Cant decide which chip ! :(

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarts

Reaction score
Have a 2014 D22 wishing to get torque and fuel economy out of.. i have narrowed the chips down to a few which i am considering and was hoping to get some opinions. I have a full xforce 3 inch and egr block & snorkel. With the chip i am planning on fitting a manual boost controller with boost and egt gauges..
I am tossing up between DP Chip, Red Dirt Diesel & Diesel Power Module.

Could someone please steer me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Hey bud well the safest and probably the best chip on the market is the steinbauer but bit pricesy then the others i think they average bout 1850 installed but you 3 inch pipe so you may have to do a dyno

I dont really have the $2300 on a dyno tune that figures arent too flash hot..

I have also heard the Steinbauer doesnt make much difference unless towing which i rarely do.

My mates d40 got 575nm touque out of the steinbauer and that's not even full tune preaty good i got the zd30 motor and i got 493nm touque on low tune

I don't think u will get a lot from a dp chip eather mate Iv never heard a good thing about them on a 2.5lt d22. I'm not saying don't just don't expect a lot of go for ya money. Unichip is the go but about the same price as steinbaeur. The $200 or $300 hundred more would be well spent in the long run at the the end of the day the dp chip is only a fuel rail chip as far as I know and there are far better options in the market for u if you do a little bit more research. good luck with it mate

You all need to have your rig set up properly by a person that knows what they are doing. Not buying shit on the net or taking advice of the inexperienced members here that think they are so correct will help. Having it set up properly boost and a/f ratios's set to the chip you chose upon the advice of the qualified tuner will result in a enjoyable ride...

You all need to have your rig set up properly by a person that knows what they are doing. Not buying shit on the net or taking advice of the inexperienced members here that think they are so correct will help. Having it set up properly boost and a/f ratios's set to the chip you chose upon the advice of the qualified tuner will result in a enjoyable ride...

Couldn't agree more its all in the tune! In saying that there are plenty of shops that know how to talk the product up and sell it and that's about it. My Point was that if u plan on going down to ya nearest tjm or ironman and having a dp chip fitted don't get ya hopes up. Without a dyno tune and a bit of playing around with boost and other parameters u might only pick up 10hp. I have had 2 chips fitted in the time Iv had mine both with custom tunes and the most I got out of it was 106hp And within 15000 klms of the first one I was up for a new fuel rail with only 25000 klms on a new car. Like I said research before u hand ya cash out because the don't like giving ya money back if ya not happy with it. As stated take what u want form forum members as I'm not a diesil tuner im a truck driver but I have had both a roo systems chip and a dp chip fitted with very minimal results

Hey Storm, us truck drivers are smart bastards!. Like you say you had a bad run with roo I almost did but smelt a rat and backed out. Your h/p figures seem low, mine is 152-159 atw after a day of tuning. I probably have more upgrades but yeah anyway!!!

Hey Storm, us truck drivers are smart bastards!. Like you say you had a bad run with roo I almost did but smelt a rat and backed out. Your h/p figures seem low, mine is 152-159 atw after a day of tuning. I probably have more upgrades but yeah anyway!!!

That's more the figures I'm after! Now that Iv done my research I'm set on a unichip fitted buy dieseltuner from this forum, but before I do so I'm saving for a hpd intercooler and a high flow turbo from forefront along side with a few other goodies being fitted at the same time. once they are fitted then chip and tune will be done to suit.so Hopefully 3rd time lucky.

Unichip is the only product on the market worth getting, as stated in previous posts get a well known and respected tuner to install and tune it. Apart from that ECU remapping seems to be the flavour of the month but it is still in its early stages with lots of research and testing being done

So narrowed down to a Steinbauer or UniChip..cheers for help lads. ill go down to south coast 4wd tomorrow and talk to them see what sort of gains ill be getting. Cheers

If your going to go down the chip road. The safest way is the type that adjusts injection timing and pulse width. Injection timing will have a greater effect low down response than just upping fuel rail pressure.

Last edited:
To get more torque, you want longer injection times. More fuel (larger quantity per combustion cycle) will raise both horsepower and torque. If you just want torque, you are looking at Steinbauer (will use more fuel, guaranteed), but injection timing is also important. Take care that the injection period doesn't go too long in the cycle, because diesel burns slow and at higher RPM there may not be enough time in the downstroke for all of the fuel to combust. A perfect example of a low-revving powerhouse:

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf7-ONreQwI[/YT]

I'm not sure if Unichip adjusts injection duration but it does adjust timing.

ChipMyDiesel shortens the injection duration and raises the rail pressure so that the fuel input is the same as without a chip, but ALL of the fuel is delivered earlier in the stroke, so the effect is a larger push on the piston followed by nothing - this equates to more apparent horsepower and less torque. I have a personal issue with fuel rail pressure raises anyway, given that they're already running 1700BAR (1800 for the V9X).

I am not sure about RedDirtDiesel.

I feel that the front runner is Unichip, followed (a fair way back) by Steinbauer. 3rd place is a LONG way behind and was ChipIt, but I am not even sure if they're manufacturing any more.

Thanks old tony! Great input. Unfortuantley Steinbauer is too expensive for my budget ( around $1400 )
Here is the RedDirtDiesel.

http://www.reddirtdiesel.com/nissan-almera-6/nissan-navara-d22-2-5crd-stage2

what i have been eyeing off for a while. Combined with an extra 3psi or so increase in boost should be good.. hopefully fuel consumption will decrease due to not pushing the motor as hard.

Back