Coolant

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyb9999

Reaction score
Ok needed some blue coolant for my 2013 d40. Was told by dealer it would cost $105 for 4 lts. He told me I could top up the res with distilled water as I am only just below the min line, is this ok? My understanding it will just dilute it a little.

factory coolant is supposed to be change after 10 years or 180,000 kms and then every 5 years or 100,000 kms. why do you want to change yours? truck is only 3 years old right?

i have been informed that you should replace the coolant atleast every 20k as after time the coolant can and will gell up causing a blocked radiator core.
you can buy the correct coolant at places like supercheap / repco etc etc and the cost is no more than $50 for a concentrated 5 litres of Nulon brand.
yes for 50 bucks just drain and replace it like you do your oils.

The manual doesn't say when to change the "high-quality, year-round and extended life engine coolant". It does say that you can mix it with either demineralised or distilled water.

It's quite important to get that water right. Boiling water in a jug doesn't demineralise or distill it. Using impure water will allow the coolant to conduct electricity and while it won't ever generate a shock to the occupants of the vehicle or anyone working on it, it's conductive enough to allow free electrons to roam around and cause corrosion of the radiator cores and the engine block/head.

Also, if you are going to replace the whole lot, make sure if it has blue coolant in, you replace it with the blue stuff. Supercheap only sell it in a 5lt bottle that is about $60 for concentrate. So you will need to top it up with demineralised water. It is also recommended to drain the system first and refill with only demineralised water, then run the engine until warm and the thermostat opens to flush all the original blue coolant out, repeat until the water you drain from the radiator comes out clear. Then simply drain the radiator again and fill up with your new blue coolant concentrate and top up with demineralised water as required...

Very interesting what you all had to say. After what Tony had to say i think i might just bite the bullet and top it up with more coolant instead of distilled water. Mine is the blue coolant, will mixing two different brands be a prob? Remembering i only need a small amout to top up it up.

If you use proper distilled you'll be fine. Nissan approve a mix of up to 50/50 so topping it up a little won't hurt at all. I'm pretty sure that distilled water intended for batteries is good.

Very interesting what you all had to say. After what Tony had to say i think i might just bite the bullet and top it up with more coolant instead of distilled water. Mine is the blue coolant, will mixing two different brands be a prob? Remembering i only need a small amout to top up it up.

mixing two different brands is not a problem but dont mix blue with green or red coolant etc. since you just want to top it up just use water mate and you will be fine, even if it takes up to 2 litres depending on how it lost. bleed air to be sure and you will good to go.

Latest posts

Back