Black Smoke - Another One

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t make the assumption it’s a cracked head until it is off. Could be head gasket. Had same problem, not as bad still drivable to a degree. Was the gasket, very obvious.

Probably head gasket.

My nav came with a bonus of a brand new head 10-20000 ago & timing done, serviced to max and alot pf stuff overhauled.

I've had a myriad of issues.. but it does have 300,000 on it.
Lately i 'had' it running lile a dream for a month (in general)

Ongoing issue & possible fix related to your post:

*Heater cold since temp. Egr block.
Think EGR is waaay caked up & not allowing metal either a inlet outlet etc to get hot air to heater

Fix:
Ran Nulon turbo cleaner to fuel for a separate issue with my turbo, which also cleans egr, injectors, and more.
A nice big hit 500ml to 40 litres.

After 150km i noticed some slight warmth behind dash demist vents.
I turned up the dial to 4 for max fanning & turned up the AC part,
With heater dial turned to max.

I noticed it warming up to halfway back to hot! Cheering as its so cold lately. It may improve !?!

With AC back on & heater on full..
no bueno though, only cold air.

So thats a plus my EGR must be taking a cleaning.
Good news until i can afford a replacement soon.

Some cabin heats way better than none & it gets hot and stuffy easily in these Navara cabins anyway, they are super well sealed.
Most I've ever seen actually.

The heater is the highest point in these systems, if you loose heating, its the first sign that you have low coolant and have a leak or something worse. Did you get the air out of the coolant after bypassing erg valve? I believe you need to have the heater on hot while bleeding to achieve this.

Just followed directions just to install the plate & thats that and thats it.

Immediate engine and power improvements, tonnes less smoke, much much less of power under load eg on freeway hills, but suddenly no heater.

Have had zero coolant drop in months following, no leaks,no overheats, just a non existent heater suddenly.

I think theres caked up blocked heater ports coming off the EGR, and have a brand new egr coming.
I expect i might have heater back instantly when fitted.

I have no idea about this bleeding procedure u mentioned, can u advise & refer to other threads on it?

Can anyone else feel free to advise on what they did.
I have seen one other responder say they got the exact same issue as myself of having no heating,
However they had head issues or something following.

Ive had no head issues & my head is new by previous owner done maybe less than 40,000 ago,
Hopefully there isn't about to be an issue with leaks in future thats showing a sign, but like i say, zero coolant loss, zero overheats, car going like a dream.

I've had a couple of near misses in mine with leaks, caught them because the heater stopped working. As it's the highest point you won't notice the lower coolant levels because there will be an air lock that can extend into parts of the head... mine had a bleed point at the firewall where the lines run into the firewall, it extends up slightly to allow you to get the air out. Mine is spanish 06 so yours might be different. Also might be heater control related and not to do with coolant supply to heater... worth while searching out the bleed procedure for your model and year as it's a simple oversight but can be very expensive... if you do have a leak it can mess with vacuum return from the header tank, under vacuum when it cools down. You can suck air instead of coolant out the header tank and build an air lock that way...

EGR doesn't affect the heater. The coolant flowing through the EGR tube placed the egr is actually cooling the EGR down, not heating the coolant up.te Disconnect the hoses from the EGR tube and join them together, then investigate why you're not getting heat - is it a flow problem in the heater matrix inside, or a hose problem in the engine bay?
Iv just replaced my EGR and removed the Blanking and adjusted my turbo to come on a bit quicker. And most all soot has disappeared. Putting a new set of heat plugs in should fix any other soot and cod start. Glow plugs are most forgotten items on these Engines.

I bought the blank egr for $7 from ebay. It arrived so i decided to check what sorta job i'm in for. Checked out a youtube video on how/where to do it. Then opened my bonnet and looked for it ... going from right side, across front, to left side ... but there's nothing. Just a blanked egr plate on the drivers side and no pipes attached to it at all. I'm assuming it's all been ripped out already.
btw, My heaters work a treat.

Latest posts

Back