Coolant leak

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Have to apologize as it seems I only post when I am having issues. Thankfully that isnt very often.
My 2012 D40 has developed a coolant leak, have narrowed it down to the thermostat housing. Bloody hard to pinpoint it exactly given where it is located but best guess is it is coming from the top where the housing bolts to the block. I have coolant visible on the block from this area and it is a slow drip off the bolt securing the second outlet just behind and below the thermostat housing. I am guessing the second outlet is to do with the heater but anyone know exactly what is called if I need to chase a gasket for it.

I have ordered a new thermostat housing gasket, any help on getting it fitted? Looks like the best access is through the wheel arch and a heap of extension bars and socket. Removing the intake pipe and alternator might give access from above.

I had this same problem I changed out the gasket and thermostat. It was a bit of a pain but with every extension bar I had I got it though the wheel well with only taking the wheel off. But it ended up being the head gasket at the corner right above the thermostat. It was weeping and running over the thermostat so just make sure it's not that. I purchased a brand new head and a timing chain and had it all done.

Thanks for the reply, hopefully not a head gasket issue, I cant see any evidence of coolant higher up on the block.
Certainly a bugger of a place to access with the diff below, turbo almost above alternator blocking access from the front,

Well no luck with changing the gasket, access was a pain but managed to do it through the wheel arch with the wheel and inner guard removed, No obvious signs of damage to the old gasket and still have a leak.
Had to drop daughters car in for a service yesterday and got my mechanic to have a quick look, his thoughts were a porous head but suggested changing the gasket on the upper radiator house flange to the head just in case.
This gasket is also steel and I couldnt get hold of one yesterday so made up one from gasket paper and used a light smear of blue max. Again no sign of damage on the old gasket and still have a leak.
Unfortunately looks like I have a head issue, will give my mechanic a call this morning to discuss options but I know he is snowed under with work. Seriously thinking about giving chemiweld a try as a short term fix until we can replace the head.

Latest posts

Back