sensor in the transmission.

Will post back after the weekend how it goes.

Last edited:
If you discover a way to fool the car into engaging low-range whilst remaining in 2WD you will make many a tow-er happy (for those that need to reverse up steep driveways, or pull boats from the water).

Wholesale Automatic Transmissions is the company on 4wdtv. I have emailed them about this problem and will let you you's know what they say.

The Hilux is the same, one of the guy's that comes with us all the time has an auto Hilux and he is for ever winging about the same thing.
There is a number of things that can be done to auto's to make them awesome off road.

Also as for the trailer.......... GET ONE WITH ELECTRIC BRAKES

Interesting..... We have the latest model Prado TD Auto which is similar to the Hilux and it definitely does not do this..... I would be surprised if the hilux did do this.....

I didnt say this just to shit on Toyota, i mean why would I as I own a Hilux my self.(its one of the LN106 series but its a yota)

I must however correct myself, When i said "its the same" i meant in the way that he has to use the brakes on any descent the Auto Hilux has no engine braking WHAT SO EVER.

As i said i go wheeling with one every other weekend i go away camping the owners is a very close friends of my wife and mine ,and on descents he is always saying it shits him because he doesnt see my brakes lights and all he is doing is standing on his stop peddle.
So much so that if we ever have a river at the bottom of a hill we have to sit there and wait for his disks to cool down.

They have contacted "Wholesale Automatics' and they have several ways to help correct the issue, but its all $$$$ which my mate cant afford at this point in time.

One of the ways that Wholesale Automatics suggest (which isn't a bad idea if you don't forget to disengage this!) is to lock the torque converter clutch. For several vehicles, they sell a kit that you plug-and-play into your car, flick the switch and bam, the TCC engages giving you a solid driveline.

If you were to engage this in 4LO with the transmission held in first your engine braking would be every bit the same as a manual's.

Wholesale Automatics aren't the most enthusiastic in replying to email queries.

I didnt say this just to shit on Toyota, i mean why would I as I own a Hilux my self.(its one of the LN106 series but its a yota)

I must however correct myself, When i said "its the same" i meant in the way that he has to use the brakes on any descent the Auto Hilux has no engine braking WHAT SO EVER.

As i said i go wheeling with one every other weekend i go away camping the owners is a very close friends of my wife and mine ,and on descents he is always saying it shits him because he doesnt see my brakes lights and all he is doing is standing on his stop peddle.
So much so that if we ever have a river at the bottom of a hill we have to sit there and wait for his disks to cool down.

They have contacted "Wholesale Automatics' and they have several ways to help correct the issue, but its all $$$$ which my mate cant afford at this point in time.

Its a problem in the D4D auto, I took a manual SR5 for a test drive yesterday and what a piece of shit, horrible gearbox and clutch that felt lifted form a hyundai getz (well actually no thats unfair to the getz) I was having to basically force gears into place whereas my D22 just slots in so easily.

The auto though that I drove straight after was ten times better, I said to the salesman why do people spend $50k on this crap for? he also then agreed the manual was crap and much prefers the autos. Having said that I beleive the 4 speed auto in 4Low 1st has a ratio of 23:1 and the 5 speed in v6 has a ratio of 28:1 so slightly better but not as good as the manuals 34:1 (correct me if I am wrong though).

Don't get me wrong I love my manuals but when they put a crap gearbox and clutch in what is meant to be a utility you have to wonder wtf were they thinking... I'd rather a not so low low range then have to put up with the manuals problems.

Last edited:
^ Built for the wife to drive - she controls the purchase after all & would much prefer something more comfortable and easy to drive, so the clutch is a compromise to make the sale. Same thing goes for the 'soft' nature of the D40, push-button 4wd etc etc

wouldn't most women want an auto though? I could be imagining things but Im adamant the auto was faster and had more poke then the manual, although I was slightly worried about smoking their clutch since I signed one of those liability forms and I was in the car by myself so I was doing the whole drive it like you stole it thing.

Nissan shot themselves in the foot by not offering a manual version for the V6 diesel. Nothing against autos but I'm a manual man all the way. Will certainly be keeping my 3.0L D22 for a lot longer now

Jarryd

Maybe they did themselves a favour. More power, DMF, drivers all handling clutch work differently, it could have been a calculated move to eliminate more clutch whines and whinges.

Maybe they did themselves a favour. More power, DMF, drivers all handling clutch work differently, it could have been a calculated move to eliminate more clutch whines and whinges.

If ford can make a 7.3L diesel V8 a manual then why can't Nissan? And same with the Landcruiser troopy V8 diesels.... Surely Nissan can come up with something??

Jarryd

the v8 in the troopy is only 450nm though and 151kw although its peak torque is at 1200rpm which is pretty good.

I'm not suggesting they can't I'm suggesting it's easier not to.

Autos are becoming more popular at the higher end of the vehicle market and Nissan were stuck behind so many deadlines when they first released the 550 (even in the UK they were about 5 months late releasing the model) going with what they already had would have saved them a shitload of work and effort.

Speaking to family friend last week who,s owned and worked at auto transmission shops all his life, we talked towing and auto,s and do,s and don,ts of towing. he tows a 20+ foot van with gu patrol auto petrol and coming down hills he gives a little stab on the gas to lock the auto up again. And i cant remember which vehicle this related too but he made a comment about 2 quick brake applications to help with locking up the auto. It was a family bbq and drinks were had so some details were lost in the alcohol

The V6 diesel in the D40 made by Renault (as the oiler in the Xtrail). Gale Banks does a lot of work with Euro V6 turbo diesels and might be a source of an exhaust brake.
Truckies love 'em and they work on slushboxes as well as manuals. The Dodge, Ford and Chevy diesel pickups have a form of exhaust brake as standard. Gale Banks make them better, much better.
Dunno why no one is making exhaust brakes here, or flash tuners either rather than crappy and expensive chips for that matter. I guess our aftermarket industry is like a lot of our industry, fat, dumb and happy.

The aftermarket industry is also minutely small compared to other markets in the world and producing some aftermarket parts for this part of the world just isn't viable due to costs. It's easy to blame local industry for being fat and lazy but it's not as plain and simple as that across the board.

Latest posts

Back