P102B Fault - 2013 Spain D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky12343

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time reader first time poster. I have a 2013 D40 Auto Spain. 220,00kms. Has been a relatively good vehicle, always been serviced, I am mechanically minded but never did the servicing myself.

The truck has been going into Limp mode for approx 6 months, OBDII is quoting fault P102B and occasionally P1028 with it.
It only occurs at low revs when the motor seems to sit at the same revs for a minute or so (freeway cruise control for example).

My regular mechanic plugged is Snap On Scanner into it and it suggested "Software update required".
With that I took the vehicle to Nissan who were most unhelpful, but did install an update to the ECU. They did say there was a note on that software that it would address an issue with code P102B. They refused to look at the car any further even though I was happy to pay for their time.

Unfortunately the software update/patch did not fix the fault. Today I changed the EGT sensor with a new genuine one, and that also did not fix the issue. I have cleaned the MAF sensor. I did find the air intake had been slightly "Dusted" which I am a bit upset about and not something I expected. With that said the intake pipe would not have been cleaned for the life of the vehicle.

I'm now a bit stumped. Going through various forums there does seem to be a bit about this code, but I am yet to find a real solution. Has anyone ever got to the bottom of this?

Much thanks

P102b is is the exhaust temperature sensor SENSOR C ... P1028 EXHAUST GAS PRESSURE SENSOR 1
this may not be revelant ,i had a problem where flap in throttle body had broken teeth on segment gear , would go into limp mode as soon as going up a hill.. when i disconnected the loom the car was okey. do visual on it will be GRINDING noise when running and moving exessively trying to find its position could be interfering with air flow. with engine off the flap should be closed .running should be open , . you should be able to take the electric s off it and expose the gear

I want to update everyone with the solution on my Vehicle (2013 Spain Auto Non DPF). I have been in lockdown due to Covid so was able to spend some good time on it. Dealership and local mechanic would not look at the issue and basically told me to move my 7 year old truck on.
My codes were P102B and P1028. Happening under low revs on freeway, every trip towards the end.

I replaced the exhaust gas temp sensor with a new one but it did not remedy the issue. Tested cabling to ECU and all tested fine, had me stumped.
Then I came across this in the manual

P1028 EXHAUST GAS PRESSURE SENSOR 1
Description INFOID:0000000006106923
The mutual diagnoses performed by comparing signals from exhaust gas pressure sensor 1, turbocharger
boost sensor, and BARO sensor enables the detection of malfunctioning sensors.

Now my D40 seems to have 2 Turbo boost sensors, one mounted to the side of the intercooler, most refer to as "MAF" and a second mounted on top of the motor, routed to the rear of the turbo.

Long story short changing the second one fixed my issues. These are expensive ($400AUD) but picked one up from a wreckers for $50 for now.

I have put 500km on the vehicle without it reoccurring.

Hopefully this helps someone as I was stumped for months, to the point I was about to trade the car in.

Attachments

• 20200810_145808.jpg
    20200810_145808.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 222
I want to update everyone with the solution on my Vehicle (2013 Spain Auto Non DPF). I have been in lockdown due to Covid so was able to spend some good time on it. Dealership and local mechanic would not look at the issue and basically told me to move my 7 year old truck on.
My codes were P102B and P1028. Happening under low revs on freeway, every trip towards the end.

I replaced the exhaust gas temp sensor with a new one but it did not remedy the issue. Tested cabling to ECU and all tested fine, had me stumped.
Then I came across this in the manual

P1028 EXHAUST GAS PRESSURE SENSOR 1
Description INFOID:0000000006106923
The mutual diagnoses performed by comparing signals from exhaust gas pressure sensor 1, turbocharger
boost sensor, and BARO sensor enables the detection of malfunctioning sensors.

Now my D40 seems to have 2 Turbo boost sensors, one mounted to the side of the intercooler, most refer to as "MAF" and a second mounted on top of the motor, routed to the rear of the turbo.

Long story short changing the second one fixed my issues. These are expensive ($400AUD) but picked one up from a wreckers for $50 for now.

I have put 500km on the vehicle without it reoccurring.

Hopefully this helps someone as I was stumped for months, to the point I was about to trade the car in.
Hi Joe, do you recall the OE Part number? I have same issue.

Latest posts

Back