Chatter or knock noise on load

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tezza

Reaction score
Hi all,

Firstly, sorry about all these questions i am asking. Its the first diesel car I have owned so Im not used to all this racket the D40 makes :)

On my car, at times when Im accelerating with some load on the accelerator, it makes a chatter / knocking noise. Its hard to describe, although its like the clatter that you have in diesel engines but just louder.

The sound is not that apparent all the time, and only seems to be louder on load. Ive tried Shell and BP fuels and it doesnt really make a difference.

Now at 200,000km+ could it be possibly the injectors not working as efficiently? Or any other ideas?

Thanks

It could be the fuel rail under pressure and also linked to injectors. I get it with my d22 when I sink the right boot into it. I only noticed it when I stuck the chip in it. I will be purchasing a couple of spare injectors incase one packs it in.

Its really only under slight load, although I havent really sunk the right foot in to check it out.
Would it be best ot book it in for the injectors to be checked out first?

Request a power balance test using consult from a Nissan dealer.
This will highlight an injector problem and which ones. You could ask the dealer using consult to reset fuel pump.Cost is around $120.

That sounds interesting. Maybe I can give that a go first before spending $$$ replacing injectors and that. The problem is, if I go and ask for a test to be done, chances are the advisor will just say why.

Does the power balance test in consult test the spray and "health"of each individual injector? Also, is there a need for the fuel pump to be "reset"

Hey mate I have the same thing I don't know what it is but if I rest my foot on the clutch pedal (not enough 2 engage it just enough 2 take the give out of it) it goes away. Mayb u could try this b4 u spend money. If it is this and u find a fix let me know :)

Sounds like the noise I had with a faulty injector. Recommend Rickstars solution. Injectors very exxy wouldn't replace unless necessary.

Hey mate I have the same thing I don't know what it is but if I rest my foot on the clutch pedal (not enough 2 engage it just enough 2 take the give out of it) it goes away. Mayb u could try this b4 u spend money. If it is this and u find a fix let me know :)

That is a common fault in the D40 manual, its actually air trapped in the clutch lines and Nissan have a "FIX" for it.
Basically because of the lay out of the pipes air gets trapped in the system and no matter how much you bleed it the air doesnt get squeezed out, so Nissan have a small round cylinder to trap the air and prevent the vibration through the clutch lines and therefor stops the noise.

Give Nissan a call and grab one, if its still under warranty the will do it for free, BUT if its out of warranty the may still fix it under so called "GOOD WILL"

I'll give it a go although I think mine is something else. Funny enough when the car is idling and I put slight pressure on the clutch it makes a small amount of noise although I don't know if that's because of the solid flywheel I have in it.

I'll give it a go although I think mine is something else. Funny enough when the car is idling and I put slight pressure on the clutch it makes a small amount of noise although I don't know if that's because of the solid flywheel I have in it.

the solid flywheels have a distinct rattle, almost like an old school diesel knock. dont stress :):rock:

Mines bloody horrible when cold with the my foot off the pedal. I was told it was the input shaft and not to worry. Solid flywheel on mine too btw

Latest posts

Back