D22 dump pipe

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about one of those too but I found an exhaust fitter to do a custom hi flow 3" dump pipe for almost the same price including install. I'm glad I did too because the studs on the back of the turbo had to be cut and removed to get the old dump pipe off.

Good luck rabbit! Throw up some pics when you're done :)

Did your exhaust guy fit a heat shield? I'm anticipating having to either wrap the pipe, or get some heatshield material from the wreckers. I cant see the original going back on.

Sorry dont know how to post link

Off topic for a moment to address this: posting a link is very easy.

Go to the other window/tab and make sure you have the link right. You can right-click on the link and choose "COPY LINK LOCATION" from the menu (Firefox) - there should be something similar if you're using Internet Exploder.

Come back to your message that you're typing and type something fairly meaningful to call the link - like click here to see my garage. Now highlight this text with your mouse (left-click and HOLD the left mouse button at the start of the text and move the mouse to the right, the text will all highlight). Let go of the mouse.

Now, there's a little icon third from the end of the icon row just above the box you're typing in that looks like a chain link. Yep, click on it and it will say Please enter the URL of your link and in the box below it will say http:// - now you just put your link in there - you can paste it in (remember to make sure the box is empty before you paste) or just type it in. To paste, right-click in the box and choose 'paste'. Click OK and you're done.

In brief:

* Copy the link into your paste buffer
* Highlight the text that will become your link
* Click on the Insert Link button
* Paste the link into the box that appears
* Click OK

your link is complete.

Did your exhaust guy fit a heat shield? I'm anticipating having to either wrap the pipe, or get some heatshield material from the wreckers. I cant see the original going back on.

No. It was left off as I had to cut and reshape it to fit around the top of the new dump pipe and EGT probe. I read somewhere that wrapping was no good and caused damage? Don't know how though. My exhaust guy said that having the factory heat shield removed would make bugger all difference to under bonnet temps but I refitted it anyway.

All fitted, including egt thermocouple and ended up doing egr/butterfly mod and installing a catch-can too.
I see what you mean about the two lower studs, chule, its like nissan doesnt want you to get the dump-pipe off.
Got em prettty easy in the end after an overnight soaking in wd40 and two nuts tightened up over a drop of lock -tite.
Top heat shield went back on with a cut-out to accomodate the new pipe and egt. Lower one was discarded.
Cant tell much about performance, seems to get going earlier in the rev-range, turbo whistle is slightly more audible.
Some happy snaps;

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 199
Iv just orded one of these two, did it have the EGT probe spot already there or did you need to add it after?
How has the lack of heat sheild been on the car? Any visable heat damage to the paintwork?
Cheers for the pics mate! Made a big part in my decision to get one!

Last edited:
No it didnt come with the probe, i drilled and tapped it and used some hi-temp silicone gasket(the orange stuff in the pic). The lower heat shield is unneccisary IMO, hard to tell from pics, but the exposed area of dump pipe is very small, also there is a heat shield attached the the bottom of the firewall anyway.

Cool thanks for the feedback! Cant wait for it to arrive, things take a while to ship down to tasmania, gotta pass customs :)
Plus with the lower hear shield out I mite get a bit more heat in the cabin, and thats a good thing for tassie winters!
The turbo spooling through the lower ranges sounds inviting as well as the old truck charging up some of the sand dunes hear in tassie seems to need just a little bit more as I get to the peak and everythings all slowed down!.
How has the redback system worked for you? I ran redback on my old falcon ute and it was a great system. Is it the same for the d22?
Would love to hear some of the noise to get a feel for how it all goes!

Hey guys,

I guess your talking about the 3.0ltr's? if so my mates from suncoast exhaust and mechanical make 3" turbo back systems for them, they are custom made to the vehicle but will be making a few to be sent out in the next month or so... They build straight threw (no muffler or cat) systems for $650, with a muffler for $790 and a system with a muffler and high flow cat for $950.

Cool thanks for the feedback! Cant wait for it to arrive, things take a while to ship down to tasmania, gotta pass customs :)
Plus with the lower hear shield out I mite get a bit more heat in the cabin, and thats a good thing for tassie winters!
The turbo spooling through the lower ranges sounds inviting as well as the old truck charging up some of the sand dunes hear in tassie seems to need just a little bit more as I get to the peak and everythings all slowed down!.
How has the redback system worked for you? I ran redback on my old falcon ute and it was a great system. Is it the same for the d22?
Would love to hear some of the noise to get a feel for how it all goes!

Yeah, she spools up like a champ now, heaps of go down low. The egr mod doesnt hurt in that department either!
I might look at re-attatching the dump pipe heat shield with a couple of large hose clamps.
The redback system is good, seems like good quality, mandrel bends, single heavy straight thru muffler, fitted perfect, no signs of rust after 5-6 years. Like i said the note is subtle, but its there. I would recommend fitting an entire exauhst rather than just a dump pipe as the step down from 2.5" to 1.75" might caus a restriction. Shop around, if yr local exauhst guy does mandrel bends get a price off him.

Hey guys,

I guess your talking about the 3.0ltr's? if so my mates from suncoast exhaust and mechanical make 3" turbo back systems for them, they are custom made to the vehicle but will be making a few to be sent out in the next month or so... They build straight threw (no muffler or cat) systems for $650, with a muffler for $790 and a system with a muffler and high flow cat for $950.

so are these exclusive of a dump pipe? do they do this on a regular basis?

Beaudesert came with this dump pipe, had egt thread already installed, just capped with a nut.

Attachments

• image-2617245817.jpg
    image-2617245817.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 136
Hi guys,

Just about to buy a Beaudesert system for my 2.5 D22, any feedback on performance and noise. Were you happy with the system? Mine goes in this Friday.

Cheers fellas

Deejay

Hi guys,

Just about to buy a Beaudesert system for my 2.5 D22, any feedback on performance and noise. Were you happy with the system? Mine goes in this Friday.

Cheers fellas

Deejay

I don't have there system, but have you seen the Scott's Rods Systems in 3"? The are well constructed and can be diy aswell. Might save you a few coin?

Hi blokes,

Got the system fitted from Beaudesert on Friday and did a nice run up the coast for a few hours today. Must say I'm well impressed. The piping is perfect, 2 3/4" mandrel bent aluminized mild steel, high flow cat and muffler including larger bore dump pipe fitted for under $1500. I could have bought it in the kit for $300 less, but I'm away from home and had no tools with me. It took them 3.5 hrs to remove and install the system so money well spent in my books as they had all the tooling and hoists etc.

Performance? Wasn't obvious at first, but it's got just a bit more pep. I can climb hills in a higher gear without need to change down one, there is a very subtle note to the system but barely noticable from standard, but it is there. Turbo is very slightly more noticable at lower speed. Already I've decreased fuel consumption and have better throttle response.

I'm now trying to book in with DP Chip to have the chip recalibrated to suit the better breathing system. Very happy with it and am looking forward to towing the new van with it on Monday as it struggled a little off the mark previously, I think the improved performance will be all that was missing.

Stoked!

thats where i got my dump pipe (pics previous pages)

seemed like pretty good quality, except the dump pipe didnt have the littl bracket welded on like the other brands ppl have got.

rabbit-chop said:
thats where i got my dump pipe (pics previous pages)

seemed like pretty good quality, except the dump pipe didnt have the littl bracket welded on like the other brands ppl have got.

My taipan doesn't either. No biggy

Latest posts

Back