Clunk noise steering

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbid-chop

Reaction score
Makes a clunk when driving along and turning a corner. Eg going through a round about, will clunk left and then clunk right kinda midway through steering travel.
Just had it at the mechanic - he reckons he can hear it and feel it but couldn't find the problem (probably because he's too busy to give a shit).
Any thoughts?

Everything feels tight, almost sounds like something is catching mid way through steering wheel travel. Mechanic says he spent an hour looking for something but doesnt know, the only thing he can think of is the steering box.
I'll have another look at some point and see if anything stupid is going on.

maybe disconnect the arm from steering box and turn the steering wheel back and forth. also jack up the front and turn a wheel left and right , you might find where the clunk is coming from.

I think i have the exact same problem.

Thought it was the performance suspensions drag link, replaced it a while back with a standard aftermarket replacement.
But its still doing it might be getting a bit worse.

If i turn the wheel left and right while not moving it will make the sound but i havent been able to pinpoint it.

I reckon i hear it sometimes when going over bumps too (not turning)

Im thinking need to look closer at ball joints and bushes, maybe cvs.

How much movement r u sposed to get in the body mounts? If i pull back abd forth on the bullbar i can just see a bit of movement in the front body mount, they look ok and were torqued to spec a while back prehaps they could do with nipping up.

I think i have the exact same problem.

Thought it was the performance suspensions drag link, replaced it a while back with a standard aftermarket replacement.
But its still doing it might be getting a bit worse.

If i turn the wheel left and right while not moving it will make the sound but i havent been able to pinpoint it.

I reckon i hear it sometimes when going over bumps too (not turning)

Im thinking need to look closer at ball joints and bushes, maybe cvs.

How much movement r u sposed to get in the body mounts? If i pull back abd forth on the bullbar i can just see a bit of movement in the front body mount, they look ok and were torqued to spec a while back prehaps they could do with nipping up.

Yep this is exactly what I've got.

If ur front wheel nuts r loose it will probably feel like your wheel balance is way way out, dont ask how i know. Also if this is the case i dont think it will take long before the nuts come off completely followed by the wheel.

Latest posts

Back