D40 Euro5 140kW/450Nm EGR

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarneyB

NF Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what's the best EGR "service" kit, or plug in module for the 140kW motor?

Who's running a brand/product/style that works hassle free?

Any I should avoid?

Who's had ecu codes after install?

(apologies if there is already 1000 threads on this... but searching "EGR" doesn't exactly zero-in :))

The newer diesels had a flow sensor in their EGR valves, so the usual "fit a blanking plate" didn't really work very well, it made the ECU chuck a wobbly. People got around this in two ways: either drill a 8-10mm hole in the middle of the blanking plate (allowing some EGR through) or have the EGR routine removed from the ECU altogether. The problem with having the ECU code edited is as soon as Nissan hook up to the car, they'll see the edit and reflash a default program, so you're back as you were before. If it's never going back to Nissan, ,you'll need to see someone who can edit the ECU reliably (I have never done it, or sought this, so I can't help there).

made my own blanks with some 2mm plate.. sensor safe gasket maker over it, nip it up and let it sit for an hour.. tighten up to suit after that.. i have a 2014 d40 with the motor you said.. been in since there was three numbers on the odometer.. now with a quarter of a million and i wouldnt suggest the ecu is any wiser..

made my own blanks with some 2mm plate.. sensor safe gasket maker over it, nip it up and let it sit for an hour.. tighten up to suit after that.. i have a 2014 d40 with the motor you said.. been in since there was three numbers on the odometer.. now with a quarter of a million and i wouldnt suggest the ecu is any wiser..

Yeah nice. I have a decent workshop at home & work to fab the plates if needed.
The bloke from Navlife reckons the ECU will throw multiple codes if I just fit a plate (or two)....but your experience is far more positive.
Seems like it's a bit random / luck-of-the-draw whether you'll get EGR codes & CEL....??

Drilling a small hole in the plate seems too compromised to me. You're still allowing some filthy gases through the engine. (although I understand why people do it).

I guess I'll ask the old fella if he wants to just try the blanks?... or buy a plug-in module.

for the cost of the plate, an hour labour and a tube of gasket goo, if the ecu chucks a tanty and throws its toys outta the cot, unscrew and remove the blanks and be done.. be in about $25

i remember reading here to be wary of those egr delete cables.. may or maynot be for the d40 ( sorry, cant remember the exact detail so please don't rely on this advise) but the story went something like..
be wary because, the egr valve won't open when the motors cold - read by water temp - the ecu slightly over fuels when cold - the egr delete cable tricks the ecu to think the motors cold to stop the egr opening but as a result will forever slightly overfuel..
having the cable won't stop anything passing thru if the cooler fails too

Latest posts

Back